Your advice - MSIII & Psych Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsans23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first third year rotation is psych and I'm so excited to start. I would love to do well and impress...And would love to hear anyones advice/tips/book recommendations/etc!

Thanks SO much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a med student and I'm sure that others here with more experience will have more to offer, but here's my advice-

If you're interested in psych, let your attendings/ psych nurses, etc. know that you're interested in psychiatry. From my experiences, it's not all that common to have students who are actually considering psychiatry as a career. For the most part, they really loved having a student who wanted to be a psychiatrist. Even if you're not planning to become a psychiatrist, your enthusiam and interest will be appreciated by the people you are working with:).

I read First Aid for Psychiatry before starting the rotation(it's a really quick read).
I carried Kaplan and Sadock around in my pocket for the rotations / read it during the rotation and found it to be very helpful.

Good luck on your rotation, hope you really enjoy it and learn a lot.:)

Last edited: