Your Stats and Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, So i took the April MCAT and currently awaiting results to come through in about a week or two (crosses fingers). Thus, my SMP's and post-bac's decisions are still up in the air; The program director of university of cincinatti did personally contact me with high interest asking for MCAT scores, but aside from that, Im still waiting on decisions. I would like to know, for you folks out there who have the luxury of security to a post-bac/smp, what were your stats? my undergrad GPA was a 3.2 (with a 4.0 in my final semester as a senior in a top 25 university). My MCAT Scores, on kaplan's tests anyway, have hovered around the 30s, and the April MCAT I thought was relatively easier then Kaplan's, (verbal was a little bit difficult as always). I guess I'm getting a bit more paranoid the closr my MCAT scores will be released. But anyway I digress.

my Science GPA: 3.0
Undergrad: 3.2

Extracurricular and Resume are excellent. What about you guys? Where did you guys get in so far? Did you guys apply early? Anyone else on the same boat as I am? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

as long as your mcats are in the high 20's (27+), i think you have an excellent chance of getting in (to an smp, not med school).

braluk said:
Hey guys, So i took the April MCAT and currently awaiting results to come through in about a week or two (crosses fingers). Thus, my SMP's and post-bac's decisions are still up in the air; The program director of university of cincinatti did personally contact me with high interest asking for MCAT scores, but aside from that, Im still waiting on decisions. I would like to know, for you folks out there who have the luxury of security to a post-bac/smp, what were your stats? my undergrad GPA was a 3.2 (with a 4.0 in my final semester as a senior in a top 25 university). My MCAT Scores, on kaplan's tests anyway, have hovered around the 30s, and the April MCAT I thought was relatively easier then Kaplan's, (verbal was a little bit difficult as always). I guess I'm getting a bit more paranoid the closr my MCAT scores will be released. But anyway I digress.

Extracurricular and Resume are excellent. What about you guys? Where did you guys get in so far? Did you guys apply early? Anyone else on the same boat as I am? :scared:

Well since no one else is responding, I'll try and help.
Overall gpa: 3.43
science: 3.23
Mcat: 29N
Accepted: USF, Rosalind, Barry
Waiting to hear from: Georgetown, Drexel

I got most of my applications in about mid may.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted into the Dartmouth CECS program for a MS degree. I was just doing some research about the program from the forum and alot of people are claiming it to be a bad stepping stone to Med School because of its lack of "Hard science courses" and its concentration in Health care issues. In fact, I have read from this forum that getting into the program is not hard at all, even though the average MCAT score listed on their website is between 27-30, plus the fact that it is an Ivy League School. I was just wondering if anyone else got into or rejected by the program and what were their stats? If someone could also share their thoughts about the CECS program as a postbac program, that would be great.

Undergrad GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 27

Banjo64dd said:
Just got accepted into the Dartmouth CECS program for a MS degree. I was just doing some research about the program from the forum and alot of people are claiming it to be a bad stepping stone to Med School because of its lack of "Hard science courses" and its concentration in Health care issues. In fact, I have read from this forum that getting into the program is not hard at all, even though the average MCAT score listed on their website is between 27-30, plus the fact that it is an Ivy League School. I was just wondering if anyone else got into or rejected by the program and what were their stats? If someone could also share their thoughts about the CECS program as a postbac program, that would be great.

Undergrad GPA: 3.3
WHen did you apply to the program....i applied a couple of weeks ago and am awaiting news. I hope that i get accepted it is a great program...What bad things have you heard about the program

waterlivergirl said:
WHen did you apply to the program....i applied a couple of weeks ago and am awaiting news. I hope that i get accepted it is a great program...What bad things have you heard about the program

Honestly I've heard very conflicting opinions, maybe because this program is not that well known yet. I've heard on this forum some people saying its easy to get in, yet I hear some people saying it's not easy to get in (from people who got flat out rejected). I understand how some people can argue that it doesn't serve as an academic enhancer becasue the classes are High Pass, Pass, Low pass, or no credit, but you are still obtaining a MS degree from a prestigious school which can only serve to help your background.
All in all, I don't know what to say. There are too many different opinions on this forum. If someone knows anything tell me, otherwise I have to trust the facts on their website: that the average MCAT score to their program is 27-30, 1/3 of their students are pre-med, of the 6-15 that apply to med school, 6-15 get in, and it's an Ivy League School for crying out loud.

My plan is that if my other school that I am waiting for doesn't pan out, I'll just do the Dartmouth CECS and to satisfy medschools with hard science classes, I'll just register for a couple of extension classes during the year.

