How to achieve high class rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teefdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Students who have achieved high class rank (top 20%) in D1-D2, what have helped you to do so? Any study tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll be completely blunt. I don’t leave my apartment except for mandatory class and I study all day every day even on the weekends from when I wake up til when I go to sleep except for tv breaks throughout the day. Also have a solid anki making group that keeps each other focused. I don’t use test banks or other passed down cheating material. It may be overkill, but I’m at the very top of the class. Just finished my d1 first semester so who knows, maybe it’s been a fluke

Reactions: 1 users
I think that may be a little overkill for some people. I’ve been in what I assume would be the top 10% (our school doesn’t rank but my gpa is a 3.99) and I haven’t been confined to my house studying for 2.5 years. I think you have to study hard at the beginning and overprepare because you don’t know what it’s going to be like. Once you get into the rhythm of things you’ll get a feel for how much you need to study and how prepared you are. I generally only studied on weekends and occasionally weeknights if I had a big test or quiz. But those weekends were 10+ hour days. At the beginning study as hard as you can to set yourself up we’ll. There were some students in my class who thought they could get by doing the minimum amount of studying and ended up wrecking their gpas the first semester.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
work hard, find others that work hard too, they'll help you

Reactions: 1 user
Get notes and old exams from upperclassmen that are studious/highly ranked. Ask them how to do well in your classes. Study a lot more than your peers. Go over exam material 3 times. Spend a lot of time in the lab and get tutors for drilling.

Reactions: 3 users
Students who have achieved high class rank (top 20%) in D1-D2, what have helped you to do so? Any study tips?
- Memorize everything in the slides (Anki helps)
- Quiz each other with a group of friends
- Find all the old exams and review with your group of friends.
- Get lucky
- Don't burn out

- Memorize everything in the slides (Anki helps)
- Quiz each other with a group of friends
- Find all the old exams and review with your group of friends.
- Get lucky
- Don't burn out
exactly what I did 👏🏽

need mostly discipline with a sprinkle of good luck

I think that may be a little overkill for some people. I’ve been in what I assume would be the top 10% (our school doesn’t rank but my gpa is a 3.99) and I haven’t been confined to my house studying for 2.5 years. I think you have to study hard at the beginning and overprepare because you don’t know what it’s going to be like. Once you get into the rhythm of things you’ll get a feel for how much you need to study and how prepared you are. I generally only studied on weekends and occasionally weeknights if I had a big test or quiz. But those weekends were 10+ hour days. At the beginning study as hard as you can to set yourself up we’ll. There were some students in my class who thought they could get by doing the minimum amount of studying and ended up wrecking their gpas the first semester.
Yeah, the rhythm of the studying process is essential to get a productive focus flow.

work hard, find others that work hard too, they'll help you
Do you have advice on how to break first barriers while meeting others?
I have an idea to gather a small group of enthusiasts to study to achieve the high rank, but I guess it would slow my process down because of distractions.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Med advisor at uk.edubirdie, providing assistance for medical case study writing. "I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure. I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm." -the Hippocratic oath(modern)

Last edited:
Do you have advice on how to break first barriers while meeting others?
I have an idea to gather a small group of enthusiasts to study to achieve the high rank, but I guess it would slow my process down because of distractions.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Med advisor at uk.edubirdie, providing assistance for medical case study writing. "I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure. I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm." -the Hippocratic oath(modern)
You might be a collaborative person, but I have a feeling most others shooting for a high rank won't want to work in a group. Also, I agree that you'd probably get more done on your own.

you'd probably get more done on your own.
This. “Study groups” are very inefficient uses of time. I think group studying can be helpful if something is conceptually very challenging. Little in dental school is conceptually challenging, it’s about learning to deal with volume.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
This. “Study groups” are very inefficient uses of time. I think group studying can be helpful if something is conceptually very challenging. Little in dental school is conceptually challenging, it’s about learning to deal with volume.

Big Hoss
I only did quizzing with 1-2 serious other students day before the exam.

Other than that all 'study groups' would became guys talking about NBA/NFL and girls talking about the Bachelor

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users