US News Best Medical Schools 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Believe it or not, most students went because they liked the school and liked the financial aspect of attending. No one thinks in terms of USNWR other than people (with bones to pick) on SDN.
Good to know NYU kids are not as delusional as Dean Riviera or whatever his name is lol.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is gaming the system. This is fact. Everyone knows this. If you honestly believe NYU is at the same caliber as Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, and JHU, I want what you're smoking (along with smoking cessation counseling once I get addicted)
Or even at the same caliber of UCLA or Pritzker. Not long ago, the school was ranked along with Dartmouth and BU. Go figure.

NYU is gaming the system. This is fact. Everyone knows this. If you honestly believe NYU is at the same caliber as Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, and JHU, I want what you're smoking (along with smoking cessation counseling once I get addicted)
You realize that the rankings don't really matter right? NYU's reputation will be its reputation no matter if it's #2 or #30. The only thing anybody should care about is a school's true reputation, which does not fluctuate as widely as the USNWR annual rankings.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I supose program directors must be delusional too because they rank NYU equal to Harvard, Stanford, and Hopkns, but Columbia is beneath UCLA!!!!

Okay. Now I feel as if your bias is oozing through your take.
Sorry but the Dean of admissions was talking down all the top places during my cycle… pretty trashy move, acting like a nouveau riche t10 wannabe.

Believe it or not, most students went because they liked the school and liked the financial aspect of attending. No one thinks in terms of USNWR other than people (with bones to pick) on SDN.
Most people went for the financial aspect*; if you know anything about NYU and its administration you'd have no desire to go besides now to grit your teeth and take the sweet sweet $$$ which would be stupid not to take

Most people went for the financial aspect*; if you know anything about NYU and its administration you'd have no desire to go besides now to grit your teeth and take the sweet sweet $$$ which would be stupid not to take
what is there to know that is so horrible?

I supose program directors must be delusional too because they rank NYU equal to Harvard, Stanford, and Hopkns, but Columbia is beneath UCLA!!!!
I noticed this as well. Can those talking down on nyu explain why this is true if nyu is "gaming the system and really isnt a T10 school"?

Please explain, I see that you have posted on many other schools, do you have personal information or is it what you read on the internet?

Potentially hot take: I honestly think we're placing FAR too much weight on peer and PD ratings as the "true" quality assessment of a program.

If you look at the methodology, only 28% of peer recipients responded to the survey. Anybody with a background in research knows a response rate that low means the data are basically useless.

Even worse, the PD scores are averaged over 3 years. And take a look at the methodology, they don't even share the response rate 😳. Combining ratings over years plus not sharing the response rate strongly suggests to me that the response rate is EXTREMELY low.

This is important because it means that the data points are highly skewed towards the small percentage of peers and PDs who responded and simply cannot be taken as a proxy for how all (or even most) peers/PDs view these schools (regarding research or primary care).

Would be interested to hear thoughts from other people who have had a chance to look at the methodology.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is there to know that is so horrible?

Please explain, I see that you have posted on many other schools, do you have personal information or is it what you read on the internet?
I was lucky enough to get accepted into a school that offered an equivalence to NYU and so did not have to attend.

I went to NYU undergrad. Worked at NYU Langone. Interacted closely with their med school faculty. As a student you do not come first. They care only about their image and their output. I'm not sure if it's changed but the school environment was also hostile. I worked with a many med students there and perhaps because of the selection solely based off metrics it selects for Type A folks who feel like they're directly out to sabotage you. This may have shifted since going free but that's just conjecture. This has been corroborated by friends currently attending.

I have personal accounts feel free to PM do not want to completely out myself here.

I was lucky enough to get accepted into a school that offered an equivalence to NYU and so did not have to attend.

I went to NYU undergrad. Worked at NYU Langone. Interacted closely with their med school faculty. As a student you do not come first. They care only about their image and their output. I'm not sure if it's changed but the school environment was also hostile. I worked with a many med students there and perhaps because of the selection solely based off metrics it selects for Type A folks who feel like they're directly out to sabotage you. This may have shifted since going free but that's just conjecture. This has been corroborated by friends currently attending.

I have personal accounts feel free to PM do not want to completely out myself here.
To be fair, how much have you actually interacted "closely" with the med faculty to say that " as a student you do not come first" Your comment about that they only care about image and output, while I'm not convinced you know whether that is true or not, but I will say, find a school that does not care about image and output.

"worked at NYU Langone"...did you see things connected to the med school during that time that would help form your opinion?

