09-10 MSTP Question Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wrote a little less than a page about why I wanted an MD/PhD, how I would specifically balance my physician and scientist roles, and the physician-scientist whose career I want to model.

Thanks Newapple, that sounds very reasonable - think Ill go with that format too.

Members don't see this ad.

is anyone here complete at UCSD? my application status page does not show it. my secondary was submitted at the end of july and letters to AMCAS in mid-August. just wondering if i should contact them about this.

I believe you have to let them know when your letters have been uploaded by AMCAS. I got an email saying as much, so I sent them an email saying my letters were up. I promptly got a response saying my file was now complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you have to let them know when your letters have been uploaded by AMCAS. I got an email saying as much, so I sent them an email saying my letters were up. I promptly got a response saying my file was now complete.

thanks for the info. i should have asked sooner! i just thought ucsd was being slow.

So the prompt for the UCSD essay is:
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, early adult years, and future career goals in medicine. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.
Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 7500 characters.

So I finished my essay but Im having second thoughts...Since Im applying MSTP my response was very much geared towards "motivations/career goals in clinical research" which may be different from what they are asking by "motivations/career goals in medicine." Do you think my response in talking about clinical research is appropriate or are they looking for a response that is just about being a practicing physician. I ask because this is the same prompt they send to the MD onlys.

This has sorta been an underlying issue for me throughout my secondaries. I cant seperate my desire to be a researcher from my desire to be a doc and I dont like the way some schools split up MD/PhD as if 1+1=2...

Would appreciate some feedback as to how people out there are dealing with this issue.

I totally agree with you. The I am doing mstp is obviously since we feel the need to combine medicine and research. I didn't write this exact secondary, but I've had similar ones. I would go ahead and say what you just said - that you need them together, to be integrated. for you, it leads to one future, not two futures at the same time.

but since they do specifically ask for what brought you to medicine - I wouldn't neglect that. throw in something to that nature, it doesn't have to be big. there are people who can do clinical research and just focus on the research side, but have absolutely no desire to actually work with patients ever. I don't think you want to show that this is you.

perhaps (if true), you could say that it was the research that brought you to medicine. that would sure count.

So, I just received an email from the director of a top-20 mstp program (i dont want to say which school it is here, but PM me if you really want to know) saying that the mstp committee said i had good academic accomplishments and showed promise as a scientist but they hadn't received my 2ndary yet, so the director was saying i should finish it asap. anyone get one of these before/should i be optimistic abt my chances here? needless to say, i intend on finishing this secondary ASAP lol.

Sorry to say- read further up the thread. I bet I know which school. Tricky tactic that school has. But I would venture to say they sent it to people they're interested in though. Probably a good thing, but nothing guaranteed. And I think it's a template. That said- prolly still good news.

Sorry to say- read further up the thread. I bet I know which school. Tricky tactic that school has. But I would venture to say they sent it to people they're interested in though. Probably a good thing, but nothing guaranteed. And I think it's a template. That said- prolly still good news.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :(

oh well, as you said, there's probably something good in it, though definitely not as much as I was hoping for

Yes; my status page says NW has received my letters.

Did anyone apply to UTSW? Did they send a complete email or do you have to just call and verify that they'd received your letters? (I sent mine via snail mail)

UTSW sent me an email when my file was under review. However, my file WASN'T complete at the time of review (neither of my research mentors had sent in their recommendations to AMCAS yet), and i got an interview invite the same day i got the email saying my file was under review... :shrug:

How many interviews do you guys feel is a sorta safe number...?

I realize its never for sure, but just curious how many you guys are thinking of.

.....i only have 2......PLUS my mcat is sooooooo low i dont think im gonna get anymore (lucky i got 2 even, let alone 1)

Last edited:
So, I just received an email from the director of a top-20 mstp program (i dont want to say which school it is here, but PM me if you really want to know) saying that the mstp committee said i had good academic accomplishments and showed promise as a scientist but they hadn't received my 2ndary yet, so the director was saying i should finish it asap. anyone get one of these before/should i be optimistic abt my chances here? needless to say, i intend on finishing this secondary ASAP lol.

I think I know what school that was as well; I received a similar email. I believe that it is a template, but it's not automatically generated: I emailed the dean back to apologize for the delay and he responded within 6 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as your interview skills are good, you probably have about a 1 in 4 chance of getting in somewhere once you have an interview there. I remember that statistic from somewhere, but I don't quite remember where I read it... I'm pretty sure I'm not just pulling that out of thin air. :p

How many interviews do you guys feel is a sorta safe number...?

I realize its never for sure, but just curious how many you guys are thinking of.

.....i only have 2......PLUS my mcat is sooooooo low i dont think im gonna get anymore (lucky i got 2 even, let alone 1)

deleted (problem solved).

Last edited:
are they just an advisor, or is it someone that you have done research with? if it is the latter, I would suggest you figure out a way to keep the letter (I can assume many schools would be adamant about having them). That said, call them. The day that they get back in to town, go visit them in their office, and give them a date. If they've written it, ask them to print it, and bring an addressed envelope that they can seal in front of you, and you bring it to the career center. I'd had slow rec letters before, but don't let a lack of letter be the downside of your application.

