1. OMS 2. Pod 3. Gen Dent??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this questioned has been asked again and again, but hopefully this is a slightly different spin.

I don't know if I should pursue goals of going to dental school or podiatry school and here is why: The field I find most interesting is oral and maxillofacial surgery, but I would not like to be general dentist as much as I'd like to be a podiatrist. OMS surgical residencies are EXTREMELY tough to get and just looking at the numbers (ie top 10% of dent class, etc...) I would not get a residency and I would have to specialize in something else or be a general dentist. Should I just go after pod-school and become a podiatrist, or should I shoot for my #1 and probably end up landing as a GP Dent...??

A couple of people have suggested to keep my options open and make my decision at the last second, but taking the DAT and the MCAT would be a nightmare...

Thoughts?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this questioned has been asked again and again, but hopefully this is a slightly different spin.

I don't know if I should pursue goals of going to dental school or podiatry school and here is why: The field I find most interesting is oral and maxillofacial surgery, but I would not like to be general dentist as much as I'd like to be a podiatrist. OMS surgical residencies are EXTREMELY tough to get and just looking at the numbers (ie top 10% of dent class, etc...) I would not get a residency and I would have to specialize in something else or be a general dentist. Should I just go after pod-school and become a podiatrist, or should I shoot for my #1 and probably end up landing as a GP Dent...??

A couple of people have suggested to keep my options open and make my decision at the last second, but taking the DAT and the MCAT would be a nightmare...

Thoughts?? Thanks!

Follow your heart. If you know what it takes to get into the OMS residencies then go to dental school, work your butt off and do it.

Life is full of tough decisions. The worst thing is to live with regret. What would have been? Who knows? Follow your dreams and chances are you'll never have to deal with what would have been.

Follow your heart. If you know what it takes to get into the OMS residencies then go to dental school, work your butt off and do it.

Life is full of tough decisions. The worst thing is to live with regret. What would have been? Who knows? Follow your dreams and chances are you'll never have to deal with what would have been.

I agree: don't settle for anything. If you want it bad enough, then you can make it happen. Sounds very generic I know, but it is true.

If you're still not sure and reach a deadline, take a year off from school and job shadow both careers and consider it an investment in your future happiness and psychological quality of life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to recomend you to go try dentistry. I here that the podiatry school is very poor and you wont get a good education and that they do not care for the students as well as dentistry is more respected and you should go try for to get your #1 goal. Dont take the ez roads.

-Gimli, Son of Gloin

I go to recomend you to go try dentistry. I here that the podiatry school is very poor and you wont get a good education and that they do not care for the students as well as dentistry is more respected and you should go try for to get your #1 goal. Dont take the ez roads.

-Gimli, Son of Gloin

REALLY??? I would love to know who you are talking to..

I Agree that you should pursue your true passion. I have a few family in dentistry and they say that OMS and orthodontics are the 2 hardest specialty to get into. It requires 90+ boards and being top 5-10 % of your class. Is it possible? Sure. However, from a statistical point of view..more then 70% of ur class are gonna being a general dentist...are u ok with that?

From a statistical point of view..more then 70% of ur class are gonna being a general dentist...are u ok with that?

Gah! This is my problem. Everyone seems to think I should go the dentistry route, but I'm not sure if I'd be happy as a GP dent. I believe I would be happy as a podiatrist, and I'd be thrilled as an OMS. Thanks for the good advice, though!

If it surgery you are wanting to do and do not mind what part of the body it is on, I would say go with podiatry. Podiatry incorporates a lot of orthopedics and was the initial reason that I looked into it. Definitely shadow a podiatrist before you make any decisions...

Are you more interested in oral surgery or surgery in general? You should shadow a podiatrist and observe some of the surgeries that they do. Maybe you will think that is interesting as well.

What do you think would be worse, being a general dentist and knowing that you tried to be an oral surgeon or being a podiatrist and doing surgeries but knowing that you gave up on being an oral surgeon? Tough decision.

You asked for a simple answer. Podiatry or Dentistry. I'll give it to you simply...Podiatry.

-Gimli, Son of Gloin

:troll:

Wouldn't it be more proper to call him a "Cave Troll"?

-Gimli, Son of Gloin

I don't even know where to begin so I'll simply say stop attempting to give advice about things you obviously know nothing about. It's embarrassing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! I just tryin to give him advice that is simple I believe so dont call me embarrasing. Clearly it say in his post that hes first choice is being in dentist school. I qoute it for you:

"The field I find most interesting is oral and maxillofacial surgery"

YOu dont need knowledge of any of the dentist or podiatrist prof.

