2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
IS interview in 1 week.. haven't gotten an email about any student interview. is that yet to come?

Are there any mandatory info sessions or Q&A panels in addition to the faculty interview itself? I don't recall reading about it in my emails but just wanted to confirm

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any mandatory info sessions or Q&A panels in addition to the faculty interview itself? I don't recall reading about it in my emails but just wanted to confirm
there’s an info session but I don’t think it’s mandatory! you get an invitation to it near your interview date

Members don't see this ad :)
the dean of admissions told me we’d hear back in december! they plan on releasing decisions early this year
Oh wow that’s surprising because historically they release decisions beginning from Feb usually according to forums and also according to MSAR. Do you know around when in December if they mentioned and if this is only for the early interviewers? My upcoming interviewer is in mid December so that may be too late for first wave I presume.

Oh wow that’s surprising because historically they release decisions beginning from Feb usually according to forums and also according to MSAR. Do you know around when in December if they mentioned and if this is only for the early interviewers? My upcoming interviewer is in mid December so that may be too late for first wave I presume.
In a Q&A session a couple weeks ago the dean said they may send out decisions in late January this year. I never heard December but they do seem to be a little earlier.

Reactions: 1 users
In my Q&A session, I also heard they may send out decisions in Jan. They also mentioned that rejections dont go out until feb, so if you hear back before that, rest assured that it will be a good news 🙂

How are you guys able to sign up for these Q&A sessions? I haven't received any emails from them about it.

How are you guys able to sign up for these Q&A sessions? I haven't received any emails from them about it.
When I was signing up for it last month, they didnt have a scheduled date for December yet. Im sure they will send you an email when the future dates are confirmed!

When I was signing up for it last month, they didnt have a scheduled date for December yet. Im sure they will send you an email when the future dates are confirmed!
Oh got it thanks! Is this only for post interview? I haven't had my interview yet it is in December.

In a Q&A session a couple weeks ago the dean said they may send out decisions in late January this year. I never heard December but they do seem to be a little earlier.
During my Q&A, the dean was saying February but that was in September. Did the report of decisions coming out in December happen recently during a Q&A ?

Oh got it thanks! Is this only for post interview? I haven't had my interview yet it is in December.
Yeah! The info sessions are post-interview, so you’ll probably get an email to attend the next one in January

• Love
During my Q&A, the dean was saying February but that was in September. Did the report of decisions coming out in December happen recently during a Q&A ?
The Q&A where they mentioned possibly late January was two weeks ago. Not sure about December. Who knows when results will come out. :)

Reactions: 2 users
IS II LM 77 complete 9/13

people who interviewed, did you put thank you letters only on the portal or also send email?

how do we access the general chat info session after we interview? I did my interview this past week but didn't get a zoom link to any info session.

I had a great interview at Downstate this week. it was very conversational and I could tell that my interviewer had a genuine interest in my story. I have a lot of clinical and research experiences, and im also from NYC. We talked a lot about my story growing up there, the NYC community, my research and my most impactful experiences, also my struggles and how ive overcame them. We talked about the rigors of medical school and my readiness for it and the ways I handle stress. We even talked a little bit about my interviewer's work and the ways that Downstate students can get involved in the community. I thanked my interviewer for taking time out of his/her busy schedule to interview me and left it feeling heard. Overall, it is probably the best interview i've had this cycle. I am eagerly waiting for a decision.

On the other hand, the student has not reached out to me about an interview yet.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I had a great interview at Downstate this week. it was very conversational and I could tell that my interviewer had a genuine interest in my story. I have a lot of clinical and research experiences, and im also from NYC. We talked a lot about my story growing up there, the NYC community, my research and my most impactful experiences, also my struggles and how ive overcame them. We talked about the rigors of medical school and my readiness for it and the ways I handle stress. We even talked a little bit about my interviewer's work and the ways that Downstate students can get involved in the community. I thanked my interviewer for taking time out of his/her busy schedule to interview me and left it feeling heard. Overall, it is probably the best interview i've had this cycle. I am eagerly waiting for a decision.

On the other hand, the student has not reached out to me about an interview yet.
thats awesome congrats! I also feel like my interviewer and i connected well. hoping for a successful decision for us both. regarding the student interview mine reached out around 3 days after so I would give it maybe a bit more?

thats awesome congrats! I also feel like my interviewer and i connected well. hoping for a successful decision for us both. regarding the student interview mine reached out around 3 days after so I would give it maybe a bit more?
I still have not heard back. I called admissions today and they said that they will reach out to the students that will call me. They said if they have not gotten back to me by tomorrow, to contact them again.

I still have not heard back. I called admissions today and they said that they will reach out to the students that will call me. They said if they have not gotten back to me by tomorrow, to contact them again.

Not relevant, but your username 🫡

How long did it take you guys to hear back from the student after the faculty interview? Also ditto to the previous comments I personally loved my interview here and it was very chill and conversational. My interviewer said to make it to the interview stage itself means your app has the components they are seeking, they just want to get to know you better as well as any connections to NYC/Brooklyn. I was told decisions start from February. Best of luck to everyone applying!

How long did it take you guys to hear back from the student after the faculty interview? Also ditto to the previous comments I personally loved my interview here and it was very chill and conversational. My interviewer said to make it to the interview stage itself means your app has the components they are seeking, they just want to get to know you better as well as any connections to NYC/Brooklyn. I was told decisions start from February. Best of luck to everyone applying!
I heard back the same day but I was told by admissions to contact them if I haven’t heard back within 5 days of my interview

I heard back the same day but I was told by admissions to contact them if I haven’t heard back within 5 days of my interview
I heard back 7 days after my interview. I had to call admissions to inquire about my call. They said if you dont hear back within at least 1 week from the interview to call them.

On MSAR it says that we don't hear of waitlists until April so does that mean before then we can only be accepted or rejected?

According to previous threads they send out II until like Feb/March of next year so plenty of time to hear back. Are you IS?
Oh, nice! Yes, I’m IS. Do they send out a good amount of II around this time? Or are most of them already out.

Oh, nice! Yes, I’m IS. Do they send out a good amount of II around this time? Or are most of them already out.
Honestly not too sure about this, for December it may kinda slow down because of holidays but pick up again January. Also I am not sure if most invites are being given to NYC applicants right now or just general NY residents.

Random question but does anyone know the post II acceptance rate for downstate? Also wondering if anyone knows how common post II rejections are? Thanks!