1st Gun Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pie944

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Sig SP 2022, came with laser attachment which I plan to remove for the time being, or at least avoid using.

Had been debating my first gun purchase for 6-8 months due to moving to a city with a higher crime rate, and moving in with my fiancee(now wife). Unfortunately, I put it off, and our house was broken into last night while I was working a night shift. Being stuck at the hospital while something occurs at your house and getting intermittent updates afterwards(SMS most of the time) ranks as one of the worst feelings I've experienced. No one was home(the best part of this), relative staying with us lost an iPad and Laptop. Two other houses in the area were broken into as well. Overall, not bad compared to what could have been(Wife could have been at home while the break in occurred and without the relative who just came back from Afghanistan)

Went to the a couple stores today, original thought was a shotgun but the major limitation was finding a site I could practice at(not one single gun experience prior to today). The closest site was a two hour drive and since I want to be proficient I figured this wasn't the best choice. Regardless, the shotgun I looked at seemed very appealing and if not for this limitation might have been my first purchase.

Decided to go to a range and tried a Glock 9mm and Glock 0.40 Caliber. In the end, based on price, comfort level, feel, size, decided to purchase the above handgun.

Just wanted to say thanks to the people who contributed to prior threads on this subject over the years, plan to read them over again at a slower pace as opposed to the frantic one last night.

Will let you know how the learning experience at the gun range goes, hopefully a trip tomorrow. I'll write more about the first experience earlier today sometime soon, which brought back awkward embarrassing feelings not experienced since my teenage era.

Members don't see this ad.

I like Sigs. :)

I also like: good locks, an alarm, a dog, and a couple cameras.

Subletting, locks being upgraded with a new door.

Got complacent with the alarm system, mistake.

She has a cat. I don't think it moved. I've been wanting a dog since I was a kid, I'm still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite a few dogs wouldn't have moved, either. I'm not convinced the average dog does much to deter crime, at least not the dog most Americans own. If you have a territorial dog that barks every time a stranger comes to the door, then your neighbors are accustomed to that dog barking every time a stranger comes to the door. When I hear dogs barking, I don't think, "Damn, someone's breaking into my neighbors house!"

Multifaceted system like pgg has is best.

Nice choice of weapon. Sig > Glock. Having said that, most people buy Glocks for home protection because its very easy to use (point and shoot), not many problems occur with them (less chance of jam in the hands of an amateur), can handle lots of abuse, low maintenance, and doesn't have many moving parts. However, if you are not a complete amateur then I would go for the Sig. If you ever end up desiring some more firepower, I would upgrade to a Sig P226 :thumbup:

Good choice, 9mm or 40?

Buy some reasonably cheap ammo for practice, but don't skimp on the stuff you carry for defense.

Do some research on proven loads, but pay close attention to the source of the info and the methodology. As a starting point I recommend Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo.

Nothing wrong with a Glock. Many if not most of the domestic self defense experts still have the Glock as their carry weapon of choice. I will be in El Paso in the near future and will be taking my Glock 19 as a backup to my primary S&W 66 357. It will be loaded with Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC). I have a few Sigs, but have never been as accurate with them.

- pod

Last edited:
Although we spend a lot of time talking about gear, tactics, and training, I believe the most important foundational issue is mindset, and in that regard I have a very different mindset than many of the individuals that I associate with.

Intrinsic to the decision to arm oneself is the issue of willingness to kill another person. No euphemisms, you are determining your resolve to kill another person.

Hesitation at the moment of truth (gun drawn and pointed at a threat) can result in lethal consequences to ourselves or the individuals that we are attempting to defend so we must know before we draw our weapons that we are willing to complete the task.

So what are you willing to kill for? iPad? Laptop? (Not to pick on the OP). This is where my mindset diverges significantly from that of many of my friends. I am not willing to kill for anything that I would not be willing to die for. There are no material goods that I am willing to kill or die for. They are largely meaningless to me. However, I am willing to kill or die for my family and friends. If you come after me or my family, expect to be met with lethal force, even if I only think you might be presenting a threat. And know that if and when I draw my weapon there will be no hesitation in completing the task.

Many of my friends feel differently and would not hesitate to utilize lethal force in the defense of property. I strongly defend their right to do so, but personally I do not choose that route.

- pod

Good choice, 9mm or 40?

Buy some reasonably cheap ammo for practice, but don't skimp on the stuff you carry for defense.

