This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opabiniafan

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your clinical experience feels light too. What is involved with the harm reduction clinic? It feels more nonclinical without a specific description. Your nonclinical is stronger as a result. But given your metrics, your dearth of clinical experience does not show a consistency of excellence that you need to show if you are trying to play the brand names. I seriously would have thought you would rack up 300 or more clinical volunteering or employment hours to equal your nonclinical volunteering.

Your CV screams "child of privilege". There is nothing wrong with this. You were born on third base and clearly ran at least most of the way home. However: to whom much is given, much is expected. As you are, you've (barely) checked the boxes. You might get into a state school, maybe a midtier as you are now. But you could be a solid candidate for top 20s, maybe with some merit aid if you're lucky, if you really boosted the clinical and nonclinical volunteering to like 500 hours each. Good luck.

EDITED: You're basically wasting a lot of your potential here. You've got a jaw-dropping MCAT, a solid GPA, and good ECs...except the volunteering weakness. Didn't mean to be harsh - but still. You've got the makings of a rock star here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your clinical experience feels light too. What is involved with the harm reduction clinic? It feels more nonclinical without a specific description. Your nonclinical is stronger as a result. But given your metrics, your dearth of clinical experience does not show a consistency of excellence that you need to show if you are trying to play the brand names. I seriously would have thought you would rack up 300 or more clinical volunteering or employment hours to equal your nonclinical volunteering.
Definitely fair. Harm reduction clinic was stuff like narcan trainings, helping with covid tests, asking patients questions for questionnaires, and basic front desk work. Could you elaborate on "consistency of excellence"? Do you just mean depth of commitment (shown by greater hours) or some sort of achievement in said clinical activities.

Your low clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews. There was another applicant on SDN this month with similar stats and ECs as yours who posted asking for advice as a reapplicant. Applicants with your stats usually apply to many top 30 schools. However, other applicants to those schools often have many hundreds or thousand of hours of clinical experience. Your 130 hours of clinical volunteering (not counting research hours) cannnot compete with those applicants.
I suggest these schools with your stats and ECs:
Your 2 Louisiana state public schools
Tulane
Washington University (in St. Louis-they like high MCAT applicants)
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Tufts
Cincinnati
U Michigan
Ohio State
Northwestern
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 users
You require a bit more clinical experience to have unlimited freedom in choosing schools tragically although I do recommend you should increase those hours if you can the next two months if possible!

Go with Faha’s school list, you may get interviews at T30 schools but I believe you will have a successful cycle given you describe your mission-fit well in your PS and secondary essays.

Your low clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews. There was another applicant on SDN this month with similar stats and ECs as yours who posted asking for advice as a reapplicant. Applicants with your stats usually apply to many top 30 schools. However, other applicants to those schools often have many hundreds or thousand of hours of clinical experience. Your 130 hours of clinical volunteering (not counting research hours) cannnot compete with those applicants.
I suggest these schools with your stats and ECs:
Your 2 Louisiana state public schools
Tulane
Washington University (in St. Louis-they like high MCAT applicants)
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Duke
U Virginia
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Tufts
Cincinnati
U Michigan
Ohio State
Northwestern
Kaiser
I thought Kaiser prefers those with life experiences ie gap years.

If you can accumulate another 100+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact in the next 2 months it would increase your chances for interviews.

Definitely fair. Harm reduction clinic was stuff like narcan trainings, helping with covid tests, asking patients questions for questionnaires, and basic front desk work. Could you elaborate on "consistency of excellence"? Do you just mean depth of commitment (shown by greater hours) or some sort of achievement in said clinical activities.
Harm reduction clinic as non clinical then.

Others have commented on consistency. I watch a lot of food competition shows like Iron Chef and Chopped. You have to be consistent on all your dishes or you will underperform/not win.

Your competition is full of candidates with very adequate experience, so lacking in one critical category -- even in holistic review -- can be the difference in being on the top level of the staircase and the middle or bottom for interview priority.

Get your clinical experience on the plate (when you submit your application)!

395 squat
Med schools should accept squat PRs as a measure of an applicant's strength and perseverance

I've got nothing extra to add, but congrats on that awesome MCAT and good luck with your application!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user