2023-2024 Mt. Sinai (Icahn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a rant, 100 words is so little :( Is anyone finding that their writing sounds so stiff and awkward? But I guess adcoms don't want to be reading monstrosities of essays
1) Succinctness is a communications skill.
2) Try reading 1000 applications a week. You'll agree you wouldn't want to either. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone receive an II yet, or know when they might start coming out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else getting a bunch of emails from the graduate school of biomedical sciences 🙃

Reactions: 4 users
II ORM international LM 79 complete 07/12

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
+1 IS II, submitted first couple of days, LM 81

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone with II! Did your status change from ready to "under review"? Trying to figure out if all schools using that platform use it the same.

Congratulations to everyone with II! Did your status change from ready to "under review"? Trying to figure out if all schools using that platform use it the same.
honestly not sure. didn't really check / keep track along the way.

OOS II Today, URM, LM 81.8, Complete on 7/4

Reactions: 8 users
Hey hey hey your girlfriend won't be too happy about that and as your buddy it's my job to make sure you stay loyal!
Okay toastedbutterbiscuit you got me. I'll stay loyal as long as you don't tell her about my poor behavior on SDN

OOS II received, also as I was trying to come up with an LOI lol. Former flexmed applicant who was interviewed in 2021 and then rejected. Let's see how the second time around goes

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
OOS II received, also as I was trying to come up with an LOI lol. Former flexmed applicant who was interviewed in 2021 and then rejected. Let's see how the second time around goes
Lets goooo. You’re crushing it. When were you complete if you don’t mind me asking?

Time for me to start working on my LOIs lol

• Care
OOS II literally crying rn it’s been such a long wait with nothing, LM 77 complete 7/16 😭

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Is the portal crashing for anyone else? Keep getting an error message

Reactions: 2 users
flexmed had me down tremendous for this school

• Haha
Did anyone get interview confirmation email after choosing a date?

Do you recommend sending a LOI pre-II? Sinai is def my #1 choice and would go there without hesitation

Do you recommend sending a LOI pre-II? Sinai is def my #1 choice and would go there without hesitation
If you would truly go there without any hesitation and no matter what, I would wait until the first week of November or maybe even around Thanksgiving to send a very detailed letter of INTENT

If you would truly go there without any hesitation and no matter what, I would wait until the first week of November or maybe even around Thanksgiving to send a very detailed letter of INTENT
So was your LOI just to express interest? Were you also gonna wait until then to send it (assuming no II but moot point now), or were you planning on sending it soonish?

So was your LOI just to express interest? Were you also gonna wait until then to send it (assuming no II but moot point now), or were you planning on sending it soonish?
Yeah I was going to write a letter of interest. I was thinking about sending my around mid October if I hadn't heard by then.

Yeah I was going to write a letter of interest. I was thinking about sending my around mid October if I hadn't heard by then.
Ok cool. So I'll give it some time then 🙏 hopefully they don't go chronologically

How do schools distinguish between Letters of intent vs interest?
Letter of intent means you intend to go there, that is your top choice. Think of it like early decision. Technically no letter is binding, but if you are sending a letter of intent you are basically saying you would go there no matter what. My understanding is it looks very bad and it's not a good idea to send a letter of intent and then not go if you get into that school. Be very careful with this one and only send it to your absolute top choice! Also, this is a much more powerful letter to send. If you are perhaps stuck on the wait list somewhere you really want to go. One of the schools I interviewed at say they only pull people off the wait list if they have sent them a letter.

Letter of interest is exactly that. You're saying you're very interested, and the school is one of your top three to five. You can send this to multiple schools and it's not as much of a commitment as a letter of intent. I still wouldn't send this super haphazardly.

How do schools distinguish between Letters of intent vs interest?
These are terms created by applicants to describe the content of letters. I don't think admins are categorizing it in this way, and generally just read what you write and utilize your level of commitment to them to make a better decision.

These are terms created by applicants to describe the content of letters. I don't think admins are categorizing it in this way, and generally just read what you write and utilize your level of commitment to them to make a better decision.
This is false actually. Letter of intent versus letter of interest is something that schools do distinguish between. Especially if it is a school that explicitly says it is interested in communication from you.

This is false actually. Letter of intent versus letter of interest is something that schools do distinguish between. Especially if it is a school that explicitly says it is interested in communication from you.
I see, that's news to me that schools actually utilize this terminology. I'm not saying that schools don't distinguish between them, just that it's really the level of commitment you're expressing that matters. If you are 100% committed then go for it, but personally don't think you need to use the exact phrasing of "letter of intent".

I see, that's news to me that schools actually utilize this terminology. I'm not saying that schools don't distinguish between them, just that it's really the level of commitment you're expressing that matters. If you are 100% committed then go for it, but personally don't think you need to use the exact phrasing of "letter of intent".
In my opinion, the phrasing does matter. Also, the huge caveat here is that only certain schools value this kind of communication and you need to be careful. I know Mount Sinai, for example, values update letters, but I'm not sure if they necessarily value letters of intent or interest. Whereas, and I know this for a fact because I was told this in my interviews, a few other schools on my list explicitly say they enjoy and want to have communication from their students which include these types of letters. So you have to look into if the school you want to talk to even wants to hear from you and then decide what level of letter you want to send them.