2023-2024 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It says online that NYMC has a WL of ~250 people and they take ~50 people off every year. Does this 250 include the TOTAL number of WL positions offered throughout the cycle, including those who drop their WL position after being offered it? Or is it the number of positions that are filled at the time that the WL movement starts? Because if it’s the latter then there is roughly a 20% chance at getting off, if it’s the former it’s higher.

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew my A! Good luck to everybody and I hope someone benefits from the scholarship I received!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did NYMC increase their class size? New MSAR data shows that 2022-23 had 220 first year matriculated students. Didn’t it usually have ~214?

Has anyone received any new interviews or rejections?

Reactions: 1 user
Any current students willing to talk about their experiences as an M1/M2 in terms of mandatory lectures, exam frequency, internal rank, etc? thanks :)

Any current students willing to talk about their experiences as an M1/M2 in terms of mandatory lectures, exam frequency, internal rank, etc? thanks :)
M2 here! We were the first year that went through the new systems-based curriculum, so there have been a couple changes made for the current M1s but they're pretty minor from what I hear.

Our curriculum starts with anatomy, biochem, immuno/micro before getting into organ systems. Anatomy lab is mandatory 2X-4X 2 hours a week, and there are some mandatory small group session where you learn histology and physical exam skills as well. However, as far as lectures go, the vast majority are not mandatory. We might have two or so a month when there are guest speakers or a department chair.

The amount of mandatory activities have decreased from M1 to M2 year, and you can pretty much choose to do whatever you want with your time. There's usually a 2 hour mandatory session every week with clinicians and imo are a nice way to make sure I'm keeping up with the material and review it in a clinical lens. Some other small group activities still exist so I'd say ~15 hours every month are mandatory events in M2 year.

During anatomy season, exams (+ anatomy practicals) were every 2-3 weeks which felt intense, but after that exams have been every 3-6 weeks depending on how long we spend in that organ system. Clinical OSCEs are roughly every other month.

Yes there's an internal rank and there are ways of calculating where you are before the school discloses it. Although in theory there's no difference between letter grades and p/f with internal ranking, it psychologically helps me. I feel a lot less pressure because at the end of the day all I see on my official transcript is that big P.

Because of our larger class, it's a bit harder to "stand out," but faculty are really nice and willing to chat (especially if you're one of the few that still go to lecture in-person). Everyone kinda does their own thing depending on what specialty they're interested in. Although there are definitely students that are pursuing competitive specialties that have to try very hard, it doesn't feel like a gunner-y environment. We share resources with each other and most people are pretty chill from what I've seen. There's also a student senate who are awesome and are great at advocating to admin on behalf of our class.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything you want me to elaborate on.

Reactions: 7 users
Also just withdraw my A! Good luck y’all !

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who sent update letters, LOI, etc, did you address it to the NYMC office of admissions or to a specific person in the office?

For those of you who sent update letters, LOI, etc, did you address it to the NYMC office of admissions or to a specific person in the office?
I called the admissions office before sending my LOI and they told me to address it to the admissions committee and send to MDADMIT email

I called the admissions office before sending my LOI and they told me to address it to the admissions committee and send to MDADMIT email
Thanks! Did you address your LOI as "New York Medical College Admissions Committee"? And did you get a confirmation email from their office after submitting it?

Thanks! Did you address your LOI as "New York Medical College Admissions Committee"? And did you get a confirmation email from their office after submitting it?
I got confirmation on an update letter the morning after I submitted!

Yes, I began my LOI with the line “Dear New York Medical College Admissions Committee.”

And yes, I got confirmation the next day that it was added to my file.

i sent one like three weeks ago and never heard back 😔
I also got a confirmation email. I’d double check you sent it to the correct email. If you want to you can call them to confirm if it’s on your file

Are interviews done at this point?
Also wondering this-- it says interview season ends in March so I'd assume so-- but also why not just send out automated responses or something... the not knowing for sure hurts my chest v.v

Reactions: 2 users
fingers crossed… i interviewed 3/11 but it feels like it’s been months
I interviewed 3/14 and they said we should hear back TODAY. It also seems like they typically release decisions on Tuesday.

Was this the last round of decisions before WL movement starts? Or are there still people who haven’t heard back yet?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know how much waitlist movement they usually have? there seemed to be quite a bit in last years thread but i’m not sure

does anyone know how much waitlist movement they usually have? there seemed to be quite a bit in last years thread but i’m not sure
Says online that they typically pull ~50 off the WL every year, which is a very good amount.