Your help is appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InvitroDerm

www.invitroderm.com
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 3.90+ GPA and a 30 MCAT. I applied last year with low EC's (1 summer research, 300 hours at a cancer center (100 hours of those were directly helping patients)). So far I have only volunteered in a pediatric ward for 30 hours but left after 30 hours because I didn't feel I was a good fit. I loved the kids, however. Can I still put those hours down if it wasn't a full commitment? Also, this year, I am hoping to be a counselor for seriously ill children 1x month for a year and take a graduate pathology course in the spring (for fun and a LOR). I also plan on shadowing at least 10 docs (that I met at the cancer center like derm, surgery, hem/onc, etc.) My personal statement last year was abysmal, as told to me by the adcom. I wrote about a family member's illness only. Also, my interview wasn't too stellar. Does anyone have any more advice for me? I have only one shot left before my MCAT expires (there is no point to my applying this year as my resume didn't change much.) Also, I am working a full time job that is just customer service, so it eats up a lot of my time. I can't really find different health care related employment since I do not have any experience and due to the recession.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can use a short-term clinical volunteer experience on your application.

The shadowing you've planned is way more than you need to do if you are short on time. Following 2-3 doctors for 8-40 hours each would be fine. You'd be better off spending 3-4 hours each week volunteering in a clinical situation. The counseling sounds great, but I would supplement it with something else. Even two hours every other week, if possible. You don't want a third application cycle due to a perceived sparseness of clinical experience or commitment. If you could get a job in a lab, that would be ideal for you, but a regular customer service job is worth listing too, as it brings out your problem solving and people skills. If there is anything you can do to show leadership, that would be great to have on your application too. With 10 months to beef up your ECs, you should be able to pull them from below average to terrific.

In addition, practice your interview skills. Get lists of questions from SDN's Interview Feedback section and have friends and family grill you in an aggressive way to build your tolerance of stressful questions. Once you've rewritten your PS, have multiple readers give an opinion, including an old English teacher, parents, friends, and other pre-meds. The PS should be about your path to finding an interest in medicine and should not highlight another person.

Thank you Stratego. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you suggested, you had interviewed with at least one school? Or did you acquire multiple interviews? That can be used to measure how much time you will need to devote to more ECs ( since you have a full time job).

I only applied to my state school. Look, okay, I did EVERYTHING wrong. This time I'm going to apply more broadly - at least to 5 schools. However, I've heard of people applying my state school 3, 4, and 5 times and then getting in. Okay, so here is my lineup - counselor for very sick children/families (I hope I exhibit that I can really help in this situation), I day/week caregiving assistant at an assisted living center (I'm certified), shadowing, and then 4 hours /week doing something in the hospital (ER seems so common, so I don't know). I really would rather keep trying for MD than go DO or Carib. Can you guys give me some advice for some good volunteering activities besides what I am already going to do?

If you do what you've just outlined, I think you'll be fine. If you don't want to be in an ER, then consider Post-Op, newborn nursery, or general transporter (but not gift shop or information desk). If being in a hospital isn't appealing, try for a spot in hospice care, a free clinic, or a family-planning clinic.

Also, make sure to have other people read over your PS, as the adcoms told you that your PS needed improvement. And do some more ECs, if you had an interview last time, beefing up your app and applying again should give you a great chance.

Also, you need to apply to more than 5 schools. There are lists around that have schools you should have a good shot at. Start by adding those.

Last edited:
Apply to more than 5 schools. That's just not enough. Even people with 4.0/40 don't get in if they only apply to 5 schools. Try for at least 15 to make sure you don't have to keep repeating the application cycle. The extra money is worth it to avoid wasting another year of your life in limbo.