Go back to kidnergarten please because obviusly you do not, cant read.

With Love,

Gimli, Son of Gloin

I don't even know where to begin so I'll simply say stop attempting to give advice about things you obviously know nothing about. It's embarrassing.

This person is obviously not for Real Doc. Read a couple of their post's.

TO GIMLI : you're kidding me right???? dont ever say that again lol dont listen to any BS people say. do some research about Pod. and schools plzzzzzzzzz

Wow! I just tryin to give him advice that is simple I believe so dont call me embarrasing. Clearly it say in his post that hes first choice is being in dentist school. I qoute it for you:

"The field I find most interesting is oral and maxillofacial surgery"

YOu dont need knowledge of any of the dentist or podiatrist prof.

Go back to kidnergarten please because obviusly you do not, cant read.

With Love,

Gimli, Son of Gloin

No, I'm a practicing physician and surgeon so I'm pretty sure I can read AND WRITE! :D

I'm sure there are a lot of dentists that are happy but I have a cousin that is not too thrilled with the profession, I think he liked the idea of dentistry more than the day to day work. The last thing you want to do is get into dental or podiatry school and then figure out you don't like it. As has been said, go shadow both for as many hours it takes to know whether you want to do one or the other, or neither. I have never met in person a podiatrist that hated his job but I can't say the same for dentists. An oral surgeon I shadowed a long time ago in my college days was crossing the days off he had left before retiring. No joke, he literally Xed out each day on a calender. He was just a wisdom tooth guy though, no reconstruction stuff. I think maxiofacial is pretty awesome, but yeah unless you know you have a good shot at being the top dog in dental school I personally would shy away if you don't want to be a general dentist. So yeah, if you can go shadow a podiatrist and see if you can get into the OR with him to see a few cases. Do the same for dentistry if you have not done so. Podiatrists treat bone, tendon, nerve, skin, soft tissue (etc.) pathologies of the foot and ankle. A general dentist won't see as much diversity on a day to day basis in my opinion. Good luck!

Just be real with yourself... if you truly think that you are capable and that you have the work ethic to land an oms residency then do it... if you truly believe that it is very unlikely that you will land the oms do podiatry. If you choose podiatry you make regret it some day or you may find that you love it. Either way you may face regret b/c of the chance of becoming a general dentist (not there is anything at all wrong with that in my opinion). You know your abilities better than anyone else so base your decision on that.

there are options between OMFS and gen dentist. as you mentioned orthodontics. there is also periodontics (gum surgery) and I'm sure there are others. Look into the dentistry field a bit more and see what it has to offer before you make your decision.

I think the "if you want it bad enough you can have it mentality" is almost as bad as basing all of someone's ability on his intelligence. Gotta face facts. If you go into med school for derm or rads, there's a very good shot you're not going to end up there. If you go to dental school for OMFS, you're looking down pretty much the same tunnel.

The advice above is good. Explore some of the other surgical fields dentistry has to offer that may match your interests. Maybe some are less competitive and would be something you'd be happy falling back on. I would never advise someone to go to a professional school with interest only in a single ultracompetitive field. As it stands, if I were in your shoes, I would choose pod.

Endodontics is another...if you don't mind doing complicated root canals... they make great money...please nobody respond to this by saying do not go into the field for the money... thats a given... im just pointing it out

:troll:

Wouldn't it be more proper to call him a "Cave Troll"?

No. He's a dwarf, duh.

Gimli_son_of_Gloin.jpg

Endodontics is another...if you don't mind doing complicated root canals... they make great money...please nobody respond to this by saying do not go into the field for the money... thats a given... im just pointing it out

I actually participated in SMDEP this past summer at Columbia and I was exposed to all the specialties. I think that's what made me sort of question my likes of dentistry, and found myself really only attracted to OMS. I've shadowed a pod and I like the variety of work they do and the surgical aspect along with the option of being your own boss and having regular hours. So OMS and Pod are basically the same career except one is mouth/face and one is foot/ankle (I realize pods do other things: biomechanics, orthotics, derm, etc).

Thanks everyone for the great responses and the variety of opinions. It's a tough choice and it really comes down to me taking genetics (along with physics and orgo with labs) for the mcat next semester or not. I probably don't need genetics for DAT.

