WAMC DO - 504, 3.51cGPA, 3.33sGPA, military veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diabolic-Acidosis

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just curious to hear some thoughts on my chances. A bit concerned that I didn't apply to enough schools...
  1. 3.33 undergrad sGPA, 3.51 undergrad cGPA, 3.44 overall sGPA, 3.56 overall cGPA
  2. 504 MCAT after a 492 retake, 125 C/P, 124 CARS, 125 B/B, 130 P/S
  3. Texas resident, also applied to all of the TMDSAS schools but unsure how competitive I am for those schools.
  4. Not URM
  5. I've been to a few different undergrads. I'm a bit non-traditional. Was in the military, did some community college, finished up at a private liberal arts school in Texas. Neuroscience major and chemistry minor.
  6. >6000 hours scribing, many of those hours with DOs specifically. Full-time work as an EMT for ~8 months. Volunteer as a medical assistant in a free, Spanish-speaking clinic.
  7. Some small neuroscience posters in undergrad, one poster presentation in my graduate program focusing on health equity and poverty, currently work as a research assistant/clinical research coordinator, full-time position and involved in one study but likely will not be publishing anytime soon and involved in a multi-site clinical trial assessing diet interventions and cancer outcomes.
  8. ~160 hours shadowing a primary care VA physician, ~40 hours shadowing a head/neck surgeon and a general surgeon in OR and ICU, well over 5000 hours working as a scribe - not quite shadowing but worked alongside ER physicians
  9. ~40 hours local food bank, low number but working on bumping that up. Couldn't do much volunteering in undergrad due to my military duties taking up a significant amount of time while also working full-time alongside school.
  10. Military veteran, served in the Army National Guard for 7 years, enlisted, deployed overseas once, couple stateside deployments, multiple training events, held a position as team leader while deployed and at home station, was also the CLS (combat life saver, military certification that essentially is an extension of the platoon medic) provider for my squad, outside the military I'm recently completed a post-bacc in biomedical sciences and health equity, have a couple hobbies including woodworking and leabthercrafting, passionate about fitness
  11. Graduated Cum Laude from my undergraduate school
  12. Primary focused on rural medicine, grew up in a rural town and would like to practice in a rural community, interested in being a generalist - thinking about family medicine or rural general surgery, a lot of my story/app centers around my military experiences and the lessons/insight I gleaned from my service.

Here is my school list for AACOMAS:

Burrell
    VCOM - LOU
    PCOM - SGA
    NYIT COM
    ATSU - AZ
    ATSU - MO
    Campbell
    PCOM - GA
    KYCOM
    OSU
    RVU COM
    LMU
    Nova
    AZCOM
    LECOME Bradenton

My post became longer than expected. Thanks for reading everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your service. Most schools will take your military service into account when considering community service. I'll let @wysdoc comment, but on the surface, you should get some attention within Texas, especially if you want to serve in rural Texas.

You have a shot at low tier MD schools as well with your military service.