Do some research on proven loads, but pay close attention to the source of the info and the methodology. As a starting point I recommend Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo.

Nothing wrong with a Glock. Many if not most of the domestic self defense experts still have the Glock as their carry weapon of choice. I will be in El Paso in the near future and will be taking my Glock 19 as a backup to my primary S&W 66 357. It will be loaded with Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC). I have a few Sigs, but have never been as accurate with them.

I noticed that you state your primary weapon is a revolver (S&W). Why is that? Predictability and reliability? I recently also bought a gun for the first time and, after some research, settled on a S&W 627 (8 bullet capacity). I love it but have been debating about getting a semi-auto also or just focusing on getting more comfortable and accurate with my revolver for now.

I don't rely on my dog to do anything. To tell the truth, if he was the sort I thought might ever bite anybody, I wouldn't have him.

He's 140 pounds of doofus, but he sure is scary looking. My hope is that a would-be burglar or home invader would see or hear him, and decide to go after another house.

doofus.jpg

That picture's a few years old. He's pretty gray now, and his bones creak when he gets up, but he still sounds positively ferocious. :)

I couldn't agree more with pod that mindset is important. Much of the task is deciding that if that day comes, you'll be willing to act.

Grossman's book On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society is a good read. It's not perfect and I'm not totally on board with all of his conclusions, but one of the big recurring themes is that most humans are hardwired to NOT harm other human beings, and that extensive preparation, training, and conditioning are necessary to get normal people to kill other people, even in the course of legal, morally-sanctioned, popular wars. Many people placed in such situations simply won't act - and a lot of them who thought they would act, didn't.

One semantic quibble though, if you're shooting someone to defend yourself or another from a real and imminent threat of great bodily harm, you should be shooting with the intent to stop, not the intent to kill. You have to be willing to accept the death of the assailant, but that's not your primary goal. The police and the jury do not want to hear you say you "shot to kill" ...

I noticed that you state your primary weapon is a revolver (S&W). Why is that? Predictability and reliability? I recently also bought a gun for the first time and, after some research, settled on a S&W 627 (8 bullet capacity). I love it but have been debating about getting a semi-auto also or just focusing on getting more comfortable and accurate with my revolver for now.

I have always been a revolver fan. The old joke goes, what is the malfunction drill for a wheel gun? Pull the trigger again. While this is not entirely true, it largely is. I suppose that if you drop a revolver and a semi auto in a pile of sand that is of the appropriate size grit and then rub both handguns around, it is more likely that the revolver cylinder will jam up than the semi auto action. There is also a concern for crimp jump when using light bullets and/ or revolvers with a large recoil to weight ratio. For example, crimp jump is a major issue with Little Miss Nasty, my 25.1 oz, airlight Smith and Wesson 329pd

However, the reason my Smith and Wesson 66-3 is my primary weapon is much more mundane. I shoot best with it. Both hands, strong hand, weak hand, awkward positions... In every facet of shooting, I am remarkably more accurate with that small, round butt grip. I wear a size 7.5 sterile glove which gives you an idea of my hand size (although my fingers are a bit longer than the glove size would indicate.

The 6-shot limit is somewhat anemic compared to the 15 round capacity (plus quick reload with another 15 round magazine) of my G-19, but my shots will be more effective.

- pod

One semantic quibble though, if you're shooting someone to defend yourself or another from a real and imminent threat of great bodily harm, you should be shooting with the intent to stop, not the intent to kill. You have to be willing to accept the death of the assailant, but that's not your primary goal. The police and the jury do not want to hear you say you "shot to kill" ...

When I explore arming myself, I've always figured I would spend as much time learning how to disable an attacker rather than go for the kill.

WIth a handgun, what's the best shot for this? The hips? Shoulder? Knee? I could go liver, but I really don't want to call in one of those crime scene cleanup crews to remove 1 L of blood from my carpet. Plus that's more of a slow kill.

I have always been a revolver fan. The old joke goes, what is the malfunction drill for a wheel gun? Pull the trigger again. While this is not entirely true, it largely is. I suppose that if you drop a revolver and a semi auto in a pile of sand that is of the appropriate size grit and then rub both handguns around, it is more likely that the revolver cylinder will jam up than the semi auto action. There is also a concern for crimp jump when using light bullets and/ or revolvers with a large recoil to weight ratio. For example, crimp jump is a major issue with Little Miss Nasty, my 25.1 oz, airlight Smith and Wesson 329pd

However, the reason my Smith and Wesson 66-3 is my primary weapon is much more mundane. I shoot best with it. Both hands, strong hand, weak hand, awkward positions... In every facet of shooting, I am remarkably more accurate with that small, round butt grip. I wear a size 7.5 sterile glove which gives you an idea of my hand size (although my fingers are a bit longer than the glove size would indicate.

