18 years old, 3.7 GPA, what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minminzee

MCAT: 507 GPA: 3.7 LizzyM: 66 WARS: 68
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently 17 years old and I plan on taking the MCAT in May 2018 and then I'll apply to medical schools and I'll be 18.

I will graduate with my bachelor's next Fall in December 2018 and I currently have a 3.70 GPA
What are my chances that I'll be accepted to medical school right away at 18 years old? I've heard that age can play a factor and schools don't want students that are too young.

If my maturity is in question, I want you guys to know I consider myself mature enough especially since I started college at 14 (dual enrolled)

I have been shadowing at a psychiatrists office and a family med doctor. I also volunteered with a physical therapist for over 100 hours. I have also been volunteering at a religious Sunday school(3+ years) and my place of worship(7+ years)

I am also part of a research lab at my university(1 year now). I also tutor in General chemistry and general psychology (first semester).

What else do I need to ensure that I get accepted other than an amazing MCAT score? Will I be accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not to discourage you but IMHO it's unlikely you'll be accepted. Med school breaks people. You don't have any real world experience (like working a job) that shows that you are mature enough. Med schools are likely to view you as a risky candidate who might drop out.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a certain school which I won't name (it's optometry, so I guess it doesn't matter anyways) that accepted an 18 year old. As exciting as it may be to have someone this young and so driven, the admission committee openly admitted they were worried because there's the whole maturity aspect. College doesn't make one more mature, time does. If I were you, I would work at a medical clinic as an assistant or do research on something medically related for about a year, maybe 2. I don't want to discouraged you, in fact, go ahead and take the MCAT if you're ready. But understand med schools will think you're not mature enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
alternatively, you could kill the MCAT and then spend 2-3 years beefing up your application to ivy caliber. get some research publications etc. if i was that young, i would be in no hurry to go straight into medical school. you have a gift. use it wisely!!!

Reactions: 7 users
alternatively, you could kill the MCAT and then spend 2-3 years beefing up your application to ivy caliber. get some research publications etc. if i was that young, i would be in no hurry to go straight into medical school. you have a gift. use it wisely!!!
this is a good idea

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently 17 years old and I plan on taking the MCAT in May 2018 and then I'll apply to medical schools and I'll be 18.

I will graduate with my bachelor's next Fall in December 2018 and I currently have a 3.70 GPA
What are my chances that I'll be accepted to medical school right away at 18 years old? I've heard that age can play a factor and schools don't want students that are too young.

If my maturity is in question, I want you guys to know I consider myself mature enough especially since I started college at 14 (dual enrolled)

I have been shadowing at a psychiatrists office and a family med doctor. I also volunteered with a physical therapist for over 100 hours. I have also been volunteering at a religious Sunday school(3+ years) and my place of worship(7+ years)

I am also part of a research lab at my university(1 year now). I also tutor in General chemistry and general psychology (first semester).

What else do I need to ensure that I get accepted other than an amazing MCAT score? Will I be accepted?

You may consider that, but it's really up to the Adcoms to determine, especially your interviewers.

You need more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Come back when you have your MCAT score and we can advise better.

Reactions: 1 user

Hmm I would question your ECs to a degree.. I bet you'd be competitive at the schools that have a religious component (Loma Linda). But there's no rush here OP..

You may consider that, but it's really up to the Adcoms to determine, especially your interviewers.

You need more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Come back when you have your MCAT score and we can advise better.
Do you think he might be accepted if he spent a year doing Americorps and earned a 520+ MCAT, in spite of his youth?

Can't tell if you're being facetious...humor doesn't travel well over the electrons.
I've heard tell that there are some medical schools that have a blanket policy of not accepting applicants younger than 20 years old.