That's the problem with these forums, people can come on here and with no real knowledge, say things that either are not true, or regurgitate what a small sample of people they may have come across said or worse yet, read on a forum.

You say corroborated by "friends", does that mean 2 friends or 22, one single year or over time, it's hard to put things in context without more information, right? If you presented a study that had data( Surveys I guess) from multiple classes over the years, then I would have no problem agreeing with you. I just think the data set is too small to cast your dispersions about a school, NYU or any other school.

At the end of the day, I'm not here trying to defend a particular school, I'm just saying that people trash schools on SDN without a shred of actual objective proof and it is wrong. I get there are tools out there, but really? Proof in point, you can see some of the posts here that clearly show the poster's strong dislike for the school and was outed on prior misinformation in trying to say that a school was afraid to post the names of residents, need I say more?

That describes a lot actually
As in what, his opinion, because that is what it is at this point.

Last edited:
To be fair, how much have you actually interacted "closely" with the med faculty to say that " as a student you do not come first" Your comment about that they only care about image and output, while I know you have no idea whether that is true, but I will say, find a school that does not care about image and output.
I could definitely find a few students from basically any school who would absolutely say the same thing about their school lol

To be fair, how much have you actually interacted "closely" with the med faculty to say that " as a student you do not come first" Your comment about that they only care about image and output, while I know you have no idea whether that is true, but I will say, find a school that does not care about image and output.

That's the problem with these forums, people can come on here and with no real knowledge, say things that either are not true, or regurgitate what a small sample of people they may have come across or worse yet, read on a forum.

You say corroborated by "friends", does that mean 2 friends or 22, it's hard to put things in context without more information, right? If you presented a study that had data from multiple classes over the years, than I would have no problem with agreeing with you. I just think the data set is too small to cast your dispersions about a school, NYU or any other school.

It explains why NYU is so obsessed with rankings and I’m confident that played a role in deciding to go full tuition few years ago.

• Okay...

That's the problem with these forums, people can come on here and with no real knowledge, say things that either are not true, or regurgitate what a small sample of people they may have come across or worse yet, read on a forum.

You say corroborated by "friends", does that mean 2 friends or 22, it's hard to put things in context without more information, right? If you presented a study that had data from multiple classes over the years, than I would have no problem with agreeing with you. I just think the data set is too small to cast your dispersions about a school, NYU or any other school.

You just go on and on don't you? I literally said feel free to PM me.

Weren't you the same person who agreed "med students shouldn't use social media it burns them" and now you want me to give every detail of my personal life? I have a long history with NYU.

It explains why NYU is so obsessed with rankings and I’m confident that played a role in deciding to go full tuition few years ago.
NYU historically has inferiority complexes. Randomly checking @vomitcom posting history, they asked the SDN forum to validate that NYU indeed is a top school…why would a current student do that? Perhaps they sense that the school is not what it purports to be? Now that’s what I gathered during my application cycle and withdrew from it pretty quickly. Unfortunately lol, I am attending a lesser school now.

I could definitely find a few students from basically any school who would absolutely say the same thing about their school lol
This is fair, and I'm not saying NYU is the only school out there but some schools take that a step further and have students who are miserable and NYU is one of them

Every year this happens, I get reminded of when I was a child trying to rank "the best dinosaurs" for my top ten spots. T-rex was always #1, although if Godzilla were real, that would have been #1. Stegosaurus and Triceratops were always underrated ranking around 5-6. And being a herbivore always knocks them down a couple of ranks.

As people read the above, I hope people realize that these rankings are even more ridiculous than my dinosaur rankings
which dinosaurs matched DOPEN?

You just go on and on don't you? I literally said feel free to PM me.

Weren't you the same person who agreed "med students shouldn't use social media it burns them" and now you want me to give every detail of my personal life? I have a long history with NYU.
Ok, if you say so. If you have that much history and can support your comments, than so be it. BTW, I did not say that, but I will say, you are here casting opinions, so it is fair game to address what you have said.

NYU historically has inferiority complexes. Randomly checking @vomitcom posting history, they asked the SDN forum to validate that NYU indeed is a top school…why would a current student do that? Perhaps they sense that the school is not what it purports to be? Now that’s what I gathered during my application cycle and withdrew from it pretty quickly. Unfortunately lol, I am attending a lesser school now.
Yeah i feel like top powerhouses don’t really have to advertise that they’re top. It’s just known. Stanford might have fallen down the rankings but they’ll still get plenty of superstars willing to go into debt

NYU had to advertise full tuition and campaign a lot for similar advantage.