The 6-shot limit is somewhat anemic compared to the 15 round capacity (plus quick reload with another 15 round magazine) of my G-19, but my shots will be more effective.

- pod
nice gun. I like it. By the way my Smith and Wesson revolvers have 8 shot capacity. 8 shots of .357 magnum will stop any human being on the planet dead in his tracks.

The accuracy of 6 shot Rugers and 8 shot Smith and Wessons are superior in my hands compared to most of my other pistols. I can come close with my custom CZ shadow or 1911 .45 but only my smith and Wesson model 41 (.22 LR) surpasses the accuracy of my revolvers.

I'd sure like to get a Colt python 6" SS in mint condition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even in 2012 the Colt Python is probably the best mass produced revolver ever made

Agreed. That is why I own 6 of them. I have a stainless one that I will make a good deal on for you, 12 rounds through it since it left the factory, but it is a strike era Python. I also like the Anaconda, but it doesn't seem to hold up to the beating that I give it.

If you look closely at 46 seconds into the video, the crane lock screw on that Puthon is about to fall out.

I still can't shoot my Pythons as well as I can my S&W 66 even though it feels smoother in my hand. Maybe it will be different when I finally get my custom grips made for it.
-pod

When I explore arming myself, I've always figured I would spend as much time learning how to disable an attacker rather than go for the kill.

WIth a handgun, what's the best shot for this? The hips? Shoulder? Knee? I could go liver, but I really don't want to call in one of those crime scene cleanup crews to remove 1 L of blood from my carpet. Plus that's more of a slow kill.

A very dangerous tactic both practically and legally speaking which is why this concept is actively discouraged in self defense and police training. You either are or are not justified in utilizing deadly force.

If you believe that injuring your opponent is sufficient to stop the threat and therefore you aim to injure, then you have no standing to justify your use of deadly force. If you are unwilling to use deadly force to kill, then you should research less than lethal remedies. Deadly force should be employed only when there is no other alternative, then it should be employed without hesitation to eliminate the threat. Yes, the moral underpinning of the tactic is to stop the threat, but this tactic should only be utilized when, in your judgement, there is no alternative but to kill the threat and then it should be undertaken without hesitation.

No euphemism to make it more palatable. You are choosing to kill another person to end a threat. If, in the course of carrying out your plan, the threat is stopped, then you can re-examine the situation to determine if further use of deadly force is justified and necessary.

Semantics are important and should be considered when talking to the cops/ lawyers/ judges.

- pod

Good choice, 9mm or 40?

- pod

40. So far loving it, eye opening.

When I was testing the Glock 40 I was sold Blazer Model 5210 Brass Ammunition, 40 S&W Caliber, 165Gr. At this place today was sold Winchester 40 Smith & Wesson 180 Gr Full Metal Jacket. Knowledge of ammunition is zero, so I'll be looking at the link tomorrow.

Brother In-Law came with me today to the range, he rented a Colt AR-15, had me fire a few rounds from that too.

Will write more about the past few days tomorrow during the games, just finished the drive to my parents' house for the holiday weekend.

Enjoy the day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Agreed. That is why I own 6 of them. I have a stainless one that I will make a good deal on for you, 12 rounds through it since it left the factory, but it is a strike era Python. I also like the Anaconda, but it doesn't seem to hold up to the beating that I give it.

If you look closely at 46 seconds into the video, the crane lock screw on that Puthon is about to fall out.

I still can't shoot my Pythons as well as I can my S&W 66 even though it feels smoother in my hand. Maybe it will be different when I finally get my custom grips made for it.
-pod

Grips make all the difference in the world on revolvers. While I like my wood grips for the looks I prefer the extra thick hogue grips or pachymar grips. I put a thick SW 500 hogue grip on a few of my guns. That extra thick grip fits most .357 SW revolvers and is a superior grip for control/recoil.

I'm no expert on Pythons but I know there is a lot of junk Out there selling for high prices. I'd love to buy one or two but I'm hesitant to get one without examining it first.

