This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillyW

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD schools are not realistic with your MCAT of 499. You could a receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
NYIT-AR
ACOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Rowan
Noorda-COM
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews.
Let us know what your new MCAT score is in July and you may be able to apply to MD schools or add more DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your service. You need to focus on the MCAT and identify military-friendly programs through networking.

Read

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will be screened out at every single MD school with your current MCAT and unless you’re scoring 510’s on your FL exams, MD is not a realistic route unfortunately.

DO schools are your only option and I would apply to every single DO school on Faha’s list, given that you’re mission-fit. Do you have any community service hours targeting specific populations, such as underserved or rural, through your military? Or would you have any non-clinical volunteering experiences that may pertain to more human-related activities such as mentorship, etc.?

Reactions: 1 users
Much appreciated. I have a strong contact within the local schools here that helps admissions for one and is heading up a program for another (intentionally vague), but unfortunately my wife and I were trying to move back to where we're both from for family reasons. Otherwise I would feel more confident with this situation.
That makes sense. You should also be able to reach out to those target schools then. Your experience networking with your local schools should help you there.
I have sporadic community service, but had nearly zero time to volunteer during the past 2 years with full time school, full time work, and monthly military reserve duties that always required more time than just the normal "weekend per month." I'm hoping to get started with a fitness volunteering group for disables individuals, but that wouldn't be until after I separate from the reserves in August. Most of my "service" otherwise is military oriented in additional duties like fitness program manager, mentoring sessions for new airmen (finance, general adulthood stuff), and public speaking.
Your military service counts as community service already. After you move, starting such a group sounds great.

Give us an update after you get your MCAT score, and if you are comfortable, let us know the schools you will target due to your geographic constraints.

You could receive interviews at MD schools with your new MCAT of 508 and I suggest these:
Your 3 South Carolina state public schools
East Tennessee
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
The 3 New Jersey state public schools
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU
For DO schools I suggest these:
NOVA
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Rowan

Reactions: 1 user
Given that it's the end of the cycle, I thought I'd update which schools I got into to validate the great lists that I was given.

Aceppted to Quinnipiac, MUSC, PCOM, Touro-Harlem
Waitlisted at Brown (surprised to even interview), NYITCOM, and Albany
Withdrew from UofSC-SOM

In total, I recieved 9 II's from a strictly SC & Northeast school list.

And since I deleted everything here for some reason, I had a 508 MCAT / 3.85 GPA and spent a few years in the military, had a few years of full time clinical experience, and had no research.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users