Your preferred textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your preferred textbook?

• Rosai and Ackerman's surgical pathology

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Sternberg's diagnostic surgical pathology

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters

Path ology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What pathology textbook is prefered to you and why?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as the all inclusive reference texts, I prefer Rosai. However, to be honest, whenever I have questions I go to subspecialty texts. I find that most systems have one or two gold standard texts. If you can build your library off these slowly, they will likely be more useful on the given subject matter than one of the all-inclusive texts. But again, as far as the inclusive texts go, I like Rosai.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sternberg is easy to read in the beginning because it is well organized and written by multiple authors, so it is more authoritative. once you are familiar with most of the entities then Rosai is a pleasure to read because Rosai's writing style reflects the way a pathologist thinks. (although, Rosai is authoritative too:naughty:)

I find Sternberg to be more readable, generally. However, I think subspecialty texts are really the best way to go, if you can afford to purchase enough to cover all the general/pertinent areas. I learn a lot more from subspecialty texts.

Last edited:
I bought Sternberg and it is alright. I have ready access to Rosai and there is a lot of "blah blah blah" that you often have to read around. Neither is really exhaustive or truly authoritative though, and both suffer badly from the problem of mentioning a certain dx exists and giving s micro description but omitting the photo. Seriously guys, WTF? Agree with building consensus that the sub-specialty texts are better/more informative.

Anybody use the Weidner Modern Surg Path or the Silverberg book (can't remember the title) primarily?

I tell ya what. I'd pay a mint for a continually updated exhaustive online path reference similar to UpToDate. Like serious money, $300-500/mo+.

There's definitely more out there than Sternberg & Rosai, though they're more common and seem to have the most traction and expectation for future editions/updating/etc. Silverberg includes more cytopath ("Principles and Practice of Surgical Pathology and Cytopathology"), if you're really looking for an "all inclusive" type text. When I was buying, Rosai seemed to have better pictures and I liked that it was all written by one person, so the flow was more consistent. But, in retrospect, Sternberg might have suited me better because of the tables and relatively easier readability. You can read a paragraph in Rosai like 6 times and see something you missed each time, it seems like -- no easy skimming, IMO.

In the end it's a personal preference. As much as I understand new residents wanting to get a good book and get going with it, I recommend waiting a few weeks and looking through the program library or a buddy's copy of each, multiple times with different entities, and see which one you'd really rather keep looking at going forward. This is not a cheap pick-up, and you're highly unlikely to buy more than one big 2 volume set at least during residency.

I have Rosai, but honestly haven't used it much since 2nd year of residency. Once you have subspecialty texts those become far superior.

I bought Sternberg and it is alright. I have ready access to Rosai and there is a lot of "blah blah blah" that you often have to read around. Neither is really exhaustive or truly authoritative though, and both suffer badly from the problem of mentioning a certain dx exists and giving s micro description but omitting the photo. Seriously guys, WTF? Agree with building consensus that the sub-specialty texts are better/more informative.

Anybody use the Weidner Modern Surg Path or the Silverberg book (can't remember the title) primarily?

I tell ya what. I'd pay a mint for a continually updated exhaustive online path reference similar to UpToDate. Like serious money, $300-500/mo+.
It exists! It's called Path Expert, it's a subscription service by the same people who do ImmunoQuery and I love it!