Your Best/Highest Point in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WellWornLad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dunno, just figured there should be some yang with the yin.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough one. There's a bunch more of these moments, but in the top would be: watching a mom cry when we handed her the baby, still attached via umbilical cord; holding one of my peds patients (3 m/o girl); a few days on general surgery when I walked out of the hospital with a big grin thinking "Man, this was a really fun day."

I scored 3 free lunches in the same week around winter time last year. One of them was indian food!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Trauma call...ten or twelve level ones between midnight and 6 am...got to do a ton of procedures...helped the ortho resident reduce a fracture and a dislocated shoulder...feeling the "pop" when it went back into place...then jumping to the next bed over and stitching up a giant lac...then going to the OR with the next level one...top it all off, at 6am both the chief and junior resident tell me they really want me to stay at my home program for residency, think I'll be a great fit.

The end of third year.

I'm sure the really good ones will come during my 3rd and 4th years, but up until now it would have to be dominating my (comprehensive) Pathology final, that gave me a great boost going into studying for Step 1

thanks for starting this thread, WellWornLad

I was a little :scared: reading the low point thread... this made me feel better

I've been waiting for someone to say that their best day was the first day of orientation and it's been downhill since then.

1st year -the last day of anatomy, god that was awful.
2nd year - getting my step score back and completely exceeding my expectations
3rd year - most of my pt stories are sad ones unfortunately. Getting my surgery shelf score back?
4th year - hopefully match day

I thought anatomy was great. If you've got a good group it can be a real bonding experience. And nothing says "I'm in med school" like taking the top of some guy's skull off.

Members don't see this ad :)
a dad hugging me, crying, after the sr resident and i saved his wife and baby via stat c-section. one of very few moments i thought i maybe could do ob-gyn.

I thought anatomy was great. If you've got a good group it can be a real bonding experience. And nothing says "I'm in med school" like taking the top of some guy's skull off.

I love working with my hands but man, I just find the anatomy lab a waste of time for me. Everything is a shade of yellow, white or gray. Nothing says med school to me like sitting at my favorite diner and watching videos of dissections and looking at photos while eating my breakfast and not thinking twice about how it might bother other people.

I've got two that stick out to me:

1. Holding the doppler when a woman who thought she could never get pregnant heard her baby's heartbeat for the first time.

2. Explaining the difference betwee IgG and IgM to a patient's parents. It was the first time I felt like I knew something worthwhile, that my knowledge was appreciated rather than looked down upon as being insufficient...in essence it was the first time I felt like more than just a med student.

probably hanging out with a resident at inpatient-psych and talking to/presenting some patients. either that or the feeling you get looking for the first time at the scores from an exam you rocked (the opposite of course is one of the worst points lol). Those are medical-related..

the best moments from MS1 were definitely outside med school. this summer is amazing. :)

2. Explaining the difference betwee IgG and IgM to a patient's parents. It was the first time I felt like I knew something worthwhile, that my knowledge was appreciated rather than looked down upon as being insufficient...in essence it was the first time I felt like more than just a med student.
Yeah, I had a patient who developed a pretty good post-op ileus, and I spent a while explaining things to her, and she just kept asking more questions, but I knew the answers. Feels good, man.

It was always so difficult to convey really bad news about a diagnosis. I remember during my pediatric rotation I had to tell a family that their little child had a brain tumor. Prognosis was very grim.

It was always so difficult to convey really bad news about a diagnosis. I remember during my pediatric rotation I had to tell a family that their little child had a brain tumor. Prognosis was very grim.
:eek: I'd hate to hear what your worst/lowest point in med school was!

when the hospital got a new caterer that started serving chocolate cake everyday :thumbup:

Getting my MS2 grades back was nice. We don't get ANY grades until the last test and so seeing 8 months of work paid off is nice. I also loved the day in anatomy when I TORE UP (in a good way, like perfectly) dissected the pelvic arteries and in front of the top professor named all 15 correctly. The look on his face... priceless! It's nice to be right when you're so, so often wrong.

Seeing the 5 yo leukemic patient s/p bone marrow transplant whom I had taken care of for a month on my peds rotation get better and go home.

Best moment of med school you say?

The moment I found out my step 1 score and realized that the world is my oyster.

Other not too shabby moments include...finishing first year, finishing third year, the high after coming out of a successful AAA repair, and watching a 2 month old baby with a grim prognosis smile back at me.

I scored 3 free lunches in the same week around winter time last year. One of them was indian food!

SO this is it huh? :wow:

Talk about livin the dream..... :rofl:

As much as I love the program at my other medical school, Mine is transferring out to a med school located in a city that I want to live in (and practice in).

Seeing the look of joy in a patients face as I spent some time to talk to him instead of ignoring him everyone else had done. He didn't anything more than banter from us.