Your Pharmacy Manager........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

rphfan2009

I am currently working for a retail pharmacy and my 40+ Pharmacy Manager is a real bone head. Anyone else working for a jerky Pharmacy Manager? I actually don't mind working with the younger pharmacists--they are much easier to get along with. (P.S. I'm not trying to insult 40+ pharmacists--have met nice ones too--my boss is just the exception to the rule).

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently working for a retail pharmacy and my 40+ Pharmacy Manager is a real bone head. Anyone else working for a jerky Pharmacy Manager? I actually don't mind working with the younger pharmacists--they are much easier to get along with. (P.S. I'm not trying to insult 40+ pharmacists--have met nice ones too--my boss is just the exception to the rule).

only thing you can do is look for another job or transfer to a different store. sucks, but thats the only thing you can do.

i'm not sure i can imagine how your pharmacy manager behaves if he's a bone head. But if you don't like it, my advice would be to suck it up and keep your eye on the goal-pharm school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mind working with the older pharmacists, they usually have more to teach you. Sometimes I've felt as if I knew more than the younger pharmacists I've worked with, and I just finished P1. :eek:

I'll admit, my 50+ boss is kinda cranky, he'll get on my case if I'm 3 minutes late, or if stuff goes red in the queue, he'll definitely be pissed, but he knows quite a lot. And he's not as afraid of the corporate management as the younger pharmacists are.

only thing you can do is look for another job or transfer to a different store. sucks, but thats the only thing you can do.
I was just venting...Anyhow, I can't transfer b/c the store is close to me and the market sucks for jobs.

i'm not sure i can imagine how your pharmacy manager behaves if he's a bone head. But if you don't like it, my advice would be to suck it up and keep your eye on the goal-pharm school.
I was just venting...I could really give a shi$ less about my pharmacy manager to be quite honest--my LOR's are already locked up other RPh's :)

I don't mind working with the older pharmacists, they usually have more to teach you. Sometimes I've felt as if I knew more than the younger pharmacists I've worked with, and I just finished P1. :eek:

I'll admit, my 50+ boss is kinda cranky, he'll get on my case if I'm 3 minutes late, or if stuff goes red in the queue, he'll definitely be pissed, but he knows quite a lot. And he's not as afraid of the corporate management as the younger pharmacists are.
I agree that the older ones know a lot more stuff. As for corporate: pharmacists shouldn't really be all that worried--there are plenty of jobs out there and they can leave and try somewhere else in a heart beat (ie: another pharmacy down the street, etc).

In my case, I tend to sit on the opposite side of the spectrum. My pharmacy manager is in her twenties, graduated just a couple of years ago, and is a complete control freak where she does not know how to trust any of her technicians and interns. She acts like she has 6 pairs of eyes and tries to get on us anytime she feels that we are doing something wrong. Guess that is the price you pay when you are a perfectionist. :D

Something I noticed is that the younger pharmacists seem to be more easily molded into what the corporation wants them to be. My pharmacy manager is usually to last one on board when it comes to the stupid **** programs that CVS comes up with, like ReadyFill, PCI Calls, Generic Substitution Calls, FlavorRx.

In my case, I tend to sit on the opposite side of the spectrum. My pharmacy manager is in her twenties, graduated just a couple of years ago, and is a complete control freak where she does not know how to trust any of her technicians and interns. She acts like she has 6 pairs of eyes and tries to get on us anytime she feels that we are doing something wrong. Guess that is the price you pay when you are a perfectionist. :D
I know a pharmacist just like that and she is hated by her technicians. I can remember when she first came out of pharmacy school--she used to piss off her pharmacy manager and the other staff pharmacists constantly! She is basically anal and totally paranoid. She's just a real ***** ! Anyhow, the day came when her pharmacy manager quit (found a better offer) and this psycho pharmacist took her place as a the pharm manager. I still hear horror stories from people I know about her.

Something I noticed is that the younger pharmacists seem to be more easily molded into what the corporation wants them to be. My pharmacy manager is usually to last one on board when it comes to the stupid **** programs that CVS comes up with, like ReadyFill, PCI Calls, Generic Substitution Calls, FlavorRx.
Very true...some of the newbie pharmacists so DESPERATELY want to make a good impression:) I currently work with a young girl/RPh like that. She will do anything to make the customers and the corporate hireachy happy. I think eventually the newbie RPh's will figure out that all that stuff is total bullsh#it and go find more rewarding careers in the field of pharmacy (ie: non-retail). I apologize in advance: I loathe retail :)

Very true...some of the newbie pharmacists so DESPERATELY want to make a good impression:) I currently work with a young girl/RPh like that. She will do anything to make the customers and the corporate hireachy happy. I think eventually the newbie RPh's will figure out that all that stuff is total bullsh#it and go find more rewarding careers in the field of pharmacy (ie: non-retail). I apologize in advance: I loathe retail :)

Although, I have worked with young pharmacists who were really relaxed about things, maybe a bit too relaxed. One of them regularly came in late on Sundays (the shift I worked), soo it was like 10:10AM, store supposed to open at 10AM, and there I am sitting outside the pharmacy waiting for her to show up, and the customers are just staring at me, so I usually ended up sitting in my car until she showed up. This was the same one who wore quite revealing outfits.

thats true the corporate will NEVER appreciate anything that you do. The more you do the more they will raise the standards and ask for higher. IF you verfied 1000+ scripts a day, then your next goal is 2000+. :rolleyes:

Although, I have worked with young pharmacists who were really relaxed about things, maybe a bit too relaxed. One of them regularly came in late on Sundays (the shift I worked), soo it was like 10:10AM, store supposed to open at 10AM, and there I am sitting outside the pharmacy waiting for her to show up, and the customers are just staring at me, so I usually ended up sitting in my car until she showed up. This was the same one who wore quite revealing outfits.
I cam believe it! A lot of the newly minted pharmacists do show up late and even wear flip-flops to work. I've heard of quite a few who dress in revealing outfits too.

thats true the corporate will NEVER appreciate anything that you do. The more you do the more they will raise the standards and ask for higher. IF you verfied 1000+ scripts a day, then your next goal is 2000+. :rolleyes:
That is so true. I work at a pharmacy that does 600-700 daily and I sometimes feel like I'm working for slave drivers. The pharmacy is crowded and under staffed. Most importantly, I feel as though I'm not learning a single thing there.

That is so true. I work at a pharmacy that does 600-700 daily and I sometimes feel like I'm working for slave drivers. The pharmacy is crowded and under staffed. Most importantly, I feel as though I'm not learning a single thing there.

Oh I forgot to add you aren't the only person working for a bone head. My Pharmacy Manager is cutting my hours. I really don't care though b/c I am transfering to another store and when school starts I only want to work 4 hours a week. I think it's so mean to cut hours not b/c of money, but b/c of the fact that there is sooooooo MUCH work to be done and already not enough time to do it. So cutting hours just makes it even harder to finish my work up. but oh well, I don't care b/c like I say I am leaving that store ASAP.

Oh I forgot to add you aren't the only person working for a bone head. My Pharmacy Manager is cutting my hours. I really don't care though b/c I am transfering to another store and when school starts I only want to work 4 hours a week. I think it's so mean to cut hours not b/c of money, but b/c of the fact that there is sooooooo MUCH work to be done and already not enough time to do it. So cutting hours just makes it even harder to finish my work up. but oh well, I don't care b/c like I say I am leaving that store ASAP.
You are so lucky that you are going to another store :) I was just online right now and I'm applying to other pharmacies!

You are so lucky that you are going to another store :) I was just online right now and I'm applying to other pharmacies!

You have PM. :)