• Haha
These sorts of threads about "prestige" always bring out heated opinions, but let's please stay away from personal attacks.

Reactions: 3 users
This is fair, and I'm not saying NYU is the only school out there but some schools take that a step further and have students who are miserable and NYU is one of them
Anecdotally, I've also heard this about them from people I know there, and was advised not to apply there. But I've honestly heard similar things about some of the other East Coast elites. I'm not saying things should be ignored, but I question how different it is to other schools...especially those of similar "tier".

To be fair, how much have you actually interacted "closely" with the med faculty to say that " as a student you do not come first" Your comment about that they only care about image and output, while I'm not convinced you know whether that is true or not, but I will say, find a school that does not care about image and output.

"worked at NYU Langone"...did you see things connected to the med school during that time that would help form your opinion?

That's the problem with these forums, people can come on here and with no real knowledge, say things that either are not true, or regurgitate what a small sample of people they may have come across said or worse yet, read on a forum.

You say corroborated by "friends", does that mean 2 friends or 22, one single year or over time, it's hard to put things in context without more information, right? If you presented a study that had data( Surveys I guess) from multiple classes over the years, then I would have no problem agreeing with you. I just think the data set is too small to cast your dispersions about a school, NYU or any other school.

At the end of the day, I'm not here trying to defend a particular school, I'm just saying that people trash schools on SDN without a shred of actual objective proof and it is wrong. I get there are tools out there, but really? Proof in point, you can see some of the posts here that clearly show the poster's strong dislike for the school and was outed on prior misinformation in trying to say that a school was afraid to post the names of residents, need I say more?

For someone who doesn't go to NYU, you sure love NYU.

• Haha
Yeah i feel like top powerhouses don’t really have to advertise that they’re top. It’s just known. Stanford might have fallen down the rankings but they’ll still get plenty of superstars willing to go into debt

NYU had to advertise full tuition and campaign a lot for similar advantage.

Didn't NYU post up billboards all throughout NY mentioning their new ranking? Also, I heard something about NYU receiving a massive amount of aid (taking more than they even needed) following Hurricane Sandy that was able to help them significantly and artificially boost their ranking.

Last edited:
Didn't NYU post up billboards all through NY mentioning their new ranking? Also, I heard something about NYU receiving a massive amount of aid following Hurricane Sandy that was able to help them significantly and artificially boost their ranking.
Yup, while parts of Queens were left to rot until real estate investors bought up the land and made it "worth" putting money into :))

Dudes and dudettes, just had a massive NYU ad on my instagram that clearly had 1 purpose: advertising their #2 ranking. I lol'ed.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
As a student at NYU, I feel as if the faculty I have interacted with (research, clinical, etc) have been very happy to work with me and have put me first. Maybe some other students have had worse experiences, but my main complaints with the school have absolutely nothing to do with the medical school faculty who work closely with students -- its with the higher-ups (and they're really, really minimal), but I feel as if that's the case at pretty much any school. I mainly feel compelled to push back on the CW that NYU is a uniquely toxic place, and there are prolific users on this site who bash the school incessantly for some unknown reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As a student at NYU, I feel as if the faculty I have interacted with (research, clinical, etc) have been very happy to work with me and have put me first. Maybe some other students have had worse experiences, but my main complaints with the school have absolutely nothing to do with the medical school faculty who work closely with students -- its with the higher-ups (and they're really, really minimal), but I feel as if that's the case at pretty much any school. I mainly feel compelled to push back on the CW that NYU is a uniquely toxic place, and there are prolific users on this site who bash the school incessantly for some unknown reason.
But I mean, can you disagree with the observation that NYU really cares about its image that they’re actively promoting their USNWR ranking? That’s kind of a problem here

Am a current NYU med student. Am far from miserable. Most people here really like the city and program (and don't spend time on SDN pushing back). We have free tuition (now debt free if there is any financial need), chill preclinicals, the majority of grades on every clerkship are honors, and people match where they want in their desired specialty. I’ve had a way better time here than my friends at a lot of other top schools (which is anecdotal of course; I think most people generally like the schools they attend). No medical student in real life cares about US News rankings. People should go to school where they think the fit (city, family, $$$, residency strengths, etc.) is best.

