Your opinions please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whacked07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what are my chances of getting into a school? I graduated with a BA degree in psychology and have low stats on science gpa. I received an F and D's one year because of a death of relative due to cancer and an unexpected death of a close friend, and a breakup from a relationship.

I had taken my OATs twice and improved my stats the 2nd time around, but not enough to be considered competitive, it is pretty low compared to the ones I have seen on this forum, but its in the 300s.

I'm planning to retake the OATs a 3rd time in a few months (which I'm sure most of you haven't taken the OATs this many times. haha).

I've also taken 13 credit hours the in fall 2007 after I received my bachelor's degree in May 2007 since the schools that I talked to recommended me to take additional science courses. Unfortunately, I received 2 D's since I worked during the day 26 hours a week and took these classes in the evening. (I know, this isn't an excuse).

I have 3 years of working with an optometrist.

Do you guys recommend me to do graduate work while waiting or just reapply 3rd time around? How would the committee see this if I apply the 3rd time and not do graduate work?

I feel discouraged at the moment b/c I know I'm not a good standardized test-taker, and with my low gpa.....and since I am planning to apply this 3rd time around.....

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what are my chances of getting into a school? I graduated with a BA degree in psychology and have low stats on science gpa. I received an F and D's one year because of a death of relative due to cancer and an unexpected death of a close friend, and a breakup from a relationship.

I had taken my OATs twice and improved my stats the 2nd time around, but not enough to be considered competitive, it is pretty low compared to the ones I have seen on this forum, but its in the 300s.

I'm planning to retake the OATs a 3rd time in a few months (which I'm sure most of you haven't taken the OATs this many times. haha).

I've also taken 13 credit hours the in fall 2007 after I received my bachelor's degree in May 2007 since the schools that I talked to recommended me to take additional science courses. Unfortunately, I received 2 D's since I worked during the day 26 hours a week and took these classes in the evening. (I know, this isn't an excuse).

Do you guys recommend me to do graduate work while waiting or just reapply 3rd time around? How would the committee see this if I apply the 3rd time and not do graduate work?

I feel discouraged at the moment b/c I know I'm not a good standardized test-taker, and with my low gpa.....and since I am planning to apply this 3rd time around.....

It sucks to have to go through those obviously tough times and keep up your grades, but it is no excuse. It won't matter much to the admissions committee whether you got below average grades because of personal issues if you can't improve those grades during "normal" times. I'm not trying to diminish the impact of death and broken relationships, things like that have affected my grades as well, but not doing well in classes in the evenings does not look very well upon you being able to compete and handle all of the coursework in optometry school. It is a large volume of material that you are expected to learn and integrate. I think you would have to possibly retake some of the science pre-reqs to show any admissions committee that you have the ability. If you can show them that they may be able to look upon the grades you received during a tough time in your life as being an aberration. Have you applied anywhere before???

Having OAT scores above 300 helps you out, definitely, but you may have to earn high scores if you want to offset your grades, whatever they are. Higher scores on the OAT correlates with an increased chance of success in optometry school. That is true, no matter how anybody may spin it. It is not the only success indicator, but it is one.

That's about all I can say. Doing graduate work might help you out and show the school that you can handle more rigorous coursework. It all boils down to what you feel you need to do to get into school if in fact optometry is the field/career you want to do. I would contact some schools you are interested in to see how you can improve your admissions portfolio. Having the several years of optometric experience is a definite plus as well.

If your OAT score is over 300, I would not take that again right now. You have to concentrate on getting your GPA up, and making your coursework the major priority in your life. 13 credit hours in a semester is not that many, and getting two Ds with a somewhat lightened course load is not going to help your case. Don't work so much during the day....you need the time to concentrate on your schooling. A part time job is OK but keep it to 10 hours per week or less. If finances are a problem, then consider going with a student loan because trying to maintain that level of work AND take all of those classes AND get good grades is going to be incredibly difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your OAT score is over 300, I would not take that again right now. You have to concentrate on getting your GPA up, and making your coursework the major priority in your life. 13 credit hours in a semester is not that many, and getting two Ds with a somewhat lightened course load is not going to help your case. Don't work so much during the day....you need the time to concentrate on your schooling. A part time job is OK but keep it to 10 hours per week or less. If finances are a problem, then consider going with a student loan because trying to maintain that level of work AND take all of those classes AND get good grades is going to be incredibly difficult.

I've already graduated last year and so I am no longer taking any more classes. If I were to take another full courseload of work, I won't be able to take out loans anymore since I've already met my max of credit hours that I can take at my particular school. For my particular school, I had to take out loans based on a special student status and now I can't take out any more. Right now I'm more focusing on studying for the OATs and getting a better score.

I feel very sorry for you because I've been there once (not with admission in optometry, but with my undergraduate admission) and my brother's been there too with dentistry.

In my brother's case, he just went for another round without retaking DAT. But he did so much volunteer work in everywhere (hospital, Susan K Korman breast...and so on). He also somehow got to know two dentists personally well and ended up getting personal recommendations from them. Also, he did some lab working in the research lab although it wasn't part of his graduate work. (It was more like he got paid for what he's doing).

I hope this helps. Hang in there and be confident!

thank you all for your opinions. i'm still hanging on like i have been. optometry is something that i really want to do!! i'm going to do whatever it takes to put my foot in the door and at least get an interview!