Your BEST med school moment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happydays

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
inspired by the "hardest med school moment" thread.

So, what was your best moment?

Members don't see this ad.

happydays said:

Hey before you go starting a rival thread why don't you first visit mine and offer some encouraging words?

Brickhouse said:
Hey before you go starting a rival thread why don't you first visit mine and offer some encouraging words?

I can't think of a really bad one for the "horrible" thread, but here's my good moment:

PBL advisor (FP attending) told me that I (at the end of 2nd year) showed clinical judgement better than most 4th years that she had seen. :eek:
I can't wait to see the look of disappointment on her face when she has me on rotations in a few months and finds out how incompetent I can be.

...but it was very reassuring/encouraging and a great thing to hear at the time

Members don't see this ad :)
The best medical school moment will occur 1.5 weeks from now...the moment I'm done with medical school forever at graduation.

CANES2006 said:
The best medical school moment will occur 1.5 weeks from now...the moment I'm done with medical school forever at graduation.

Congrats! I hope to do ob/gyn too

Brickhouse said:
So the OP is required to visit and post in your thread before he is allowed to post elsewhere?

Strange.

bigfrank said:
So the OP is required to visit and post in your thread before he is allowed to post elsewhere?

Strange.

no, s/he's supposed to stroke my ego a little bit before ripping off my thread idea - I think that's in the rules of SDN somewhere?

I know sarcasm doesn't come across real well here so sorry about that.

Brickhouse said:
no, s/he's supposed to stroke my ego a little bit before ripping off my thread idea - I think that's in the rules of SDN somewhere?

Your avatar terrifies me.

Brickhouse said:

I'm a "she," and I stroke everything but egos. ;)

CANES2006 said:

:clap: congrats to that! :thumbup:

It's a tie between finishing my medicine clerkship and the day I was scrubbed in for a surgery, held out my hand and said, "Scissors!" and actually got scissors, instead of attitude from the scrub nurse. :)

happydays said:

'atta girl - i give you permission to do whatever you want...

Members don't see this ad :)
Brickhouse said:
'atta girl - i give you permission to do whatever you want...
:laugh: :laugh:
1159.gif

229.gif

:laugh: :laugh:

happydays said:
You're my personal SDN hero, happydays. :thumbup:

Labslave said:
You're my personal SDN hero, happydays. :thumbup:
Thank you! I'm flattered. I'll see you in class in the fall! ;)

:laugh: at Brickhouse's avatar. Great ! :thumbup:

I agree that my best med school moment will arive next week - as I walk across the stage and graduate - woohoo!!

But up until now, one of the best moments was during a Peds Pulmonary elective 4th year. I rotated through various clinics as well as admitting kiddos to the floor and doing consults. My very first day in CF clinic I met the most adorable 5 year old girl, with whom I had an extensive conversation about soccer :) She came in to clinic once more during the month, just as adorable as ever. And then unfortunately, we had to admit her for worsening infection. I went to the hospital to round and as I walked into her room she shouted "Kelly!" and gave me a big hug as only little children can give.
Establishing a connecting with this child and her family in the short time I was on service was so rewarding and definitely a "best" moment in med school.

I like the idea of this thread. I know I certainly tend to focus on the negative aspects of medical school and I should try to think of the positives also. My best moment came when I was a third year student on my primary care rotation. I saw a patient for the second or third time for a chronic problem, and this time, he brought his wife to the clinic. They said that the wife was looking for a doctor and, after carefully considering their options, they decided on me. I was so flattered. Of course, I had to tell them that not only was I not accepting patients, I wasn't even a doctor yet.

happydays said:

Making a 94 on my end-of-year comprehensive pathology final exam.

That and finishing the second year!

OSUdoc08 said:
Making a 94 on my end-of-year comprehensive pathology final exam, which is purported to approximate with performance on boards.

thank you Big G ;)

nice job!

Best moment in med school: my dean said that I'm the most assertive medical students he's ever seen.

Best moment outside of med school: pulling a hat trick in a one-week period.