Reactions: 3 users
But I mean, can you disagree with the observation that NYU really cares about its image that they’re actively promoting their USNWR ranking? That’s kind of a problem here
No one cares tbh

Yeah, they seem to. The students really don't. Also, if you're the admin why *wouldn't* you tout it? Its a PR boon.
The issue is the admin is really invested in trying to boost their rankings as much as possible even by exploiting/rigging the already flawed methodology to desperately show that they’re a top school. That’s a major reason why people here are criticizing the school

• Dislike
Am a current NYU med student. Am far from miserable. Most people here really like the city and program (and don't spend time on SDN pushing back). We have free tuition (now debt free if there is any financial need), chill preclinicals, the majority of grades on every clerkship are honors, and people match where they want in their desired specialty. I’ve had a way better time here than my friends at a lot of other top schools (which is anecdotal of course; I think most people generally like the schools they attend). No medical student in real life cares about US News rankings. People should go to school where they think the fit (city, family, $$$, residency strengths, etc.) is best.
On that topic, why does NYU have graded clinicals and AOA?

• Haha
On that topic, why does NYU have graded clinicals and AOA?
I mean, you could ask that question of most other top schools, the vast majority of which also have graded clinicals, and many have AOA. That combination is hardly unique to NYU. It wouldn’t surprise me if NYU and many other schools didn’t have AOA in 3 years.

Regardless, my point is that, in my experience, the culture of the medical school is definitely not miserable, faculty/mentorship/research opportunities are outstanding, and most students have no second thoughts about attending, despite a lot of secondhand toxicity in some of these threads. I’m graduating with almost no debt, will start residency in a competitive field at my top choice program, and have had about as much fun as possible in the city given the pandemic during my time here. I’m sure it’s not the best choice for everyone, but it definitely was for my personal circumstances. It would be a shame for someone to miss a similar experience because of the online discourse over rankings that no reasonable human cares about in real life.

The poster tried to combine research and primary care rankings which is kinda wack, the research pd rankings alone make more sense in aligning with traditional prestige. But as someone else mentioned the response rate is abysmal and we have no idea who's even responding.

They lost they’re main teaching hospital…that’s a pretty big blow.
This year Drexel opened the brand new West Reading campus and is affiliated with Tower Health/Reading Hospital. Wouldn’t be surprised if ratings jumped in the coming years.

I would argue that, if anything US News puts out matters, the residency director ratings are much more important for residency matching. Not the rankings listed in this thread.

For example, Stanford may have dropped here (which by itself should make you question them), I highly doubt their residency director scores changed at all.

do you realize that for more years than not, Stanford medical school was outside the top ten on USNWR?

do you realize that for more years than not, Stanford medical school was outside the top ten on USNWR?

I both didn't realize and did not ever care and neither do residency directors. It's Stanford.

If everyone is seemingly agreeing on the lack of validity to this list, why are people arguing for or against specific USNWR rankings? Things change…. Including programs, faculty, facilities, students, as well as the ranking criteria which easily y explains movement, and not necessarily overall nor program-specific validity.

If everyone is seemingly agreeing on the lack of validity to this list, why are people arguing for or against specific USNWR rankings? Things change…. Including programs, faculty, facilities, students, as well as the ranking criteria which easily y explains movement, and not necessarily overall nor program-specific validity.
Because even with the methodology being garbage, schools are pathologically obsessed with rigging the rankings at the detriment of important things. USNWR should be simply eliminated altogether

Sorry but the Dean of admissions was talking down all the top places during my cycle… pretty trashy move, acting like a nouveau riche t10 wannabe.
But at what point does the school start to change or evolve with the caliber of the students attending? I’d wager that a huge majority of all non-need based financial aid acceptances choose NYU over other acceptances to T5/10 schools. Indicative of change on top of an already strong program.

Last edited:
Well, if it is a fact, and everybody knows it, then I was wrong to think otherwise

NYU should not be mentioned in the same breath as Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, and JHU.
The students that go there should be ashamed of themselves. In fact they are by association inferior in all respects to the students that attend the true elite medical schools.
Everyone knows that REAL PRESTIGE does not come free

April fools

Reactions: 2 users
Well, if it is a fact, and everybody knows it, then I was wrong to think otherwise

NYU should not be mentioned in the same breath as Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, and JHU.
The students that go there should be ashamed of themselves. In fact they are by association inferior in all respects to the students that attend the true elite medical schools.
Everyone knows that REAL PRESTIGE does not come free

April fools
Why are you, as a grown adult in a career, spending your time on here jumping to NYU's defense every time someone makes a comment about them. It is so embarrassing and I PROMISE you they don't need your help