Banjo64dd said:
Honestly I've heard very conflicting opinions, maybe because this program is not that well known yet. I've heard on this forum some people saying its easy to get in, yet I hear some people saying it's not easy to get in (from people who got flat out rejected). I understand how some people can argue that it doesn't serve as an academic enhancer becasue the classes are High Pass, Pass, Low pass, or no credit, but you are still obtaining a MS degree from a prestigious school which can only serve to help your background.
All in all, I don't know what to say. There are too many different opinions on this forum. If someone knows anything tell me, otherwise I have to trust the facts on their website: that the average MCAT score to their program is 27-30, 1/3 of their students are pre-med, of the 6-15 that apply to med school, 6-15 get in, and it's an Ivy League School for crying out loud.

My plan is that if my other school that I am waiting for doesn't pan out, I'll just do the Dartmouth CECS and to satisfy medschools with hard science classes, I'll just register for a couple of extension classes during the year.
Thanks for answering banjo....when did you apply though (did u apply this past month?)

waterlivergirl said:
Thanks for answering banjo....when did you apply though (did u apply this past month?)

I applied late April and received my acceptance end of May.

Overall: 3.37 and BCPM: 3.24 from Top 5 University
MCAT: 33Q

Just accepted this week to BU's MAMS and Georgetown's SMP, after sending in the applications during the 1st and 2nd week of May.

I applied to med schools this last cycle, and am currently only on one waitlist.

Good luck!! :luck:

Overall GPA: 3.0
Science: 3.3
MCAT: 34 N

I applied to University of Cincinni May 15th (Their deadline) and was accpeted.

I have an application processing at Tulane's Pharmacology program I sent it in last week.

I was going to apply to more schools but the acceptance to Cincinni made me rethink spending the money on more apps.

Undergrad GPA 3.15 (BS Neuroscience)
MCAT 30O
6 years CNA, 1 year volunteer EMT

Accepted at UMDNJ, Barry, Loyola
Waiting for Georgetown, Drexel, Midwestern.
I'll probably choose Loyola, but I'll have a big choice to make if I hear good news from Gtown...

UG GPA: 3.6 Majored in English with 3.9 non sci GPA
Sci GPA: 3.3
Lots of clinical experience

Accepted: Loyola MAMS, EVMS, GTown, BU MAMS, Tulane Pharmacology, Ros Franklin BMS

Waiting: Tulane ACP - find out June 30

chaeymaey said:
UG GPA: 3.6 Majored in English with 3.9 non sci GPA
Sci GPA: 3.3
Lots of clinical experience

Accepted: Loyola MAMS, EVMS, GTown, BU MAMS, Tulane Pharmacology, Ros Franklin BMS

Waiting: Tulane ACP - find out June 30

With a 3.6 id expect you to be applyin to med schools no?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that Gtown and Loyola seem to show great preference for a certain min MCAT score but BU and some others seem to say things like "students are generally around this score but since they will probably take it again, we do not set any minimum requirement"...do you think students with MCAT scores around 24-26 have a decent chance at BU/Dartmouth type programs if other parts of the resume are pretty good?

braluk said:

BCPM 3.2
Undergrad 3.6
MCAT: 29O

i applied early to mid may and was accepted to boston u., loyola, nymc, and wayne state. im still waiting to hear from georgetown and drexel.

chaeymae, where are you going to go since you hvae so many choices?

I got accepted to georgetown SMP, BUMAMS, Drexel, University of Cincinnati, Upenn, Loyola, VCU

I will be attending University of Cincinnati
MCAT Score: 31S

OVerall GPA 3.5
Science GPA 2.9
MCAT 30
Plenty of clincal
I got accepted into Drexel IMS and Tulane ACP

SGMD1 said:
Wow braluk...congrats on all those acceptances! How did you decide on Cincinnati?
read my thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=291751

Its very convincing. The fact that i can apply to ohio as a resident in one year, then ohios 8 medical schools will open up to me, to increase my chances to get into them (traditioanlly 60-70% of med students there are from ohio i hear). Not to mention two really difficult classes that adcoms look at very favorably, in physiology and biochem, with a M.S. in one year. Its cheap- 20K versus georgetowns 30 something thousand. After i apply to residency, if i go to one of ohios medical schools, tuition goes from 43K to 23K. It just sounds really amazing

braluk said:
I got accepted to georgetown SMP, BUMAMS, Drexel, University of Cincinnati, Upenn, Loyola, VCU

I will be attending University of Cincinnati
MCAT Score: 31S

Congrats on the MCAT score too. :D

I did get accepted to Tulane Pharma, but it looks like I will be going to Cinci as well. :clap:

Sci GPA: 3.2
Overall GPA : 3.4
MCAT: 14M

It's all about who you know, I kissed major butt to prove myself and I got in.

Overall: Do what you have to to make yourself known......it worked for me.

Good Luck to Everyone :)

MRSDOC2010 said:
Sci GPA: 3.2
Overall GPA : 3.4
MCAT: 14M

It's all about who you know, I kissed major butt to prove myself and I got in.

Overall: Do what you have to to make yourself known......it worked for me.

Good Luck to Everyone :)
where did you get in?