Your Dental Class Demographics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElMaestro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Dental Students. I'm currently thinking about going to graduate school to finish off some science pre-reqs and beef up my application a bit and applying to dental school. As current dental students, do you know of anyone, possibly in your class (or yourself), that has been in my situation and found success upon applying to dental school?

Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.22 (BYU)
Science GPA: 2.8
Graduate GPA (Education): 3.75
Work Experience: Spent the last three years teaching K-12 Spanish
DAT: Not taken
Tons of service experience

The only undergrad sciences that I need are ochem and physics. I'm looking at a few graduate science programs in Southern California. Any opinions or contructive criticisms are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

it really depends on how you do on the DAT. i'd get w/ your BYU pre-dental students tho. the mormons have a lock down on dental school seats for sure. i want to be bitter but they're so damn happy and nice. hahaha gotta love 'em.

Make sure you get A's in the remaining science classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get As in those last couple classes and knock the DAT out of the park and you've got a good shot. You can make up your low science GPA if show you know the material on the DAT.

Suerte y adelante joven

Without a DAT score its hard to guess but the GPA is certainly within reason especially if you can do well in a few more science classes. The teaching gig will look nice too, I would think.

I had similar undergrad scores and didn't get in. Went back and a got a MS and finished with a similar grad GPA as yours and got in 2nd go around.

Last edited:
Ditto to the above. A's in your most recent science courses and 20+ on the DAT will be looked at favorably.