Your most challanging task

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voyeurofthemind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you thought the most challenging task/project/skill was that you picked up or are still working on in the course of your doctoral training?

I'm struggling with writing a manuscript up for publication and this is tough. Knowing the literature I need to use and incorporating it while independently learning the concepts they are presenting so I can actually write something coherent is tough. It's one thing to write a paper and regurgitate information you research but to really have a firm grasp on it to use it and advance on it is daunting.

I'm having a serious case of the "imposter" effect right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but for me its deciding when to "stop". I spent > 1 year working on a manuscript because I wasn't happy with the analysis. I'm still not, but have (to some degree) given up. I've analyzed it 50 different ways, gotten 50 different answers, no one (including several high-ranking biostatisticians) has been able to provide a clear answer on which one is most appropriate. On my bad days I think the secret to research success is just to not think about things and not care about the quality of your work, but really I think I just need to learn to stop obsessing about things and learn to accept that its about the developing body of literature, not individual studies.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but for me its deciding when to "stop". I spent > 1 year working on a manuscript because I wasn't happy with the analysis. I'm still not, but have (to some degree) given up. I've analyzed it 50 different ways, gotten 50 different answers, no one (including several high-ranking biostatisticians) has been able to provide a clear answer on which one is most appropriate. On my bad days I think the secret to research success is just to not think about things and not care about the quality of your work, but really I think I just need to learn to stop obsessing about things and learn to accept that its about the developing body of literature, not individual studies.

Ugh Ollie I wish I had 1/4 of your stats abilities...

Members don't see this ad :)
Learning to be comfortable with therapy clients' discomfort in the room and not letting it impact my own behavior.

Writing manuscripts is easy for me. Now, they get rejected a lot, but I'm used to it. ;)

:laugh: I have this issue. My advisor tells me "just submit it when it's done." Problem? I am never done because I can always find something to change or nitpick or add or do something, somewhere with at any given time. This has only gotten worse with time.

So this is what happens when you become really skilled at statistics, eh?! :laugh: There is much peace in naivete.

My most daunting task, thus far, has been working as an assistant to faculty who give me very vague directions for administrative tasks. This stresses me out beyond belief. Research, clients, school work/papers, scheduling...no problem. However, a 2-sentence email with 4 attachments on a job that I don't know anything about and having no idea if I'm doing any part of it right? Daunting :scared:.

So this is what happens when you become really skilled at statistics, eh?! :laugh: There is much peace in naivete.

My most daunting task, thus far, has been working as an assistant to faculty who give me very vague directions for administrative tasks. This stresses me out beyond belief. Research, clients, school work/papers, scheduling...no problem. However, a 2-sentence email with 4 attachments on a job that I don't know anything about and having no idea if I'm doing any part of it right? Daunting :scared:.

Takes me back to my previous admin gig.

Reminds me of one of my most daunting tasks in grad school, which just about ruined me in the process: Learning to say NO.

It seems so simple now. :smuggrin: :oops:

Prioritizing. Being focused enough to get done what is important in the short term (e.g., thesis and dissert stuff, RA duties, clinical work) while also being forward-thinking enough to recognize which sacrifices will pay off in the long term (e.g., networking, do that extra manuscript with a clinical supervisor with connections, give those extra invited talks).

Inevitably, saying "no" has to happen, but deciding what to say no to is very difficult at first. Once you figure out what is important, figure out what is "good enough" and what ought to get your extra effort, life will become more manageable.

Prioritizing. Being focused enough to get done what is important in the short term (e.g., thesis and dissert stuff, RA duties, clinical work) while also being forward-thinking enough to recognize which sacrifices will pay off in the long term (e.g., networking, do that extra manuscript with a clinical supervisor with connections, give those extra invited talks).

Inevitably, saying "no" has to happen, but deciding what to say no to is very difficult at first. Once you figure out what is important, figure out what is "good enough" and what ought to get your extra effort, life will become more manageable.

Agreed. Balancing clinical work, research responsibilities, dissertation, coursework, and networking while trying to have a life outside of work is always a work in progress. Prioritizing, learning to be assertive, and time management skills are probably more important than intelligence in the end.