Your Least Favorite MCAT Section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalgearHMN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know which section you guys despise most. For me it seemed like a tie between PS and VR, but now my PS scores have been improving and it seems that understanding the concepts actually helps quite a bit, whereas VR I just don't know what I can do to raise my scores. Therefore, VR is my least favorite section + it has the harshest curve.

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal, by far. Why should my ability to read historical texts be a factor in whether I can be a good doctor or not? If anything, writing should be more important because it's more directly related to communication.

Verbal, by far. Why should my ability to read historical texts be a factor in whether I can be a good doctor or not? If anything, writing should be more important because it's more directly related to communication.

you're damn right

Verbal is my least favorite section as well, but I don't question its utility. I think it's a one way in which schools can see how well you understand complex texts, or texts to which you're unaccustomed. This can be seen as a parallel to understanding patients in a clinical setting, or understanding complex research papers. Yes there are flaws but the only other alternative is an interview, but we can't expend those kind of resources on all applicants, only on the ones who have shown already shown some aptitude through the MCAT.

Now that I think about it, if I can score high in verbal (12+), it will no longer be my least favorite section. Looks like there's a pretty strong consensus that VR is the worst though :p

Members don't see this ad :)
!@#$%^&^& VERBAL. Although i kept improving so did everyone else so my percentiles changed but not the score. To this day i still have post traumatic stress due to VR. I tell my shrink every week that VR is still stressing me although I got into school. Sometimes I get a wave of hysteria because of VR passages. What is the author trying to say....If this was changed how would the author change.....Now i have a headache so i will make an appointment with my shrink for more anti verbal pills

i would probably go with verbal, simply because it's one of the hardest to study for. at least with physical sciences there are concepts associated with the passages that you can learn from reading books...

Well verbal is probably important if you need to read a journal to learn a technique I suppose

Physical Sciences! No matter how well I do in practice exams, the real MCAT's PS screws me over! Damn you PS!!!!

its weird, sometimes i actually enjoy reading vr passages (as long as they're not about psychology).

Odd one out here but I actually look forward to doing Verbal. Use to be a major book worm when I had the time for it. I freaking hate scientific papers though or anything with the Arts. It's verbal diarrhea that just needs to hurry up and get to the point.

Cannot stand PS. Just when I think I understand something. Here's a WHOLE NEW FREAKIN CONCEPT thrown in this mess that makes everything else irrelevant. le sign

Definitely PS... hate physics with a passion and it's true, the practice exams (AAMC's) are NOT a good indicator of how you'll score on the actual MCAT in the PS section!

WTF. I just took a practice and apparently I got worse on verbal. FML.

I guess I'm voting for verbal...

Last edited:
physics. i don't care how electrons are moving through a particle accelerator or how a smoke detector works. wtf m8 just give me a 10 and let's read some art history.

I was expecting to see 0% for WS. Once you guys take the real MCAT you'll realize what a godsend WS is. It's like an hour-long break. I just leaned back in my chair and rambled on and on...