If you are just interested in the money, maybe you should blah blah blah. LOL, if it weren't for the money we would all be selling Girl scout cookies.

It's a tough choice and it really comes down to me taking genetics (along with physics and orgo with labs) for the mcat next semester or not. I probably don't need genetics for DAT.[/QUOTE]

You may have already taken anatomy and biochem but those are much more helpful for the DAT and/or MCAT in comparison to genetics. Biochem is also a requirement at many dental schools but not at pod schools.

I think anatomy would probably be one of the least helpful additional classes to take for the MCAT. There really is no direct anatomy on there. Biochem would have been moderately helpful maybe. That said, you definitely don't need to know anything beyond what's in your general classes + the prep books.

I think anatomy would probably be one of the least helpful additional classes to take for the MCAT. There really is no direct anatomy on there. Biochem would have been moderately helpful maybe. That said, you definitely don't need to know anything beyond what's in your general classes + the prep books.

Agreed. Anatomy will not likely help you on the MCAT.

Anatomy will help you greatly your first year though. I really wish I would have taken anatomy. It would make my life so much easier now.

lol i thought anatomy helped... in the mcat review books almost half of the bio chapters are on systems of the body... chps 4-12 in kaplan bio books i thought having the background helped with some of the questions

lol i thought anatomy helped... in the mcat review books almost half of the bio chapters are on systems of the body... chps 4-12 in kaplan bio books i thought having the background helped with some of the questions

I honestly do not remember what was on the MCAT, nor am I allowed to say what was on it. Maybe there was Anatomy, but i never took it in undergrad and I did fine on the Bio section.

You are right though... I'm sure Anatomy couldn't hurt for the MCAT. Although I would recommend microbiology and genetics courses for the MCAT as supplemental classes over anatomy.

The MCAT generally has a handful of stand alone physiology questions, but that's it, no anatomy. Taking anatomy may give you enough background to answer them but it wouldn't be as beneficial as an upper division phys class.

Even those phys/"system" questions were minimal...not nearly as important as gen chem, o-chem, physics, cell/micro/animal/etc bio

Thoughts?? Thanks!

Last edited:
If 90% of what you do as a general dentist are prophys and exams, you are:

1. The worst general dentist ever.
2. Probably actually a hygienist.

In private practice, most GP's spend max 15% of their time doing exams, because exams generate treatment for you to be doing the other 85% of the time. GP's in private practice rarely do any sort of cleaning.

Did you ever figure out your dilemma and commit to a path?

I'm similar to you in that I thought I wanted to do orthopedic surgery but realized it's extremely competitive and has is drawbacks. I'm thinking I would much rather start my specialty right away and be ensured a spot in the profession (given I get a residency at all ... at least I know it will be a surgical specialty). Podiatrists do the orthopedic surgery of the lower extremity yet can also see some dermatology (another extremely competitive thing to specialize in) ... so it really is the best of multiple worlds as it combines 2 of the most sought-after residencies into one specialty and focused on a specific area. However, I like skin and bone and you like mouths so our situations/interests are somewhat different yet similar in that we both found podiatry to be very appealing after investigating it fully. I just never really thought about it until it was recommended to me. I hope you ended up shadowing a few podiatrists b/c I saw a toe replacement and knew it was right for me ... not to mention there are very few negative comments I ever hear from the practicing podiatrists I have shadowed concerning their profession.

I hope you figured it all out and are satisfied! Good luck.

Did you ever figure out your dilemma and commit to a path?

I'm similar to you in that I thought I wanted to do orthopedic surgery but realized it's extremely competitive and has is drawbacks. I'm thinking I would much rather start my specialty right away and be ensured a spot in the profession (given I get a residency at all ... at least I know it will be a surgical specialty). Podiatrists do the orthopedic surgery of the lower extremity yet can also see some dermatology (another extremely competitive thing to specialize in) ... so it really is the best of multiple worlds as it combines 2 of the most sought-after residencies into one specialty and focused on a specific area. However, I like skin and bone and you like mouths so our situations/interests are somewhat different yet similar in that we both found podiatry to be very appealing after investigating it fully. I just never really thought about it until it was recommended to me. I hope you ended up shadowing a few podiatrists b/c I saw a toe replacement and knew it was right for me ... not to mention there are very few negative comments I ever hear from the practicing podiatrists I have shadowed concerning their profession.

