WAMC/School List advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jab3k

Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking for help in developing a school list.

GPA: cGPA – 3.689, sGPA – 3.892 graduateGPA – 3.764

MCAT 517 (128/132/128/129)

Residence: FL

Demo: White Male

Undergrad: Good Florida State School - Nursing Grad: Same Florida school - DNP/Psych

Clinical experience: 2 years phlebotomist, 3 years nurse, 5 years NP. Mostly full time work for the majority of the time

Research: DNP project with related publication, mentored other projects as faculty. Remote research in microbiology over 2 semester in independent study course

Shadowing: Outside of work, roughly 1000 hours, 500 with physicians

Non-clinical volunteering: Nothing since high school

Other EC: National committee member for American Psychiatric Nurses Association

Honors: Award for my service in mental health in a rural setting

Other info: 10 years out from many prereqs. Finishing orgo 1 now, will finish with an A. Will have orgo 2 and biochem done by end of year, well ahead of school deadlines.

Non-trad, will be turning 30 as MS1 if I get in this cycle.

Current attempts with school list: Started with MSAR and all schools +/- 5 of my MCAT scores, dropped all schools that have less than 50% OSS (minus instate schools). Dropped schools that had CASPER as requirement and schools that had hard stops on prereq age.

Looking to apply to 20-25 schools

Current list:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Case Western Reserve

Charles E. Schmidt

Creighton

Duke

Emory

FIU

FSU

George Washington

Georgetown

Harvard

Johns Hopkins

Kaiser

Loyola U

Mayo Clinic Alix

Northwestern

Nova

NYU Grossman

NYU Grossman Long Island

Stanford

Tufts

Tulane

U of Chicago

U of Pittsburgh

U of Rochester

U of Virginia

UCF

UF

USF

Virginia Tech

Washington U of St Louis

Carle Illinois COM

Eastern Virginia

Geisel at Dartmouth

Icahn School of Med

Perelman

Saint Louis

Sidney Kimmel

U of Arizona

Vanderbilt

Warren Alpert

Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Your app generally looks okay, but with the exception of the non-clinical volunteering. You'd need at least 150 hours in that realm for many schools, though I wonder if your prior healthcare experiences may offset this a bit.

Regardless, with your lack of non-clinical I'd toss Saint Louis, Loyola and Georgetown, all of which will expect several hundred hours in that realm. I would also maybe consider removing Arizona and Virginia Tech unless you have ties to either area (both not very favorable for OOS students from what I've gathered). I'd add on Miami (its private, but your stats are in range)

Reactions: 1 user
Your app generally looks okay, but with the exception of the non-clinical volunteering. You'd need at least 150 hours in that realm for many schools, though I wonder if your prior healthcare experiences may offset this a bit.

Regardless, with your lack of non-clinical I'd toss Saint Louis, Loyola and Georgetown, all of which will expect several hundred hours in that realm. I would also maybe consider removing Arizona and Virginia Tech unless you have ties to either area (both not very favorable for OOS students from what I've gathered). I'd add on Miami (its private, but your stats are in range)
Thank you for the thoughts!

I had Miami, but they had a hard prereq age of less than 10 years old. All but Ochem and Biochem are now over 10 years old for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I suspect you may have some community service outside your nursing roles. Do you participate in community health fairs or do activities where you leverage your training but on the broad community (meaning, not patients) post-DNP?

Having a DNP is unique but can also seem "threatening" to other physicians (which you likely are aware).

What geographic constraints should be honored? I am wondering about your clinical credentials and how portable they would be if you went out of Florida.

Have you connected with any admissions professionals at the schools closest to you or high on your wishlist? Are there other individuals similar to you that have made it through medical school who are your mentors or champions?

Remove Carle since they are looking for applicants with an engineering background. Virginia Tech and Arizona admit few applicants with no connection to the region. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

OP, I suspect you may have some community service outside your nursing roles. Do you participate in community health fairs or do activities where you leverage your training but on the broad community (meaning, not patients) post-DNP?

Having a DNP is unique but can also seem "threatening" to other physicians (which you likely are aware).

What geographic constraints should be honored? I am wondering about your clinical credentials and how portable they would be if you went out of Florida.

Have you connected with any admissions professionals at the schools closest to you or high on your Wishlist? Are there other individuals similar to you that have made it through medical school who are your mentors or champions?
I'll have to think on what might count as community service. I work in a federally designated rural health clinic and a clinic designed to provide PCP/mental health services to people who are hospitalized often or use the ED for non-ed services. Both are these are paid positions connected to my academic job. Also work in prison type setting on the side.

My national committee appointment primarily creates guidelines and policy statements related to neuromodulation.

Geographically, my wife and I are willing to move anywhere. My RN license is readily transferable to any state. My APRN is a little different between states but fairly portable, just depends on which state.

I've not connected with any admissions. I was pretty focused on the MCAT, which I took in March and am now shifting gears to getting the rest of my app ready. I don't know anyone personally who has gone the NP-MD route.

I'll have to think on what might count as community service. I work in a federally designated rural health clinic and a clinic designed to provide PCP/mental health services to people who are hospitalized often or use the ED for non-ed services. Both are these are paid positions connected to my academic job. Also work in prison type setting on the side.

My national committee appointment primarily creates guidelines and policy statements related to neuromodulation.

Geographically, my wife and I are willing to move anywhere. My RN license is readily transferable to any state. My APRN is a little different between states but fairly portable, just depends on which state.

I've not connected with any admissions. I was pretty focused on the MCAT, which I took in March and am now shifting gears to getting the rest of my app ready. I don't know anyone personally who has gone the NP-MD route.
It's not strictly volunteering, nor strictly non-clinical but I think both the rural healthcare and prison setting you work in would satisfy the service competency given the communities you are working with. I'd defer to the experts, but if you've accumulated the hours in those areas I think most schools might be okay with that.