SOAP into surgical prelim VS Research in the field of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KORINDIA

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a non-US IMG and I wasn't invited for an interview during this match cycle.

I graduated in 2016 and had to serve in the military for 2 years(mandatory for Korean males) which further delayed my application.

My step 1 and 2 scores are rather on the low side and I have just 1 research experience and no USCE.

I know it's tough but I applied for FM, pediatrics, and IM prelim this year.

Now with the anticipation of hopefully matching in the next cycle, I have a question.

Would it be better for me to soap into any program (like surgical prelim which go unfilled in many programs every year) and get my work experience and USCE all together or apply for research programs and publish papers?

What would be the better option for me to apply for the next cycle?

Thank you so much for your valuable input!

Members don't see this ad.

I have to be honest, with no USCE or CS per your prior posts, your chances of soaping seem low I’m afraid to say. A prelim position would almost certainly be preferable given that it would give you experience, but failing that (which seems likely) apply for anything that will get you into the country and allow you to potentially get ANY experience with the US medical system.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to be honest, with no USCE or CS per your prior posts, your chances of soaping seem low I’m afraid to say. A prelim position would almost certainly be preferable given that it would give you experience, but failing that (which seems likely) apply for anything that will get you into the country and allow you to potentially get ANY experience with the US medical system.

I did get ECFMG certification through an alternative pathway provided by ECFMG and also I have a J2 visa through my husband who is finishing his residency and starting his fellowship. Since I did not get any invitation, I'm looking to soap/scramble into anything that will allow me to start in the US!

Thank you so much for your honest advice :)