Your reasons for entering this field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Let me tell you a little about myself so you can understand where I am coming from. A few years ago I had a ‘nervous breakdown'. I know that's terms not really used anymore, but it's better than saying I had anxiety issues. I had some health issues, or so I thought. When I found out I was healthy, it was too late. The panic attacks and every physical symptom you can imagine set in. I was a wreck. I thought I had every disease (MS was the one that stuck in my head) and asthma because of my breathing. Of course I realized later it was my muscles and chronic hyperventilation causing most of my ‘symptoms'. I did not go down the med route. I saw a well respected psychologist who used CBT. After a few months I was better. Actually better than before. I never got anxious again. I lost 140lbs (was 325lbs, not good for a 6'1" male), made a lot of money in real estate (before I was to shy to talk to people at parties) and finished my associate degree in business. I also accomplished a dream and joined the Army Reserves. My life has taken off. My self esteem is through the roof. Having a nervous breakdown was the best thing that ever happened to me (did not think so at the time). I am thankful everyday of my life for it. The things that caused stress in my life (wife starting a consulting business, deaths in the family) have only gotten worse, but they have never affected me like they use to. Before I would drown out my worries with food, no I take care of any challenges with action.

I am leaving for Iraq in a few months. So I have been looking at what to do afterwards. One of the things that I can't get out of my mind is becoming a psychologist. At first I thought I was just interested in it because of my experiences. But the more I thought about it I realized it was more than that. I was always interested in helping people. I was always interested in solutions. Then I thought about what I had been through and realized maybe it happened for more reasons than just to better my life. Maybe this is what I was made to do. The business route I had taken did not appeal to me anymore. I became interested in more. I started reading Dale Carnegie, Tony Robbins, Wayne Dyer, Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, and Herbert Benson. I studied the philosophers of ancient Greece and China. I started reading about Taoism. I started become interested on how people think, why they think, what they think. I would see commercials for all these meds for anxiety and depression and would say why these people are taking these things.

So the more I though about being a psychologist, the better it sounded. I am only 33. There are plenty of schools in my area the have a Psy D and some that have a PhD program. I have plenty of money from real estate, so price is not an issue. I will be in Iraq and am looking at taking Drexel's online Psychology Bachelor degree. My job in Iraq is an office job and I have been told by others in my unit who has been there that I will have plenty of time for this. When I get back I want to go to La Salle's Psy D program full time, it is about one mile from my house.

My goal is to do therapy. The reason I want a doctorate in because is I want to be at the top of this profession. I am by no means one of those type A personalities; I just made a vow to myself long ago that I will excel in everything I do. And if a doctorate better equips me than I would get from being a therapist with a master's degree, than so be it. I am not knocking someone with an MSW degree; I have great respect for them. And I don't have doctor envy. It just feels right for me.

I have tried to persuade myself to think of doing something else. At first I said, "I don't want to listen to people problems all day." But the more I looked elsewhere the more I became convinced psychology is my calling.

Ok, sorry to give you that long, drawn out story. I wanted to give a little background and not just ask an ambiguous question that would waste my time and yours. I thought if you saw where I was coming from you could see where I was going with my questions. Here they are:

What have been your reasons to go into this field? Was it a calling like I feel or what some medical doctors say they feel when drawn to medicine? What kept you going through the schooling? Was it what you thought it would be? Would you do something else if you could do it over? Also, will me going to an online school, even if it Drexel, be not looked upon favorably when I apply for a Psy D program?

Thanks everyone for reading my post. Anything you can reply with or if anyone can relate to my experiences and wants to reply would be greatly appreciated. If you think me entering this field is a big mistake or I sound like a starry-eyed dreamer, please tell me that too. I take critism very well these days.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow - long post.

Lets see...

What have been your reasons to go into this field?

I was on a quest for knowledge. Psychology was able to answer questions that philosophy could not.

Was it a calling like I feel or what some medical doctors say they feel when drawn to medicine?

Don't know if it was either. More of a "natural progression." In many ways, this is not considered work to me - I read neuroscience books "for fun." My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts.

What kept you going through the schooling?

Still doing it and sometimes I wonder. It is amazing how fast you loose 3 years of your life... not knowing where it went.

Was it what you thought it would be?

No. There is less intellectual freedom than I had hoped for and the hoops to jump through are numerous.

Would you do something else if you could do it over?

I may have just "hung out a shingle," gotten some good supervision, and used my own interest to learn on my own. I don't enjoy university politics and policies. Maybe I would have gone to med school.

Also, will me going to an online school, even if it Drexel, be not looked upon favorably when I apply for a Psy D program?

Hmmm... I'm sure someone else can say something about that. I think you're safe though.

Best of luck.

Wow - long post.

I was on a quest for knowledge. Psychology was able to answer questions that philosophy could not.

I too was on a quest for knowledge....the biz world ended up being incredibly boring, at least for what I was looking for.

Don't know if it was either. More of a "natural progression." In many ways, this is not considered work to me - I read neuroscience books "for fun." My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts.

:laugh:

I had a nice career going, a ton of things going on, and I use to spend what little spare time I had on golf and reading psych books. I figured a life on the PGA just wasn't for me, ya know....a ton of travel....so that left me with psych or my current job. My g/f at the time thought I was crazy to buy and read books that had nothing to do with my career, when I was suppose to be getting ready for an MBA/MIS (my job req. it). Looking back it was so easy to see....but in the moment, it still took me some time to finally be ok with leaving a very comfortable career, for the life of a grad student. It was one of the best decisions i've made.

Still doing it and sometimes I wonder. It is amazing how fast you loose 3 years of your life... not knowing where it went.

It FLIES by.

Maybe I would have gone to med school.

That was my backup plan. It was a strong consideration when I was looking at clinical programs, and then I thought about it again after a year into my doc.....but it just wasn't worth 'losing' that year, just to start as a 1st year med student. It was more for the academic challenge, then what i'd actually use it for. I didn't think that was a good enough reason to change.

-t

I got fascinated with a book called "the biochemistry of memory", and had a great 1 year prof, who was dying of cancer and had nothing to lose by telling us the truth...