For the money I love those Rugers. They aren't as fancy as Custom Smith and Wesson but they are built like tanks and shoot straight. You can get one for $525-550 brand new at some dealers. The GP 100 is a great revolver with a great hogue grip. I have the 4",5" and 6" GP 100s and they are all great guns.

When I was testing the Glock 40 I was sold Blazer Model 5210 Brass Ammunition, 40 S&W Caliber, 165Gr. At this place today was sold Winchester 40 Smith & Wesson 180 Gr Full Metal Jacket. Knowledge of ammunition is zero, so I'll be looking at the link tomorrow.

Both are fine for practice ammo, but full metal jacket (FMJ) ammo is sub-optimal for defensive purposes. It does not expand and it over penetrates. What you end up with is a 40 cal hole in the subject with little damage. You will want something with a hollow point that is designed for defensive use.

I shoot a lot of Blazer brass and PMC ammo for practice because it is cheap and I can reload the brass for even cheaper. I avoid the Wolf and Tula ammo even though it is a little cheaper than the Blazer or PMC.

I would look into finding one of these loads for defensive use.

- Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP (53962)
- Federal Tactical 180gr JHP (LE40T1)
- Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

But that shows my bias for heavier bullets. There are other good loads with lighter bullets if that floats your boat.

Have a great Turkey Day and have fun on the range!

- pod

Grips make all the difference in the world on revolvers. While I like my wood grips for the looks I prefer the extra thick hogue grips or pachymar grips. I put a thick SW 500 hogue grip on a few of my guns. That extra thick grip fits most .357 SW revolvers and is a superior grip for control/recoil.

Yep, my 329 pd wears the 500 Hogue grips like this one.

329-1.jpg

The only problem I have with it is that the rubber really grips the skin on my hands and tears it up after extended shooting sessions. I like the grip to have a little slip on the high recoil guns.

Colt revolvers of any sort are a dangerous game right now. Overpriced and there are a lot of folks trying to pretty up grandpa's worn out sidearm and sell it as mint. There are a couple of dealers that I trust to do their due diligence before selling to me and I only buy from folks who give a no questions asked return period of reasonable length. This gives me time to inspect the weapon in the comfort of my home without the time pressure of a gun show for example.

- pod

So what are you willing to kill for? iPad? Laptop? (Not to pick on the OP). This is where my mindset diverges significantly from that of many of my friends. I am not willing to kill for anything that I would not be willing to die for. There are no material goods that I am willing to kill or die for. They are largely meaningless to me. However, I am willing to kill or die for my family and friends. If you come after me or my family, expect to be met with lethal force, even if I only think you might be presenting a threat. And know that if and when I draw my weapon there will be no hesitation in completing the task.
- pod

I agree, property can be replaced. Not worth it.

Went to two shops, same company but different locations.

First one lacked shotguns, also didn't have a range so he recommended I go to the 2nd store. Both places the workers behind the counter were great, explained everything and answered all the questions without making feel like too big of an idiot. Even simplified the various gun companies to car models.

The 2nd location I looked at were the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 series. The main problem was the two hour drive to shoot at unless I had property somewhere closer. I wouldn't be able to go as frequently as I want to, so looked towards handguns. I also didn't want to purchase anything without using it first. However, I can see myself buying one in the future, both felt good.

Fired a Glock 9mm first, I think I was expecting the kickback to be much worse than it was. Every since I was a kid I could only close my left eye, so even though I'm left handed I'm started to shoot with my right hand. I do certain things right handed, so that has not been a big adjustment. Right now just shooting with two feet planted and facing forward, I figure eventually practice shooting from the side.

Looked at the gun selection some more, talked about if the gun will be kept at home versus carried, both now and in the future. At the end of the day the Sig was in my price range and felt the best compared to the others. So I tried the Glock 40 just to get an idea of the 40 vs 9, 40 felt good, so bought the Sig after more discussion. Overall, spent 3-4 hours at both stores combined, talking, holding various guns, and firing in the range before the purchase. This doesn't include the time spent the night before looking at various online information.

I'd say the biggest downfall is the lack of a safety on the gun. Right now when it is in the house, gun kept in one location, and loaded magazine kept in another location, both easily accessible but not sitting out in the open. Currently no kids in the house, how do you guys handle the benefits of a safe versus the time delay in accessing the gun?

2nd day at the range was much better than the first; in general handling the gun, loading the magazine, etc, were all done more efficiently. Shooting went better as well, both precision and accuracy, however I still have a tendency to shoot lower than my intended target. Bought a case as well.