I hope you figured it all out and are satisfied! Good luck.

I'm still undecided but I'm leaning toward podiatry right now. The pod surgeries I have been able to watch were pretty minor: toe amputation and ingrown nail removal, but it was still pretty cool to watch. I have definitely shadowed some podiatrists and most of the dental specialties (and GDs). I really want to start studying for the MCAT/DAT this summer (between soph and jnr) while I'm doing organic research, so hopefully in a month or so I'll have fully decided...

Organic II rocked me pretty hard, so if nothing else, I can let my GPA decide where I'm going... jk jk. ;)

Even though it is not posted on their website, I know for a fact that a couple of podiatry schools are still accepting the DAT for admissions. I think you should take the MCAT and try for your #1 goal and then you can still have the option of podiatry later.

I totally meant to say DAT. My mind does not always equal what I say. Sorry.

Did this really need to be bumped?

I don't really understand everyone saying "if you want to you can do it!"

This just isn't always true, and the cliche is overused.

Some people can hack it, some can't. Would you enjoy being a dentist in the instance that you don't get a OMS slot? How well are you motivated, and what's your level of intellect?

Maybe you can do it, maybe you can't, but nobody can decide this except you, so quit asking. The advice has been given. Make your own choice, because whatever the outcome, it's your life.

Some people can hack it, some can't. Would you enjoy being a dentist in the instance that you don't get a OMS slot? How well are you motivated, and what's your level of intellect?

Maybe you can do it, maybe you can't, but nobody can decide this except you, so quit asking. The advice has been given. Make your own choice, because whatever the outcome, it's your life.

:thumbup:

I didn't bump this? I only asked this one time over a year ago?

But, podiatry.

Sorry, but it IS true. If YOU want it, go out and get it. It is equally up to YOU to realize your own potential and decide whether YOU can hack it or not. I've seen regular people do remarkable things with what they've been given.

Also, some people need a little push once in awhile. Have you never asked for advice about something? There is always that lingering doubt behind every decision and sometimes you need the reassurance of others to push you in one direction or the other no matter how motivated you are. That's why it's important to have mentors to lean on.

You are correct, though. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw. However, I've learned that the harder you work, the luckier you seem to get. And it may not come right away. My luck took 10 years of hard work, and meeting the right mentor to propel my career to new heights. Over night successes are rarely overnight.

I'm not saying that all circumstances are a matter of luck, or that someone has minimal control over what happens to them.

What I'm saying is that telling someone without having any idea as to their mental abilities or intellectual tenacity, "hey, if you dream it, you can do it" is just not true.

Go talk to some college basketball or football players that try their hardest every single day, do whatever they can to be the best, but still aren't. There's a matter of genetics that will rear it's head at some point during the drive to excellence. Willing something doesn't always bring it about.

Can he be an OMS? Maybe. But the long and short of it is with thousands of students working as hard as he will, eventually motivation won't be the most important factor, and the ability to set yourself apart with more than just hard work will be important. I'm not saying that he can't do it, only that the desire to do it isn't the only factor, and to tell someone that they can do whatever they want if they just try hard enough is a fallacy.

I suppose we could get into the entire philosophy of luck, and whether or not you were genetically inclined to work harder, yadda yadda, but that's not the point. My point is only that wanting something even to the exclusion of all else doesn't guarantee success, though obviously it makes you more inclined to drive yourself more than less motivated people. The cold fact is there are a lot of people that will work as hard as he will, and whatever he decides to do, an OMS slot isn't a guarantee, and he should be willing to face other options when they come, or not go down that road at all. Last thing I'm sure he would want is not getting the position and being stuck in a field where that was the only thing he wanted.

Yeah. I agree with Kidsfeet.

I think advice is a wise thing to ask for when considering any matter. It is possible that someone has a view that I had not considered. If we took the mantra that advice is useless, this pre-pod forum would be dead. "What are my chances" threads could be consolidated by looking at school avg stats, people could figure out what school was the best for them by actually researching them, and all the questions can be answer by methodical research.

But, we tolerate questions because we believe in the importance of advice and sharing the wisdom and knowledge from one member to another.

Do I think I am capable of becoming an OMS? Yes, of course. I have said this before, but I'll say it again - I truly believe anyone is capable of doing anything (with the exception of severe handicaps). It takes hard work, determination, and sacrifice. Albeit, some people will need more of these things than others, but it is possible for everyone.