You won't believe this one......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You must understand, that many eyes observe the lieutenant.
He is a disposable good in such a big apparatus as the US armed forces. You must admit that it' better if somebody does not give information or impressions as if the person would deceive, lead you astray, dupe and swindle you. Can he afford, himself, to express his disappointment?
Some people here are voicing felony, voicing from the safe harbour of anonymity.

It's not imaginable to give a universal answer to your dilemma.
Why?
Mil-med or no mil-med depends from your personality.
I have few very good friends that are high positioned military officers; they are not docs, they are military. They are in their element in spite of all the problems, bureaucracy and blind politics; their personality expresses in what they do.

A second thing to consider is your expectation; what do you strive for in the civilian medical system. In medicine is as in the professional sports business; there are many players, but the expectations orient themselves after that bare handful in the spotlight. The reality is quite different; hard work, dedication, obstacles, fear of law suits, astronomic insurances for malpractice, and the money is usually a leftover (for what is invested and at stake).

A mistake is to think, that after 5 years of absence from civil system, you can just walk back in and claim a place, or that somebody will care for you possible sacrifices. People are too busy with getting their own and in place to guard it.
However, that is not to say, that you would not profit from the mil-med; it again depends from your Medical School, scores you have and the financials. Some only passable proved as great once at work, since practical and got the experience which opened doors that would otherwise remained closed.

Talk with your professors at the medical school, they know you and will offer the best advice. Considering that they are experienced, that is the most valuable advice that is possible to get.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"When i talk to a civilian physician, i usually hear; What, you get paid to do that? Where do I sign up?"

Lmao.

You must understand, that many eyes observe the lieutenant.
He is a disposable good in such a big apparatus as the US armed forces. You must admit that it’ better if somebody does not give information or impressions as if the person would deceive, lead you astray, dupe and swindle you. Can he afford, himself, to express his disappointment?
Some people here are voicing felony, voicing from the safe harbour of anonymity.

It’s not imaginable to give a universal answer to your dilemma.
Why?
Mil-med or no mil-med depends from your personality.
I have few very good friends that are high positioned military officers; they are not docs, they are military. They are in their element in spite of all the problems, bureaucracy and blind politics; their personality expresses in what they do.

A second thing to consider is your expectation; what do you strive for in the civilian medical system. In medicine is as in the professional sports business; there are many players, but the expectations orient themselves after that bare handful in the spotlight. The reality is quite different; hard work, dedication, obstacles, fear of law suits, astronomic insurances for malpractice, and the money is usually a leftover (for what is invested and at stake).

A mistake is to think, that after 5 years of absence from civil system, you can just walk back in and claim a place, or that somebody will care for you possible sacrifices. People are too busy with getting their own and in place to guard it.
However, that is not to say, that you would not profit from the mil-med; it again depends from your Medical School, scores you have and the financials. Some only passable proved as great once at work, since practical and got the experience which opened doors that would otherwise remained closed.

Talk with your professors at the medical school, they know you and will offer the best advice. Considering that they are experienced, that is the most valuable advice that is possible to get.

Thanks for the opinion. Just curious...is English a second language for you? I only ask b/c the flow and structure of your statements are quite odd. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When you use a certain language, you must think in that language.

I'm on The Continent at the moment, I use other languages here and a small post on an English speaking forum is not enough to "shift the brain"; especially after being away for few years from The States.

Try to remember how it feels, when you try to handwrite after a summer vacation; the hand is stiff and the writing awkward.

Now I´m off to bed; further questions tomorrow (Paris time).

If I understand you correctly, you are saying the some of the posts are not true. Can you be more specific? There is some venting here but I've found a lot of credible discussion about legitimate issues.

What are your friends doing to address the very valid points that are on this site? Why don't you invite them here to engage in the discussion?

The reality is quite different; hard work, dedication, obstacles, fear of law suits, astronomic insurances for malpractice, and the money is usually a leftover (for what is invested and at stake).

I work harder in civilian medicine but I'm more satisfied. I have control over what I do. The medical system seems to be less politically driven. I feel more appreciated at work and when I tell the senior leadership/management they listen to what I have to say even if they can't fix things 100%.

A mistake is to think, that after 5 years of absence from civil system, you can just walk back in and claim a place, or that somebody will care for you possible sacrifices.

My experience has been that military veteran physicians are highly sought after in the community. They are decent leaders, competent in their fields and can connect with patients. I don't think there will be any trouble with someone wanting to leave military medicine.

Welcome to the forum and the merry band of military medicine brotherhood.

just a quick one: (on the fly)

Military bases budget is shrinking this year from 20-40%; the individual budgets per basis are not yet completed, to be able to name exact figures.

Lt. Gen. Rick Lynch:
"As the country faces some stiff economic challenges, we are forced to reduce funding and exact a greater level of stewardship over our resources." "Performance levels for some installation services will be notably less than we've had in recent years and will remain at that level for the foreseeable future."

Soldiers? reduced continuing education, recreational facilities, child programs,...
If we take into account just those additional 30.000 soldiers that are being deployed to Afghanistan and the ever "better service" for returning numbers of legless, armless, with permanent brain injuries (due to explosives),...