OSUdoc08 said:
Making a 94 on my end-of-year comprehensive pathology final exam, which is purported to approximate with performance on boards.

94% correct on Step 1? :eek:

happydays said:

My best moment was catching a laryngeal cancer that the ER missed. On my eval, the attending said I was like one of his colleagues :love:

My best moment came during Vascular surgery. My attending is known as kind of a hard-ass, but one day we were doing an AKA (Above knee amputation). 4th year resident was operating and I was 1st assist. I'm bovieing, cutting, clamping vessels. Meticulous hemostasis. The attending, who has been sitting in the corner of the room doing paperwork, comes over and shouts, "Aren't you done yet, it's a bloody AKA!" He then proceeds to scrub in and call out, "nurse, get me my knife." She runs into the sterile center-well and comes back with rather large sterilized-towel wrapped item and begins unwrapping. Next thing I know, the scrub tech is handing the attending a 12" Machette-looking knife. Basically a butcher knife. He takes two slices through the soft tissue, grabs the saw, saws through the bone and scrubs out, mumbling the entire time about how worthless we are. I was in complete shock! But it was totally awesome. I WILL have MY knife someday.

"Nurse, get me MY knife!"

I have 2...

1. ObGyn, second rotation of third year, first surgery I'd ever scrubbed in on. This was a very sweet little forty-something lady with three kids, who came in with weight loss and ascites, and had a large ovarian mass on imaging. And abdominal lymphadenopathy. And omental thickening. So we had a long conversation with her and her family prior to surgery about the probable terminal nature of her ovarian cancer, etc.etc. but decided to do a palliative debulking. I was SO nervous to be scrubbed in on my very first case ever! The gyn-onc fellow, who was very cool, decided to let me open (!!) and I was first assist for most of the case. When we opened, this cascade of ascites and pus came out....turns out the lady had a huge intra-abdominal abscess that had gotten walled off by omentum. We washed her out, put in drains, etc. and then scrubbed out to go tell her family that she was going to be just fine. They were crying so much that I started to tear up too. The best part of the whole thing was talking to her in the recovery room - the look on her face was one I'll remember forever. I think this was the point at which I decided to be a surgeon.

2. Happened just a couple weeks ago - I was on an anesthesia rotation, hanging around the trauma center, bored silly. A senior surgery resident came walking by, said "Come scrub in on this hernia" and then whispered "don't tell anybody, but I'll let you do the case." I nearly tripped over my own shoes running to the OR, and sure enough, he let me do the whole case, skin to skin, on my own. I had this big goofy grin under my mask the entire time. It was great!

MediCane2006 said:
I have 2...

1. ObGyn, second rotation of third year, first surgery I'd ever scrubbed in on. This was a very sweet little forty-something lady with three kids, who came in with weight loss and ascites, and had a large ovarian mass on imaging. And abdominal lymphadenopathy. And omental thickening. So we had a long conversation with her and her family prior to surgery about the probable terminal nature of her ovarian cancer, etc.etc. but decided to do a palliative debulking. I was SO nervous to be scrubbed in on my very first case ever! The gyn-onc fellow, who was very cool, decided to let me open (!!) and I was first assist for most of the case. When we opened, this cascade of ascites and pus came out....turns out the lady had a huge intra-abdominal abscess that had gotten walled off by omentum. We washed her out, put in drains, etc. and then scrubbed out to go tell her family that she was going to be just fine. They were crying so much that I started to tear up too. The best part of the whole thing was talking to her in the recovery room - the look on her face was one I'll remember forever. I think this was the point at which I decided to be a surgeon.

2. Happened just a couple weeks ago - I was on an anesthesia rotation, hanging around the trauma center, bored silly. A senior surgery resident came walking by, said "Come scrub in on this hernia" and then whispered "don't tell anybody, but I'll let you do the case." I nearly tripped over my own shoes running to the OR, and sure enough, he let me do the whole case, skin to skin, on my own. I had this big goofy grin under my mask the entire time. It was great!

:clap: if you write a novel I will read it

Reactions: 1 user