your thoughts on my top 5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom_jones

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone interviewed at these programs and what they thought...

University of colorado
ohio state
U chicago
Utah

Members don't see this ad.

A resident at my program who went to my school matched at Colorado. He did his intern year there, then left to come back because he was miserable.
This guy is bright, mature, hard working and personable. I was shocked that he dropped out of that program, as it was his first choice and he was a competitive applicant. Anyway, he said it was very malignant etc. Apparently, their program often gets ranked highly because the quality of life od Denver living, and do not invest much effort into their department's culture. Although my sister -who Im very close to- lives nearby, based on this person's warnings and stories I am very hesitant to rank this program. It would be nice for me to hear otherwise about CU, but unlikely that a more credible source will become available.

Ergo said:
A resident at my program who went to my school matched at Colorado. He did his intern year there, then left to come back because he was miserable.
This guy is bright, mature, hard working and personable. I was shocked that he dropped out of that program, as it was his first choice and he was a competitive applicant. Anyway, he said it was very malignant etc. Apparently, their program often gets ranked highly because the quality of life od Denver living, and do not invest much effort into their department's culture. Although my sister -who Im very close to- lives nearby, based on this person's warnings and stories I am very hesitant to rank this program. It would be nice for me to hear otherwise about CU, but unlikely that a more credible source will become available.

Thanks for the advice. I have heard mostly positive things from people that interviewed there, but I have also heard about the malignant reputation from others. i wonder if that resident was there before the mandatory 80 hr week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to say it was a very recent experience - he left Colorado summer 04.
By the way - you mentioned other replies...did people PM you their input?

tom_jones said:
Thanks for the advice. I have heard mostly positive things from people that interviewed there, but I have also heard about the malignant reputation from others. i wonder if that resident was there before the mandatory 80 hr week.

I'm actually genuinely shocked to hear malignant statements applied to UColorado. I'm currently an intern here from out of state and one of the big draws was actually the atmosphere. I have found it to be far and away one of the least malignant places I've worked (compared to USC, Parkland (UTSW), UWashington the places I did surgery rotations). The work can be tough at times, but from chairman to progam director to fellow residents the atmosphere and support system have been great. I have found the surgical culture to be outstanding and one of the big draws of the program; therefore I'm at a bit of a loss to argue with these second-hand statements.

All I can say is that you should take advice given over the internet (mine included) with a grain of salt. If you have doubts, ask for the contact information for the intern class from the residency co-ordinator and give them a call/e-mail. "Ergo", I would be interested if you could check with your friend and figure out exactly what was so painful.

Yes, it does deserve further investigation. I would love to go to Colorado and live 30 min from my favorite sister. I am not in this year's match, so Im not trying to influence anyone's list - or whatever.

RedBlanket said:
I'm actually genuinely shocked to hear malignant statements applied to UColorado. I'm currently an intern here from out of state and one of the big draws was actually the atmosphere. I have found it to be far and away one of the least malignant places I've worked (compared to USC, Parkland (UTSW), UWashington the places I did surgery rotations). The work can be tough at times, but from chairman to progam director to fellow residents the atmosphere and support system have been great. I have found the surgical culture to be outstanding and one of the big draws of the program; therefore I'm at a bit of a loss to argue with these second-hand statements.

All I can say is that you should take advice given over the internet (mine included) with a grain of salt. If you have doubts, ask for the contact information for the intern class from the residency co-ordinator and give them a call/e-mail. "Ergo", I would be interested if you could check with your friend and figure out exactly what was so painful.

Id be interested in your experiences at UW and UTSW...