Your thoughts? When to decide on a residency program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Special Delivery

Lots of Cynical Experience
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on this "What Would You Do?" scenario...

Hypothetical:
You've rotated/interviewed at three of the possible MTFs for your intended specialty. Of the three, you know that one in particular would be a good fit, yet you have one more rotation to go before match. Having found a program you like, would you decide prior to the fourth and final rotation (and let it be known how you feel), or would you be patient, keep an open mind, and wait to see if crepuscular light comes down and angels start singing when you arrive at the last MTF?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're going to cancel your last rotation, this feels like a false dichotomy.

What I mean is, the first option really only exists in your mind. It would be purely to relieve you of the stress of the application and match process. I don't think program directors care nearly as much as you think about hearing that their program is #1 on your list. And I think that's particularly true when it's a non-binding statement, which it would be in early September. In my mind, it's better to wait until after ROL submission and then inform the PD. In the meantime, speak highly of the program(s) that you like, but there's no utility in making binding statements at this time. You would be trading off the possibility of liking the last program more for essentially no benefit.

Of course, if you're looking to stop audition rotation now and hold what you've got, then that changes the calculus.

Hypothetical:
You've rotated/interviewed at three of the possible MTFs for your intended specialty. Of the three, you know that one in particular would be a good fit, yet you have one more rotation to go before match. Having found a program you like, would you decide prior to the fourth and final rotation (and let it be known how you feel), or would you be patient, keep an open mind, and wait to see if crepuscular light comes down and angels start singing when you arrive at the last MTF?
No need to play the games. If you really like one particular program, let them know so if they like you, they will fight for you at selection. Go to the last rotation with an open mind and make a good impression in case you match there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hypothetical:

I would encourage you to play your cards close to the vest unless you plan to cancel the fourth rotation. What do you hope to gain by telling programs that you've decided on a favorite? Your rank list will make your preference abundantly clear. In the meantime, it may be that the fourth program really is an optimal match for you, and you'll effectively be closing the door by telling them you've already written them off. You don't have to lie or play word games if they ask where programs stand; just say, "I really liked what I saw at program X, but I'm still thinking things through." My advice is to go to the fourth rotation unless you already planned to cancel it for other reasons (cost, scheduling, etc.), interview the program as it interviews you, and then let your rank list speak for itself.

Bear in mind that the military works differently than the civilian world. You have to rank six choices, and you may land at any of them. You'll certainly want to keep in touch with the PD of your favorite program, express your interest, etc., but it also never hurts to make friends around the MilMed community. Chances are you'll see them again at some point, be it during deployment or a future duty assignment.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that the military works differently than the civilian world. You have to rank six choices, and you may land at any of them. You'll certainly want to keep in touch with the PD of your favorite program, express your interest, etc., but it also never hurts to make friends around the MilMed community. Chances are you'll see them again at some point, be it during deployment or a future duty assignment.

This is good advice. The PD of the program I turned down (told him I was choosing the other one as my number one) became my specialty leader less than a year later. When I finished residency 3 years after that, it was time to talk orders. I was very glad that I had a history of positive, open, and honest communication with him. Also, I might well have ended up at my NOT number one program and wanted that to go well too.

As an addendum to what I said about making friends throughout MilMed: If I were you, I'd do at least a phone interview with every program for your desired specialty. That way you'll have introduced yourself if you should wind up at a program you didn't rotate at.

This is good advice. The PD of the program I turned down (told him I was choosing the other one as my number one) became my specialty leader less than a year later. When I finished residency 3 years after that, it was time to talk orders. I was very glad that I had a history of positive, open, and honest communication with him. Also, I might well have ended up at my NOT number one program and wanted that to go well too.

As an addendum to what I said about making friends throughout MilMed: If I were you, I'd do at least a phone interview with every program for your desired specialty. That way you'll have introduced yourself if you should wind up at a program you didn't rotate at.

this.

the military medical world is small-- and the military medical leadership world even smaller. the peons who you can afford to blow off are getting out regardless-- but the people you deal with in leadership positions tend to stay in and work their way up and around.

never burn a bridge, and never say anything you wouldn't be ok with your grandma hearing. even if they are the sorriest excuse for an officer you've ever seen, mind your p's and q's and do the right thing because next year they may be your boss. and as much as there are regulations and such, it never hurts to know people who know people. i've witnessed straight up shenanigans pulled for the benefit of people simply because of these connections. not to say i don't have a bridge or two that have been doused with gasoline and ready to burn should i light the match (and man am i twitching to do so), but at least the match is in my hands while i wait to make sure the bridge is still useful somehow.

at least do a phone interview and say you regret not visiting, you are sure their program is great, but this other one is a better fit for x and y reasons, etc etc. you know the game. :)

--your friendly neighborhood the game is afoot caveman