Transferring Services when starting at USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gas_Seal

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,
I have a question regarding switching service branches when starting medical school at USUHS.
I am currently a commissioned officer, and I am applying to USUHS this cycle. I am interested in pursuing the possibility of being sponsored by a different branch than the one Im currently serving in. The superior officer working with me to get my Letter of Approval is not certain that I will be granted permission to change to another service if I am offered a slot at USUHS. does anyone have experience with officers switching to another branch when they are offered a slot at USUHS? thanks for any advice or guidance you are able to provide.

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is possible, and if I remember right there were a few classmates back in the day who did cross services when they recommissioned as O-1s. But I have no idea what the requirements were or what that process was. It may be service specific.

Try reaching out to USUHS (maybe start with the student affairs office?), they should at least be able to point you to a contact.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I am a MS4 at USU. I have not seen anyone who switches the branch unless they marry another branch member. However, you can always ask the admission committee for any recent changes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is possible, and if I remember right there were a few classmates back in the day who did cross services when they recommissioned as O-1s. But I have no idea what the requirements were or what that process was. It may be service specific.

Try reaching out to USUHS (maybe start with the student affairs office?), they should at least be able to point you to a contact.
Awesome, thanks for the information, glad to see there are people who successfully do it! I started the process with the guidance of the admissions counselor from USU, but my concern was with my command in my service. they told me they were not sure the higher command would approve my conditional release with the possibility of an inter service transfer. However, I did state it specifically in my letter of intent and they are pushing it up with that verbiage in the letter. I know services can block transfers, but Im not sure how often they actually enforce that. I will have to see what happens in the next few months when the letter comes through and go from there.

Hello, I am a MS4 at USU. I have not seen anyone who switches the branch unless they marry another branch member. However, you can always ask the admission committee for any recent changes.
Congratulations on being nearly done with medical school, and thanks for the advice! I have reached out the the admissions counselor and they were very helpful.