1. OMS 2. Pod 3. Gen Dent??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So...Lebron James just tries really hard? Anyone can be that good if they just really put for the effort? Or do actual differences exist between the capabilities of people? With the mass of information that gets thrown at you during whatever medical graduate school program you choose, motivation may play a role, but someone who can conquer the information in less time with less effort will find themselves with better grades with the same motivation. This is just common sense.

I'm not saying by any means that advice is useless, just that when it really comes down to it, no, not everyone can do everything. I really don't understand where that lie keeps coming from, and why it's so widely believed. If you and I both put the entirety of our efforts into certain things, I'll be better at some, and you'll be better at some, but it's a fallacy to think we'll both come out dead even in everything. Motivation isn't the only factor.

Anyway, I suppose I'm just beating a dead horse at this point. If you'd be happy doing something other than OMS if the situation called for it, then it's a much better idea than if that was the only thing you wanted to do.

Obviously you don't think motivation is the only key ingredient to success either, or you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place. It would just be, "hey, I want OMS, ergo I can do it." End of story. But that's not the end. It has a lot of chapters. Once again, no. Not everyone is the same. You mentioned that significant handicap would change the game a bit, but when you're dealing with hundreds/thousands of students who have demonstrated their ability to succeed at the undergraduate level, having even normal intellectual ability is indeed a significant handicap when comparing yourself to the creme of the crop, the best of the best. Maybe that's you, maybe not, I don't know or care. The point is that motivation isn't the only factor, though it may be important.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do I think I am capable of becoming an OMS? Yes, of course. I have said this before, but I'll say it again - I truly believe anyone is capable of doing anything (with the exception of severe handicaps). It takes hard work, determination, and sacrifice. Albeit, some people will need more of these things than others, but it is possible for everyone.

Then why aren't you going to dental school since that is what you wanted above all else to be? Truly curious.

And yes, the 'what are my chances' can easily be consolidated to statistics. The advice is pretty much always the same. :rolleyes:

Then why aren't you going to dental school since that is what you wanted above all else to be? Truly curious.

I decided that I do not want to sacrifice all that it would require to have absolute certainty that I could achieve that end.

Members don't see this ad :)
So...Lebron James just tries really hard? Anyone can be that good if they just really put for the effort? Or do actual differences exist between the capabilities of people? With the mass of information that gets thrown at you during whatever medical graduate school program you choose, motivation may play a role, but someone who can conquer the information in less time with less effort will find themselves with better grades with the same motivation. This is just common sense.

I'm not saying by any means that advice is useless, just that when it really comes down to it, no, not everyone can do everything. I really don't understand where that lie keeps coming from, and why it's so widely believed. If you and I both put the entirety of our efforts into certain things, I'll be better at some, and you'll be better at some, but it's a fallacy to think we'll both come out dead even in everything. Motivation isn't the only factor.

Anyway, I suppose I'm just beating a dead horse at this point. If you'd be happy doing something other than OMS if the situation called for it, then it's a much better idea than if that was the only thing you wanted to do.

Obviously you don't think motivation is the only key ingredient to success either, or you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place. It would just be, "hey, I want OMS, ergo I can do it." End of story. But that's not the end. It has a lot of chapters. Once again, no. Not everyone is the same. You mentioned that significant handicap would change the game a bit, but when you're dealing with hundreds/thousands of students who have demonstrated their ability to succeed at the undergraduate level, having even normal intellectual ability is indeed a significant handicap when comparing yourself to the creme of the crop, the best of the best. Maybe that's you, maybe not, I don't know or care. The point is that motivation isn't the only factor, though it may be important.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I don't think I have made a statement suggesting that intellect is even across the playing field, so I agree with you that people who are smarter have it easier/do better. But have you ever had a professor (PhD) that really wasn't smart? You can scour the internet for days finding anecdotal evidence of extremely smart people doing menial jobs and really stupid people making vast amounts of money and being trusted with lives - which suggests that "being smart" isn't the whole equation.

Motivation, hard work, and sacrifice are the key elements here. If I have an IQ of 190, do I need much motivation, hard work, or sacrifice? No. If I have an IQ of 100, do I need any of those things? Of course! Getting through podiatry school/obtaining a residency isn't like walking on water.

So basically, I sort of assumed you were directing your comments at me about "motivation isn't the only factor," and if I was wrong, sorry for agreeing with you. But if I was right, then I'm glad we agree that motivation isn't the only factor, but that if you have massive amounts of motivation, the will to sacrifice, and hard work, you can do virtually anything.

Check out the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell or Anders Ericsson's 10,000 hour rule on expertise. Although Outliers suggests there are MANY factors that lead to unprecedented success in one's life, he never says it is "out of your hands" to be that success.

For a slightly opposing viewpoint, check out "The Winner's Brain." This book totally discounts your upbringing or other circumstances, but suggests you can make yourself successful by employing certain "strategies" as they call them.

Either way, success is in your hands.

...so I agree with you that people who are smarter have it easier/do better.

No they don't. Intellect only takes you so far. You'd be surprised how many intelligent people out there have it very difficult because they take their intelligence for granted.

Intelligent and motivated is an entirely different animal.

Seems like we're debating semantics at this point.

Can't say I disagree with the basis of any of what you two said, so I suppose my job is done (job being finding out what you two thought and integrating my own opinions into it to see where they contrasted/matched up).

I like you two...you're good people.

I decided that I do not want to sacrifice all that it would require to have absolute certainty that I could achieve that end.

makes sense. Glad you chose podiatry and hope that it is all that you want it to be.

This has been fun to read, a lot of good points on both ends

Kidsfeet - I pretty much agree with you, I just worded that sentence in a way that made it seem that all intellectuals have an "easy life" which was not what I was intending - my bad.

Bobdolerson - I feel like we fight too much on these forums. I appreciate your challenging remarks which usually require me to critically think. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Flyhi - Thanks, me too!

I regret that so often my remarks are taken as being antagonistic. I revel in debate and intellectual challenge, and only hope to get others to think outside their typical norms as much as I want to be challenged to do so by them.

I hope you don't think I see you or your views in a negative light; often my discussion points have no real goal or point other than expansion of the mind. I find when I play devil's advocate against myself or others, they/I often leave the conversation having reaffirmed their beliefs with a stronger foundation, or having the eyes opened to a view they/i didn't know was there.

My goal when discussing these abstract things is always an eventual growth of the self, and I apologize if I've dragged anyone down while trying to achieve these personal things.

not sure if this made any sense. Whenever me and my friend Jack Daniels get together, I have a tendency to lose my focus...and my point.

You too, friend. Happy Thanksgiving.
-Namaste