2023-2024 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should the research question be much more factual (such as descriptions of our research question and what our results were), or should it be something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Should the research question be much more factual (such as descriptions of our research question and what our results were), or should it be something else?
I would just state it as it is. What was your experience like, your research question, your results, and what you though about those these results? Most important part is sharing with the committee what the research meant to you. So be reflective at the end but I stayed pretty factual while describing the experience

Reactions: 1 user
I spent 2500 characters discussing my independent project (with methods, findings, and my interpretation), the role I played, and then 1000 characters talking about what the experience meant to me

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone use the "additional info" section as a why essay, and apply to both Case and CCLCM? how did you do it - did you write separate essays for each program, or weave them together?
Weaved them together and talked about things common to both programs such as Cleveland, team based learning etc. They share a lot between them like clinical sites I think, so there's enough overlap to discuss

curious if anyone has any advice... I have two research experiences I am picking from for the college program's essay.

1. a semester long research project: I was not involved in a lab for this as this was a part of my minor's requirements. I obviously was much more involved in this project as I collected the data, ran a multi-variate analysis, and interpreted the data on my own

2. bench research: I participated in a summer program between my junior and senior year, and then was invited to return to the lab during my gap years. although I have been contributing a ton of data to the lab over the past year, the projects I am working on are well established as my PI has been studying them for years.

I am leaning towards my own research project from university because I conducted it from start to finish so it is a bit easier for me to write about, but I was not sure how that would look considering I have been working in a well-established wet lab for the past year.

ps: both the environmental department head and PI have written me rec letters
Which one is more important to you? Worse comes to worse you share the other one in the extra essay if it was also important. Also, which one had more significant findings? I'm leaning towards the one you did from start to finish bc it sound like you are passionate about that one

curious if anyone has any advice... I have two research experiences I am picking from for the college program's essay.

1. a semester long research project: I was not involved in a lab for this as this was a part of my minor's requirements. I obviously was much more involved in this project as I collected the data, ran a multi-variate analysis, and interpreted the data on my own

2. bench research: I participated in a summer program between my junior and senior year, and then was invited to return to the lab during my gap years. although I have been contributing a ton of data to the lab over the past year, the projects I am working on are well established as my PI has been studying them for years.

I am leaning towards my own research project from university because I conducted it from start to finish so it is a bit easier for me to write about, but I was not sure how that would look considering I have been working in a well-established wet lab for the past year.

ps: both the environmental department head and PI have written me rec letters
Sounds like #1 would be stronger based on what you wrote here tbh.

Can someone share the link to the secondary portal? I somehow lost the email

"The most successful medical students at our school are generally those who are intrinsically motivated, self-directed learners. Think of a time when you had to pursue a goal without clear external direction. Describe your approach and any new knowledge, perspectives, or skills that you acquired."

Is it okay if I write about teaching myself a sport or hobby? Or should this be more academic?
Echoing this. Any thoughts?

For the greatest challenge essay, would it be crazy to talk about how two of my friends in my friend group that I have been in for most of my life were beefing and I had to resolve it? I have more details to share and can make it sound better, of course, but I am just wondering if this would be a good place to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can this be personal growth that is genuinely personal, as in developing better communication skills and recognizing conflict earlier to deal with it head on? Or does this have to be related to anything academic? Feel as though the majority of my growth has been in terms of increasing maturity to handle conflict, tough conversations/situations, and navigating "drama".
Sounds like you're on the right track. Does not have to necessarily be academic!

Application submitted 7/25 but no further communication since. Is anyone in a similar situation?

Reactions: 3 users
Also got the R for CCLCM but didn't get an email, just an updated status in the portal

• Care
Also got the R but didn't get an email, just an updated status in the portal
Same. I didn’t get an email either, but the communication status in the portal said no interview

• Care
I thought they had the same portal?
That was I thought but someone said Cleveland so I wanted to make sure there wasn't a second portal for them that you get after being marked complete or something

Same. I didn’t get an email either, but the communication status in the portal said no interview
Is there an individual separate message that says no interview? All I have in the communication status section is the secondary application invitation.

Also everyone just wanna remind that there's a separate CCLCM thread on SDN too we should probably use

Reactions: 2 users
Is there an individual separate message that says no interview? All I have in the communication status section is the secondary application invitation.
It was an individual separate message from “secondary application invitation.” If you have it, it’ll be hard to miss. So you probably don’t have it

• Care
I'm seeing three things under the communication status page- secondary application invitation, and then 'complete' notice for both CCLCM and Case. Is this what everyone is referring to?

I'm seeing three things under the communication status page- secondary application invitation, and then 'complete' notice for both CCLCM and Case. Is this what everyone is referring to?
Huh I actually don't have a complete status for either even though I got complete emails

Huh, weird. maybe that means they preparing to send you that II 👀
Nah that wouldn't make sense haha. I'm confused why I don't have complete statues even tho I have emails from them. Maybe I should reach out idk

We will just have to wait for the great @CWRU.Sman to enlighten us. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the funky statuses

Damn this is weird, now I'm concerned 😅 it's prob nothing though

Nah that wouldn't make sense haha. I'm confused why I don't have complete statues even tho I have emails from them. Maybe I should reach out idk
this happened to me a few weeks ago and it ended up being a mistake, so be sure to reach out to them!

What is the mistake? I received complete emails but they're not in the portal
oh oops should've clarified. A few weeks ago I got an email saying that my application was complete even tho my LORs weren't in, so I had to contact admissions about it. There may also be an issue in the system in your case, so if you reach out to them then they can fix it for you!

Anyone gotten an II instead of an R lol

• Haha
I also got a complete email but nothing under communications but I don’t think it matters that much. Submitted 8/1 so let’s see

• Care
Nah I think you’re fine. I’ve never heard of anyone having an actual problem when everything is in but their application isn’t marked as “complete.” If I were in the office, I might get annoyed about all the people who probably reach out about this type of stuff. Not that it’s affect your app, but just for the sake of the other person’s sanity on the other end.

• Haha