Ideally, plan on going once a week to every other week during this initial period.

Would you guys get a CCW now even though I'm not planning to utilize it anytime soon?

Other courses you recommend?

Thanks for the ammunition advice. Do most people buy ammunition online? Or just purchase at local stores? Worth getting a 2nd magazine?

Take Care.

Personally I store/ carry in condition 3 (hammer down on an empty chamber). There is lots of debate about this, but I have little kiddos around and if somehow they get ahold of one of my guns, they won't be able to do any damage with it. The time it takes for me to rack a slide is pretty minimal. Of course my revolvers I carry in condition 2 (hammer down on a loaded chamber) except for revolvers without some sort of transfer bar safety mechanism where I revert to condition 3.

I buy ammo wherever I can find it cheapest.

This week I bought

400 Federal Gold Medal Match .308WIN 168GR MK BTH at 19.99 per box from Cabelas
2k of PMC 223 for 6.99 per box locally
a bunch of assorted 270 locally
and 223 reloading components online.

Always looking for a good deal

It should get me through the end of the year.

- pod

Last edited:
Yep, my 329 pd wears the 500 Hogue grips like this one.

329-1.jpg

The only problem I have with it is that the rubber really grips the skin on my hands and tears it up after extended shooting sessions. I like the grip to have a little slip on the high recoil guns.

Colt revolvers of any sort are a dangerous game right now. Overpriced and there are a lot of folks trying to pretty up grandpa's worn out sidearm and sell it as mint. There are a couple of dealers that I trust to do their due diligence before selling to me and I only buy from folks who give a no questions asked return period of reasonable length. This gives me time to inspect the weapon in the comfort of my home without the time pressure of a gun show for example.

- pod

I like that revolver. Beautiful piece

Some basic but useful information.

If someone breaks into your home while your away, they mean to take stuff.

If the break in while you are home, they mean to do you harm in the process of taking stuff.

If they break in while you are home they have already decided that they don't care if they must kill you to get your iPad, and you MUST respond with the same resolve in defending your life.

If you choose to use less than lethal force, you are assuming that some level of pain will make them reconsider their objective.

The only way to neutralize a threat with any certainty, is to kill it.

We all know that a couple of bullets doesn't kill like it does in the movies, it may take some time to die.
May even give the trauma surgeons several trips to the OR and several weeks or months in the ICU...

This is why it is imperative that you must be prepared to 'shoot to kill' rather than give the attacker an opportunity to continue in spite of a few holes and hurt you or your family.

Having spent a lot of time on the range with a pistol, rifle, and shotgun, I have a shotgun for home defense and a choice of pistols for when I travel with the family. In the house, where space is not an issue, I would always pick a shotgun or a rifle over a pistol, but I am sure there are good reasons to have a pistol in the house as well. I like the Glock / Springfield XD mainly b/c I know none of my kids can work the slide mechanism to put it in condition 1. My pistols are safely stored in the gun safe in the garage until I go to the range or go camping.

I have never heard of anyone breaking into a house in my neighborhood either... probably since most everyone here is armed and well trained in the use of firearms.

My choice...

IMG_0144.jpg

S&W 686, 7 shot 357 magnum

Glad I had my xdm last night. 11:30 at night and some lady starts ringing our doorbell and pounding on our door like somebody is dying outside. Looked through the peep hole and didn't recognize her. Had grabbed my xdm out of the quick access safe on the way downstairs. Decided to open my door (looking back on it, wish I would have tried to talk to her through the door) a little bit with my xdm hidden from view. She gives some story about a lost dog, I tell her that I haven't seen any lost dog and shut the door. She walks down the driveway and motions to somebody sitting in a truck down the street... Then heads towards the neighbors. Cops get called. Doors and windows get double checked and I go to sleep with my pistol by my bed.

Debriefing in my mind: shouldn't have opened the door... Should have tried hollering through the door, who knows what could have been waiting out of view. Should have really paid more attention to details about identity, to give the cops. Nothing bad happened, not really happy with how I handled everything, but I learned a lot from it... Will apply what I learned to the next time it happens (if it does). The lady and the truck had left by the time the cops got here. No idea what really was going on, but got the feeling that they were looking for houses that were empty b/c of the holidays.

