Zolpidem affect on stage 3 and 4 (slow wave sleep)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a quick google search and found conflicting answers (some said zolpidem increases stages 3 and 4, others said it has no effect. Does anyone have a good source that can clear this up for board purposes (Kaplan, DIT, etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

i have no clue but benzo's typically SHORTEN stage 3-4 sleep giving you a poorer quality of sleep right?

although zolpidem acts similarly as a benzo, are you saying that it may in fact promote stage 4 sleep? i wouldn't have thought so..

Yeah, my understanding was that, although it resembles the benzo MOA, it's effect on sleep stages was different. Anyone know for sure?

I use it and it gives you ok but a little crappier than average sleep. Diphenhydramines are absolutely terrible. So I'd say it has some affect on stage 3 and 4 just through personal experience :D
Also if you're taking it, try not to take it more than 4 days. Gives you pretty bad reflex insomnia. Just 1 or 2 days is ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
MOA of zolpidem is like a benzodiazepine, but it affects stage 3/4 sleep much less. So I would say it preserves sleep architecture. In terms of increasing stage 3/4 vs. no effect, I wouldn't worry about that for Step 1. Just know that it does not decrease stage 3/4 sleep like a benzo.