So this is not at all a question, just a rather amusing story I thought I would share.

About a month ago Wash U emailed me and asked for a LOR from my current PI. I have only been working with said PI since June and since I work with a postdoc the only time I ever talked to my PI for more than about 10 seconds was when I interviewed for the job. Since I hadn't been working there long and I don't know him well I was really hesitant to ask for a LOR. Anyway, I sat on that email until today, when I gathered up my courage and managed to ask.

His response? "Oh, that? I already wrote it. They sent me an email yesterday and asked me for a letter for you so I wrote one and sent it just this morning."

lol

So...bad side, they got tired of waiting for me to work up the courage to ask for an LOR and went ahead and asked for one directly. So now they know exactly how much of a procrastinator I am and they probably think that I'm not that interested since I never sent it to them.

Bright side, they must be at least somewhat interested in me if they took the trouble to write to me and ask, then write my PI and ask when writing to me didn't produce a letter.

Don't worry - for all they know, you had been bugging your PI for weeks to write the letter, and he never got around to it (until they emailed).

Good luck!

Don't worry - for all they know, you had been bugging your PI for weeks to write the letter, and he never got around to it (until they emailed).

Good luck!

hmm...well I wouldn't want them to think that either...then it looks like he doesn't like me!

Anyway, like pretty much the rest of this process, I'm just not going to think about it or analyze because the more I think about it the more neurotic I feel. You know, people (including me) are pretty hard on premeds for being gunners and neurotic and stuff like that - but really, once I started filling out secondaries and being stressed about applying early but with the best possible essays I figured I should stop being so hard on neurotic premeds because, honestly, the process is enough to make anyone nuts!! Fortunately, I've gotten to the point where I'm a lot calmer, I just check my email, respond as needed, and that's it. Needless to say, I'm a lot saner now.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why they give applicants different date options to interview? I understand why some schools just give one date and ask if that works for you - but if they give you 2 - 5 options ..but not the others... it just seems odd to me. I called to schedule an interview today, and the assistant said they give some people different/more days to choose from than others. thankfully i had quite a few options. thoughts?

I called to schedule an interview today, and the assistant said they give some people different/more days to choose from than others. thankfully i had quite a few options. thoughts?

Dates fill up, so the earlier you apply the more options you'll have. Later dates tend to be reserved for later applicants unless an early applicant can't make the earlier dates. Some schools try to match interview date to the interests of the applicant or try not to interview students in a given field during a big conference in that field.

Hey everyone, I have a question about choosing interviewers (or at least making a possible list).

I just received an interview from a school that asked to list some faculty you'd like to meet during the interview. One of the faculty members listed on the research mentors page is a nobel laureate. I really would like to meet him, not so much because we are in the same field of research (although I find what he does fascinating) but because he has been very inspiring to me. In fact, I wrote about this inspiration in a secondary essay to this school.

So my question is... is it fair game to request an interview with such a big shot? Are the admissions people going to laugh my interview acceptance form all the way to the trash or is this something legit that other people have done?

I know I'm a little fish and don't want to go offending those big fish out there. Also, I realize simply putting this name down on a list does not guarantee an interview. I'm more concerned about appearing improper.

Thanks for the advice.

So my question is... is it fair game to request an interview with such a big shot? Are the admissions people going to laugh my interview acceptance form all the way to the trash or is this something legit that other people have done?

It's legit. If the school views that person as a recruiting tool, the person doesn't mind being a recruiting tool, and/or that person is still trying to recruit grad students, you are likely to get them as an interviewer. If not, shrug, whatever.

Three weeks ago, I was invited to interview with a non-MSTP MD-PhD program. I had a scheduling conflict with the first date they suggested, and they sent me a list of alternatives. I sent them my choice, and ten days later (several days after calling to check on the status of my interview date), I received an email saying that the graduate program couldn't interview me on that date (even though it was on the original list, yes). I immediately sent back another choice (this time with back-up dates). It's been 10 more days, and as of this morning, I hadn't heard back yet. I called this morning to ask about the date(s) I requested, because I need to schedule other interviews. Their response? The graduate program hasn't confirmed the dates yet. Seriously, is this typical? Should I be concerned about this apparent lack-of-integration between the MD and PhD offices at this school?

Last edited:
Seriously, is this typical? Should I be concerned about this apparent lack-of-integration between the MD and PhD offices at this school?

Unfortunately, it is kind of typical. Graduate departments kind of do what they want, and don't necessarily bow to the wills or e-mails of the med school or MD/PhD program. I wouldn't consider it much of a warning sign in isolation.

Unfortunately, it is kind of typical. Graduate departments kind of do what they want, and don't necessarily bow to the wills or e-mails of the med school or MD/PhD program. I wouldn't consider it much of a warning sign in isolation.

Thanks, Neuronix. I appreciate your input. To her credit, the person in the MD-PhD admissions office called the graduate school after our conversation today and was able to confirm my date within a couple of hours. I feel a lot better about the whole deal, although it still doesn't seem like it should have taken so long to nail down an interview date!

i may be paranoid here, but on my ucla status page, it says "your online forms are due 12/01/09" although both my MSTP supplementary and LORs are marked as having been received. i also never received a complete email from them. is anyone familiar with this?

