your input, please? 32 MCAT, 3.9 (s,c)GPA, NYC Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syringe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I would appreciate any bit of guidance regarding my medical school choices. My tentative list has been compiled based on information from the most recent MSAR release. I wish to apply to roughly 15-20 schools and have a good reach/match/safety ratio. Below I've listed only NY schools, but would love your help in choosing out of state schools. In order of preference, I want to consider schools in NY, CA, TX and MI. I'm also willing to look into good schools in other states as well (based on my stats, of course).

I'll consider any suggested additions or deletions to my list earnestly, as I realize I have plenty to learn.

Thanks!
syringe

------------

Bio:
-Bangladeshi-American, traditional student
-NYS resident

Education: BA completed at Hunter College
-Majors: German Language / Economics
-Minor: Math
-GPA: 3.9
-Sci.GPA: 3.9
-MCAT: 32 (10VR, 11PS, 11BS)

Work/Activities:
-Mount Sinai Patient Care Program: ~300hours
-Mount Sinai's Premed Research Opportunities Program: ~105 hours
-Shadowed Primary care physician: 150+ hours
-Intern at NYU Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center: 158 hours
-Work at a children's science museum in NYC
-Previously maintained my own tutoring service from 2010-2012
-Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Delta Phi Alpha, Deans List, Certificate from the Consulate General of Germany
-Languages: Fluent in Bengali, can converse and read in German, currently learning Spanish

Recs:
-Approved for committee letter
-Recs from PI at Mt Sinai, OCHEM 2 Prof, German Prof, Doctor I shadowed
-6+ Student Evals from other professors/instructors

-----------

my classifications may be off... corrections appreciated.

Reach Schools
1) Columbia
2) Icahn @ Mount Sinai (dream school!)
3) Weil Cornell

Match
4) Albert Einstein
5) SUNY Downstate
6) Stony Brook
7) Buffalo State
8) University oF Rochester
9) NYU (reach?)
10) Hofstra
11) Albany

Members don't see this ad.

I think your stats are good and your ECs are great! I think you will standout considerably to med schools because of your Bangladeshi-American heritage and your fluency in Bengali and German. I think your Reach Schools are correct. NYU may be a reach, too, but since you were an intern at the research center and are a NY resident, it should give you a small advantage.

Schools in CA and TX are very biased towards in state applicants. You could apply to USC, but other than that, I think it would be smart to stay away from these states unless you are in-state (which you aren't).

I would add in some of the PA Schools, like Drexel and Temple, and some of the IL schools, like Ros. Franklin and Loyola. It wouldn't hurt to add in NYMC either.

GPAs are rgeat, but the avg MCAt score kills you for the highly competitive CA schools. Mt Sinia is not such a reach, so go for it! I think even NYU, Columbia and Cornell are worth a shot. Add SUNY Upstate and NYMC and you're set. You're fine for most of the Philly schools too (except U PA). Add Quinnipac while you're at it, as it's probably closer physically to you than Buffalo!

1) Columbia
2) Icahn @ Mount Sinai (dream school!)
3) Weil Cornell
4) Albert Einstein
5) SUNY Downstate
6) Stony Brook
7) Buffalo State
8) University oF Rochester
9) NYU (reach?)
10) Hofstra
11) Albany[/QUOTE]