Doing EM and IM elective at same site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WTEngel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am coming to the end of my first year, and still too stupid to know what I don't know, so I apologize in advance if this seems absurd or appears that I have gross conceptual errors of how the process works...(always on guard from getting flamed!)

I am very interested in EM/IM, and I was wondering about the risks/benefits of doing both an EM and IM elective at the programs I am interested in.

I know this eats up a lot of elective spots (risk) but I am not sure if there is any substantial benefit to be had.

So yeah, just wanted to put this question out there and get some input from people who have matched EM/IM or those that are closer to being matched than I am.

Also, as a side note, has anyone done an EM elective at UIC, or an IM elective for that matter? I was just wondering how competitive it was to get selected for those rotation, and see what I should be doing at this point to increase my odds for selection.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely helpful to do an EM elective at the site you are interested in. IM elective would also be helpful, but I think most student simply do the clerkship at their main site and not an additional general IM elective. Perhaps if you are in a small community hospital IM rotation, it may be helpful to do a rotation at the main academic hospital in IM

Awesome! Thanks for the info, that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for.