Your Favorite Bone--and Why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlleghenyPOD

1st Year MD-bound
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of all the 206 bones in the human body, what is your favorite? List a reason for that.

Mine is 12th thoracic vertebra: My favorite because the twelfth thoracic vertebra has the same general characteristics as the eleventh, but may be distinguished from it by its inferior articular surfaces being convex and directed lateralward, like those of the lumbar vertebrae; by the general form of the body, laminae, and spinous process, in which it resembles the lumbar vertebrae; and by each transverse process being subdivided into three elevations, the superior, inferior, and lateral tubercles: the superior and inferior correspond to the mammillary and accessory processes of the lumbar vertebrae. Traces of similar elevations are found on the transverse processes of the tenth and eleventh thoracic vertebrae.

Members don't see this ad.

I see this thread going downhill real quick :horns:
:thumbup:
One of my grandfather's many stories...

A dutchess was visiting the wounded troops during WWII. She came upon one soldier...

"Tell me young man, where were you wounded?"

"I'm afraid it wouldn't be proper for me to tell you."

"I've seen many wounds in this war, don't be afraid, you can tell me."

"If you must know, I was shot in the penis."

"Oh my! Did it break the bone?"

"Dutchess, please give my compliments to the duke."

Members don't see this ad :)
My favourite is the trapezium, because when my friends are being bossed around by their girlfriends, I call them trapezium, aka "under the thumb" :)

I loooove the stapes. It's adorable, like a little monopoly piece.

The atlas. Regarding its structure, instead of following the rules, it just does whatever the hell it wants. Plus it helps keep our head on straight.

the baculum

clavicle

because i find it strangely hot feature on women :thumbup:

My pubic bone

picture.jpg

Oh, and to answer the question, I'd have to say it's a tie between the long pastern, short pastern, and coffin bones of the horse (or proximal, middle, and distal phalanges), just because they fit so nicely together.

Equine-dist-forelimb-bones.png

Members don't see this ad :)
So why exactly *don't* humans have an os penis? Most other mammals have one...

Some have proposed that not having an os penis allowed for females to better select healthy males for breeding partners (i.e. helps rule out severe depression, high bp, etc because without an erection you can not breed). Not sure I buy this (seems to me that the os penis would have the advantage in this situation to the male because you could fake being healthy), but an interesting thought nonetheless.

The fabella.

I'm partial to the navicular for some reason.

The hyoid, because it is the only bone that does not articulate with any other bone. It's also pretty cruicial in speech.

The tibia.

So many different ways to break it, half of them really awful and hard to heal.

The pelvic outlet (more a structure). A baby can go through there, that's respect.

Our anatomy course director just sent us this article last week :laugh:

Some have proposed that not having an os penis allowed for females to better select healthy males for breeding partners (i.e. helps rule out severe depression, high bp, etc because without an erection you can not breed). Not sure I buy this (seems to me that the os penis would have the advantage in this situation to the male because you could fake being healthy), but an interesting thought nonetheless.

Attachments

• Gilbert_Congenital human baculum deficiency.pdf
    44.7 KB · Views: 439
"Anatomy" was a category on Jeopardy last night. Among the answers were ball and socket joint (video of skeleton rotating shoulder), sacrum (bone between lowest lumbar segment and coccyx), mitral valve (double jeopardy: valve named after bishop's hat...guy said "miter"), and tibia (second longest bone, in lower leg).

The hyoid, because it is the only bone that does not articulate with any other bone. It's also pretty cruicial in speech.

au contraire. neither does the fabella.

Our anatomy course director just sent us this article last week :laugh:

Oh my God. That drives me nuts, people trying to force science to fit creationist stuff.

Q. What is the biggest vein in the vagina?

A. The deep dorsal vein of the penis! :laugh:

Oh my God. That drives me nuts, people trying to force science to fit creationist stuff.

my take on it was that it was tongue in cheek...arguing this stuff seems so ridiculous

my favourite bone is SCAPULA....the reason is that it was my first bone,i mean the first bone i studied in the medical school....its seems as people adore first love so i adore first bone:love:.....other reason it seems so beautiful,so mythical to me with a lot of processes and when i grip it from spinous process and wave it in the air it seems like a cute flag of peace....just a fun...i used to do in my dissection hall....
i wonder cranial bones are no one's favourite...

Not a bone, but I have a favourite muscle. the pronator quatratus. so hot. when a forearm is disected real nice, and all the fat and fascia is removed, it is so nice to dig in under all those tendons and feel it. so smooth.

au contraire. neither does the fabella.
All sessamoids articulate with some bone or joint. Think about it another way -Soft tissue's response to any chronic irritant is to calcify, which is exactly what happens to a tendon under the strain of being pulled across a joint.

All sessamoids articulate with some bone or joint. Think about it another way -Soft tissue's response to any chronic irritant is to calcify, which is exactly what happens to a tendon under the strain of being pulled across a joint.

Wow that's deep. I gotta think about that for a second.

Yeah, you win this thread. :thumbup:

Most sesamoids have a sliding articulation with another bone in the joint, but the fabella often does not. It's usually embedded within the tendon, and insulated from contact with any other bone. I guess your definition of "articulates with another bone" is different from mine.

scapula coz that's the first bone i learned.....

fibula - it doubles a pointer too...

Not a bone, but I have a favourite muscle. the pronator quatratus. so hot. when a forearm is disected real nice, and all the fat and fascia is removed, it is so nice to dig in under all those tendons and feel it. so smooth.

I'm so with you on that one. I love how it's always right where it should be, easily distinguishable from everything else... short and sweet.

The hyoid bone. Its just kinda chillin' by itself!

so you think i am such a bubble headed!......ofcourse thats on the lateral side...i feel difficulty in deciding whether the bone is of right leg or the left leg!
and probably whenever examiner asks for side determination of a bone he is never asking for lateral or medial one ,he is asking for the limb the bone belongs to....right or left!always keep that in your mind...

I have to say sphenoid. That is one complicated bone! Plus it has all of those cool foramina. :)