Hey Newapple,
Mine says the same things for UCLA. I think that just means, "Deadline is 12/01/09". You're right, it's a bit confusing, but I think that's just the general deadline. I didn't receive a complete confirmation email either. It might be worth giving a call. Let us know the outcome if you do.

Hey,

I applied to a mx of MD-only and MSTPs. My question is, do the MD onlys know if I applied MSTP, as in, do they get the MD-PhD specific AMCAS essays as part of my AMCAS application?

Thanks,

Akademix Esq.

Hey,

I applied to a mx of MD-only and MSTPs. My question is, do the MD onlys know if I applied MSTP, as in, do they get the MD-PhD specific AMCAS essays as part of my AMCAS application?

No. Any program for which you designated MD-only will only receive your personal statement and not the other two essays.

may we start a thread on what kind of reimbursement programs give for travel/stay (if there isn't one already)? we could actually do it in this thread

No. Any program for which you designated MD-only will only receive your personal statement and not the other two essays.

YAY Forum search! I had exactly this question! It is no where on AMCAS. Thanks for posting this. How do you know btw?

So this is not at all a question, just a rather amusing story I thought I would share.

About a month ago Wash U emailed me and asked for a LOR from my current PI. I have only been working with said PI since June and since I work with a postdoc the only time I ever talked to my PI for more than about 10 seconds was when I interviewed for the job. Since I hadn't been working there long and I don't know him well I was really hesitant to ask for a LOR. Anyway, I sat on that email until today, when I gathered up my courage and managed to ask.

His response? "Oh, that? I already wrote it. They sent me an email yesterday and asked me for a letter for you so I wrote one and sent it just this morning."

lol

So...bad side, they got tired of waiting for me to work up the courage to ask for an LOR and went ahead and asked for one directly. So now they know exactly how much of a procrastinator I am and they probably think that I'm not that interested since I never sent it to them.

Bright side, they must be at least somewhat interested in me if they took the trouble to write to me and ask, then write my PI and ask when writing to me didn't produce a letter.

Just as a rather amusing followup...Wash U did in fact invite me for an interview a couple of weeks after they got this letter. lol!!

For anyone who's been on the BU interview, did you wear a suit the first night? Its an introduction and dinner, and it says the dinner part is business casual, but I don't think that there would be any time to change in between the presentation and dinner. I just don't want to be that guy in a dress when everyone else is in a suit.

I just don't want to be that guy in a dress when everyone else is in a suit.

Well, that would certainly make an impression...

Seriously though, when I interviewed with them 2 years ago, suits were absolute overkill for day 1. I just wore a pair of black pants and a nice shirt.

For anyone who's been on the BU interview, did you wear a suit the first night? Its an introduction and dinner, and it says the dinner part is business casual, but I don't think that there would be any time to change in between the presentation and dinner. I just don't want to be that guy in a dress when everyone else is in a suit.

I didn't wear the suit at all for the first night. Well, I wore my black dress slacks and a conservative but more-comfortable-than-a-dress-shirt blouse with a cardigan over it. The first night is pretty casual. Some of the guys and girls wore their suits, but it seems like it was perfectly fine to get away with just dress pants and a nice shirt, no jacket required. The dinner and tour is just with current students. They're really chill, and most of them were wearing jeans and a hoodie, and the one guy wearing pants and a dress shirt had just come from clinic duty. Hope that helps.

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but if you're rejected from the MD/PhD program, will you be put "back into the pile" and considered for the MD program at the same school? Or do you have to apply to both separately?

it's different for each school - some schools have concurrent md/mstp reviews, some automatically place you in the MD-pool post-MSTP rejection, some require you to personally request MD consideration. you'll need to figure out the process at each school you're interested in.

quick question about sinai's mstp. is it still worth submitting a secondary this late? i COMPLETELY forgot to submit it and am really kicking myself...

What are my chances for MD/PhD:
  • 31P (10 PS, 9 VR, 12 BS). 3.98 GPA (4.0 in both majors).
  • 3 yrs. research, 2 yrs./400+ hrs. volunteering/shadowing.
  • national pre-research scholarship; honors, etc.
  • part-time sports team, 3 yrs. paper columnist/editor.
  • no-name college, not a minority.
Basically, great everything except for MCATs, and I'm not taking it again.

I think the best thing for me would be to apply MD/PhD mostly, and some lower-level non-reach MD-only, just in case.
1. Should I even bother to apply MD/PhD ANYWHERE?
2. Should I even bother apply to Harvard, UCSF (I'm from NY), etc.?
3. If no, should I even bother apply MD-only to Harvard, UCSF, etc.?

Really appreciate anyone's feedback. NOTE: Please note if you think there's any chance at all.

Note to anyone else interested in the future: I didn't get interviews at Harvard or UCSF, though so far 2 of MD/PhD interviews at top-40/50 schools. Thanks for everyone's help in this issue.