Your Honest Opinion about Colorado psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych.MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I can't figure out the current situation of Colorado's residency program.

I have heard that the program is malignant and most people I have talked to who interviewed there last year and years prior were not impressed at all.

Why is this? I know there is a new program director. When did she become the PD?

Are the faculty members that harsh?

What about the primary care months?

I would appreciate any input from current residents and applicants who have interviewed recently.

Members don't see this ad.

I would appreciate any insight

I would appreciate any insight

Please note that not every person registered with SDN reads this forum on a daily basis. One could argue, then, that posting a request and waiting one day before returning to bump the post is indicative of some underlying impatience and also suggests that your expectations might need to be revised.

If you wait a week or more and still nobody replies, then there are several possibilities: (1) no readers are interested in this thread and therefore no one has bothered to post a response; or (2) a nonzero number of readers are interested in this thread and have information but are unwilling to post it. (As an example of the latter, please refer to the Official Interview Feedback Thread 2006-2007 started by r. swirl -- 3800+ viewings but only <40 posts.)

Regardless of whether #1 or #2 is true, I would like to suggest that repeatedly flogging this post is likely to be unhelpful. :)

Kind regards,
-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
As my 4th grade teacher used to say to me, "that is rude, crude and un called for".

Why do you always put "..." in the title field?

Hello,

Just wanted to provide some info regarding Colorado Psych program. I am currently a third year resident and I have to say the program is fantastic. The variety of patient population, didactic teaching and interest of the faculty are tops. Granted, you will work hard in the program and if you are not interested in working hard you shouldn't apply. Everyone is expected to pull their own weight. On the other hand, you have plenty of time for fun, family, relaxation, the mountains, city life and to respond to inquiries such as this. This is a top 10 medical research program in terms of dollars.

Typically, the people that do not do well here are those with major personality issues and those who would not be happy with any program that requires them to lift a finger. Residents like the program for the most part and get along very well with eachother.

The new program director is now several years in and the program is stronger now than it has ever been.

You need to look and examine the program yourself and draw your own conclusions.

i am actually really interested in colorado's program as well and was wondering if you could give any recommendations. i am currently a third year medical student on the east coast. are there opportunities for visiting 4th years? thanks!

I've heard good things. I interviewed there, but the climate just wasn't for us.

I recently interviewed at Denver, and I think the feeling I got from the experience is tumultuos changes. Don't get me wrong, I think the changes are all in a positive direction. They are evacuating the 100 year-old asylum, and drudging out the program. The new director seems to be very adept at slicing up the old program and extracting the malignant. For instance, call used to require one person from each year to be present each night, each class performing a different duty, according to skill level/experience. What that meant was everyone was on call all the time, but doing practically nothing each night. Now call is like most programs, only q6-8 and busy. That's just one example. Much of the dialog of the tour revolved around "what once was is now no longer." On the bright side, the new buildings are beautiful, the faculty (i met) were congenial, and it's colorado-- purple mountain magisty, blizzards upon blizzards of snow, yada yada yada... So any way yeah. I'm not sure. Lots of change. Probably good, but they wont reach equilibrium for a little while, as they will move the department in 2008.