2 gen surg letters + 1 medicine letter? Does this work or am I hosed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Art Vandalais

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've fallen out of touch with one of my letter writers. She was fairly pregnant when we had our meeting to discuss writing a letter, and I'm pretty sure she is on maternity leave and not getting around to writing jt anytime soon.

I have 2 surgery letters, one from the department chair and one from a well known trauma surgeon, both of whom know me well and offered their full support, so I would anticipate these being good letters. An attending that I worked closely with during my medicine rotation has offered to write me a 3rd letter so I have him finalized as a LoR writer in ERAS.

I start a gen surg sub-I in October and would likely be able to obtain a 3rd surgery letter, but until then I have no way of getting a 3rd letter from a surgeon. Will this be an issue that precludes me from getting interviews, or is it possible to secure interviews with 2 surgery letters and a medicine letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Though I would say, I've found a couple of female surgeons who've claimed to have more free time than usual while on maternity leave...

If you think she might write a good letter, it doesn't hurt to ask/remind...

Reactions: 1 user