Congrats on your purchase, really glad that nothing bad happened to you or your family. Stuff can be replaced, but my wife and kids being in danger would make me pull the trigger. I hope that nothing similar happens to you again.

Any opinions on Ruger Mini 14 or 30?

For what purpose?

When I first moved to California, I couldn't bring my AR rifles. While I was awaiting a military permit for them, my brother loaned me his Mini 14. It was a fun range gun, and any rifle is better than no rifle, but I didn't like it as much as my AR15s. When I got the permit, I gave the Mini 14 back.

Today I have half a dozen AR type rifles but no Ruger Minis. I prefer a California-crippled AR15 (magazine lock & 10rd magazines) to a stock Mini 14. If not for CA laws my first choice as a home defense gun would be a short-barreled suppressed AR. Maneuverable, accurate, effective, both hands, high magazine capacity, fragmentation reduces risk of overpenetration. The only downsides are the cost, tax stamps, and ATF wait.

You are right, CX4. I thought that was a depressed selector switch above the trigger, but I see that the CX4 has a button there too. The barrel length should have given it away.

-pod

Beretta Cx4 Storm. Nice.

I've got AR15s. But, my CX4 storm is reliable and easy to shoot. I've got a flashlight and Eotech sight on it. I can hit just about anything within an inch up to 100 yards.

The AR15 is a much Better combat weapon especially with a 5.56 round but my 9 mm Storm is a great home defense weapon and range gun.

I keep the AR15s, CX4 Storm and other rifles stored away. I keep my shotgun and 2 handguns by the bed. I never feel as if those weapons aren't sufficient for home defense.
Honestly, a good, real guard dog combined with a decent security system is a solid first line of defense followed by the firearm of your choice (one you know how to use well).

My Current Choice-- Colt 1991 .45. So far has been a great gun.

Attachments

• Colt-1991.jpg
    Colt-1991.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 84
Look into crossbreed holsters, a comfortable holster will dramatically increase the likelihood you are armed on any given day....and practice with the cheap ammo, always carry hollow points.....and yes, only draw if you are prepared to end a life

Welp, if this is turning into a gun porn thread, here's my carry piece: Smith & Wesson 640 Pro. Pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.

20120512151947582.jpg

My other firearm is a Beretta 92 FS which lives by the bed.

Welp, if this is turning into a gun porn thread, here's my carry piece: Smith & Wesson 640 Pro. Pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.

20120512151947582.jpg

My other firearm is a Beretta 92 FS which lives by the bed.

That's my carry piece as well. I keep standard hollowpoint .38 ammo in it because the plus P
Ammo is too much for that 15 ounce gun

Hooray gun porn. No pics, but my HD gun is a remington 1187 with a 5 round shell sleeve full of #1 buck. Next gun on the purchase line up is a ruger mk ii/iii - spring loan money present!

A very dangerous tactic both practically and legally speaking which is why this concept is actively discouraged in self defense and police training. You either are or are not justified in utilizing deadly force.

If you believe that injuring your opponent is sufficient to stop the threat and therefore you aim to injure, then you have no standing to justify your use of deadly force. If you are unwilling to use deadly force to kill, then you should research less than lethal remedies. Deadly force should be employed only when there is no other alternative, then it should be employed without hesitation to eliminate the threat. Yes, the moral underpinning of the tactic is to stop the threat, but this tactic should only be utilized when, in your judgement, there is no alternative but to kill the threat and then it should be undertaken without hesitation.

No euphemism to make it more palatable. You are choosing to kill another person to end a threat. If, in the course of carrying out your plan, the threat is stopped, then you can re-examine the situation to determine if further use of deadly force is justified and necessary.

Semantics are important and should be considered when talking to the cops/ lawyers/ judges.

- pod

In addition to reemphasizing what pod said (which is 100% accurate), put yourself into the mindset you'd be in if you were about to discharge a firearm at another person (who will additionally likely be a moving and armed target) - do you really feel you have the skill and composure to direct aim anywhere other than center mass? Every bullet leaving the barrel goes somewhere - better in the BG than through the wall and god knows where.

That's my carry piece as well. I keep standard hollowpoint .38 ammo in it because the plus P
Ammo is too much for that 15 ounce gun

Is yours an aluminum or scandium frame? The gun I pictured above is a 640 and all stainless, so it weighs in at 23 oz empty. I keep 158 gr .357 hollow points in it. The extra weight makes a difference.

Maybe out of an all tungsten j frame .357 SD loads would be enjoyable :)