2023-2024 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS received

Members don't see this ad.

I received a secondary today and my app hasn't even been verified yet. How did they know I'm applying there?
They can pull your info through AMCAS I think

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there. Would it be possible to share the secondary prompts or are they the same as last year?

2023-2024 Tufts Secondary Essay Prompts: (1000 character limit each)

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

2. Please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. Include in this explanation if you will be a student, working, conducting research, volunteering, etc.

3. Please tell us about your journey to medical school and how your background and experiences will positively impact your future as a medical student and physician. If you have experienced personal circumstances or hardships that have helped you develop qualities that you believe will allow you to better serve your future patients and the medical community as a whole, please share those experiences in your response.

4. Tufts values include a commitment to social responsibility; to serve and advocate for all people, especially underserved and vulnerable patients and populations, by addressing social determinants of health, health equity, social justice, and stewardship of social resources. Have you done substantial work or volunteer service in such communities?

5. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s)?

6. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

7. Because your academics will not be shared with interviewers until after you complete your interview, we encourage you to use this space to elaborate on any academic challenges you have overcome. We understand that many applicants encounter academic hardships along the way. Please comment on any academic difficulties that you have encountered since completing high school (grades and MCAT scores). We believe that such difficulties offer an opportunity for growth and would appreciate learning how your experiences have affected your approach to academics. If you have not encountered any difficulties, you may answer 'No.'

8. Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)? For more information please
visit our web site.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Tufts University School of Medicine Interview Feedback
Hello there. Would it be possible to share the secondary prompts or are they the same as last year?
Prompts have been posted above.

Members don't see this ad :)
How detailed is everyone explaining their COMPETENCIES in English, Math, Biology, and Laboratory?
I just listed the classes I took. For English I said that I went to a primarily English-speaking university, and for the lab one I said that I worked in a research lab

Reactions: 1 user
Do we think #3 is diversity? Or what else are they looking for? It replaced their diversity prompt from last year.

For question #4, is it only looking for clinical volunteering with underserved populations? Or would non-clinical volunteering with underserved, marginalized communities also count?

For question #4, is it only looking for clinical volunteering with underserved populations? Or would non-clinical volunteering with underserved, marginalized communities also count?
Seems like you can talk about either.

I'm struggling with how to write a different enough response for questions 5 and 7. Any ideas?

I haven't received secondary yet, so I just wanted to ask if question 4 is optional? The wording makes it seem like it is, but I wasn't sure if it said anything about being optional in the portal. I don't have any significant experiences with the communities described in the prompt, so I don't know how to answer it if it's required.

I haven't received secondary yet, so I just wanted to ask if question 4 is optional? The wording makes it seem like it is, but I wasn't sure if it said anything about being optional in the portal. I don't have any significant experiences with the communities described in the prompt, so I don't know how to answer it if it's required.
Yes, number 4 is optional!

Yes it is optional!

What y'all doin for #1? Why us?
Leaning towards doing that. For that prompt I had originally written an essay describing my involvement with a certain patient population and tying that into why Tufts, but with the introduction of prompt #4, I slotted that pre-write in there instead.

Leaning towards doing that. For that prompt I had originally written an essay describing my involvement with a certain patient population and tying that into why Tufts, but with the introduction of prompt #4, I slotted that pre-write in there instead.
Yep, same. I'm not sure if I should touch on research for #1 (Tufts doesn't seem to be huge on research) or just double down on service/community work

Yep, same. I'm not sure if I should touch on research for #1 (Tufts doesn't seem to be huge on research) or just double down on service/community work
I think it could be worth it. While it’s not their strength, they do seem to have some meaningful focus on research.

for #4 - what are people considering to be " substantial" work or volunteer service?
I have some service work with the populations described but I'm not sure I would consider it substantial. worried about getting screened out if I answer no bc my impression is it's a service-driven school

for #4 - what are people considering to be " substantial" work or volunteer service?
I have some service work with the populations described but I'm not sure I would consider it substantial. worried about getting screened out if I answer no bc my impression is it's a service-driven school
I was also worrying about what counts as "substantial" but figured as long as I have meaningful patient interactions or lessons I learned that I would be safe talking about it

Also it's really hard answering any of these prompts in 1000 characters lol

Limiting prompt #3 to 1000 characters is kind of criminal lmao, I feel like I can't say anything substantial while answering all aspects of the prompt because of the character limit. The prompt itself is almost half of the character count they give us ahhhh

Reactions: 1 users
For the prerequisites, should we put online for any class that was taken online due to COVID-19 as well? Or are they only looking for online classes taken after we were back in person?

Are you guys answering question 1?

Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?
I think a brief why tufts would be a good idea

For the prerequisites, should we put online for any class that was taken online due to COVID-19 as well? Or are they only looking for online classes taken after we were back in person?
I wrote "Online due to COVID-19" for COVID prereqs in order to differentiate before vs. after covid

Is "Tufts" an ok abbreviation? or is it better to use TUSM or spell it out?

i missed indicating what courses i took online and already submitted my application. is this a red flag?

Should I be answering the option questions with a "Why Tufts"?

I'm thinking of putting a brief "Why Tufts" but I'm not sure if this is a place to mention my paper that just got published? Or would it be better to send the publication in an update letter and spend this space on a Why Us?

I'm thinking of putting a brief "Why Tufts" but I'm not sure if this is a place to mention my paper that just got published? Or would it be better to send the publication in an update letter and spend this space on a Why Us?
I’d send the pub in an update letter. Gives you more space for a why us and highlights the pub better as a stand-alone item.

Do you think applying to Tufts now would just be a donation? I was verified a long time ago, but didn't consider applying until now. I could get the secondary out within 1-2 weeks

Do you think applying to Tufts now would just be a donation? I was verified a long time ago, but didn't consider applying until now. I could get the secondary out within 1-2 weeks
they just sent their secondary out? why would it be a donation

Reactions: 3 users
For the coursework prerequisite and competency prerequisites for Biology, did you all just copy paste the same thing?

Did you guys answer #7? I just don't understand why they have a text box up if they don't want us to answer it?