Zero research interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pccm_guy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of a resident or fellow having issues in their program for not doing any research or having any publications? Could this be grounds of termination even if the house staff is completely clinically competent otherwise?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of programs have a scholarly project requirement, some a QI project requirement. So if you don't do those, you could not graduate...

Doing a poster a regional or national conference doesn’t take a lot of effort and usually an easy acceptance for a case report. Plus you get to go somewhere, get time off, and expenses often paid by the department.

A lot of programs have a scholarly project requirement, some a QI project requirement. So if you don't do those, you could not graduate...

And I believe those kinds of "research" are actually ACGME requirements...

Assuming that's not what you mean, your question is extremely vague and is probably specialty-dependent. I doubt that just "not bothering to do publications" would lead to you being terminated, but if you're the only ugly duckling in some ivory tower derm program that doesn't publish a case report, then you might ruffle some feathers.

Absolutely. One month to go in residency I was informed I hadn’t completed a QI project and that it was time to get cracking as it was a requirement for graduation. Thankfully one of my posters dealt with QI so I was safe, but several of my friends had to scramble for a quick project.

Point is, you need to take these requirements seriously and don’t expect that you can just “fly under the radar” and just graduate without doing one. Your program will check, and yes for many specialties it’s an ACGME requirement.

On a separate note, I was told on my LAST DAY I hadn’t completed the IHI Open School curriculum. I moved for fellowship 4 hours later, talk about a scramble to finish that... not really helping myself with these stories :laugh:

Anyone ever heard of a resident or fellow having issues in their program for not doing any research or having any publications? Could this be grounds of termination even if the house staff is completely clinically competent otherwise?
if they have a scholarly requirement (which i believe the ACGME requires), then yes...but a scholarly requirement could be as simple as a noon conference or a case report.

Reactions: 1 user
Given your screen name, all of the IM fellowships absolutely have a research requirement. They all have 12 months of "research" built into training (theoretically). The standard there is often much higher.

Reactions: 1 users
Given your screen name, all of the IM fellowships absolutely have a research requirement. They all have 12 months of "research" built into training (theoretically). The standard there is often much higher.
They do not all have 12 months of research. Some have much more and some have much less.

You are correct, but that's why I said theoretically. In any case, IM fellowships are held to the standard that most of their fellows should publish a journal article during their training. I was trying to be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Missed the "or fellow" part.

Yes, you have to do research if you're a fellow.

Particularly if it’s a multi-year fellowship. One poster on a case report might not be enough.

Doing these things aren’t too difficult, and most programs have faculty willing to lend a hand. Why are you asking about this, OP? Every program makes their requirements very clear on day 1.

You are correct, but that's why I said theoretically. In any case, IM fellowships are held to the standard that most of their fellows should publish a journal article during their training. I was trying to be helpful.

This is the guy that dropped out of college after 80 hours to go to an offshore medical school. Seems like he's always looking for the way out.

Let’s rewrite the question: has anyone ever heard of a resident or fellow failing to complete graduation requirements that were written in the handbook when the started and facing consequences for that decision?
Answer: yes

Reactions: 2 users