You only get one chance to make a first impression....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ded2Med010101

This is NOT my real name
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been a lurker for longer than I care to admit, now I'm going to be one of those annoying pre-meds who asks yet another version of the "same old same old" question. ;)

First and foremost, like many of us here, I have always wanted to be an MD. Nothing else ever crossed my mind.

I won't get into my "sob story" here as to why I am not a doctor yet (unless anyone cares to ask!), but I do want honest and relevant answers from those in the know. I suppose it's the problem solver in me. I am always seeking solutions, not pitty.

I have completed 1.5 semesters of traditional "pre-med" studies in the form of a Microbiology and Immunology major. I have been actively involved in a wide variety of volunteer work for most of my life, including a position on a national youth advocate team. I would kill to get some time in a research lab, as I already have a few research ideas brewing....a girl can dream, can't she? ;)

Previously, I just assumed that I'd do a BSc and then apply to med school. However, now due to various reasons, I am kind of stuck, so to speak. I need to be able to pay my way through school.

Personally, I never considered an allied health degree (or gasp, working as a nurse) in my pursuit for med school. It never crossed my mind. In fact, I assumed that these applicants had strikes against them and were not *typically* good candidates for med school for various reasons (educational background, trained in other models of care, etc.).

However, I am at a crossroads. *IF* I decide to get certified as an LPN for example simply to make a better wage in order to pay for med school (LPNs in my province make $25 per hour), will that "look bad" when I apply to med school? Must you include these courses on your application? To be perfectly honest (I'm assuming anyone who really loves being a nurse will not be reading this forum) I find the nursing model of care/nursing theory "silly", and I feel that nursing courses and concepts don't challenge me enough intellectually. I feel alienated by them and bored. I prefer the medical model of care. I don't mean to sound elitest, I'm just being honest. Plus, the role of a nurse does not appeal to me at all. Most (but not all) nurses prefer people to science, and the job and science behind it comes second. But for myself, and most pre med students, it's the science that comes first. I want to be challenged. *That* is my gift and how I want to help. As such, I just won't feel happy wiping someone's bottom with a smile. :scared:

But I have received a $5000 scholarship for a PN program, and it shouldn't take me long to finish the course since I don't need to take any of the pre-reqs.

I have also been considering a joint program in which I will graduate with a BSc (my choice of major) and a 3 diploma in Respiratory Therapy. In this case, I will be able to work for awhile as an RT in order to save up for med school. Plus, the job looks interesting and challenging. In Canada, RTs have more education than most RTs in the US, and they generally are well paid and respected. I think I would be happy working as a RT for awhile.

Or I could work as an LPN and finish up my original Micro degree and then apply to med school.

As you can see, I'm not sure what to do. If I take either of these paths, will I risk my chances of getting accepted? I can't afford to go back to university right now, but I can't afford to jeopardize med school either. :xf:

Any advice from AdComms or those who know please? I want real and honest advice. If I take an LPN program, will med schools look down on me? I feel that they will and I can't explain exactly why. It's like it's an additional factor in addition to the usual reasons given. If I take a combined tech and BSc degree, will med schools think that I am not serious about medicine (I am)?

Thanks for any and all helpful advice.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no shame in needing to work in order to finance your way through undergrad. And it sounds like the RT job is more what you would be interested in. I don't think there's any stigma attached to being a nurse - you would get a lot of patient contact and info about the hospital setting, however, you don't sound like you would like it.

However, most students I know who worked their way through undergrad (in Canada) were able to do so by living cheaply (i.e., basement suite), working hard in the summer (i.e., treeplanting) and working minimally during the school year. They may also have taken some modest loans. Are these options not available to you?

I don't think adcoms really care about your path through school so long as you have excellent grades, a decent MCAT and interview well. Don't jeopardize your grades and all will be well.

sell a kidney...that will show the adcom's your committment

Members don't see this ad :)
Selling body parts is NOT an option. :laugh: Anyway, no, the "traditional" means are not available to me. I don't qualify for student aid, and since I am married, I need a "real" stable job with a decent income. I won't go into details, but let's just say that the bottom line is that I need some sort of "career" before my career, if that makes sense. Otherwise I have no idea how I can return to school.

I just wanted to run my ideas by others first. I have heard some "propaganda" about applying to med school with other credentials, and I wanted to know if it was actually true or not. Better to be safe than sorry. It would be great if anyone on the adcomm could add their 2 cents as well.

Good luck to all of you other pre-meds out there!

I hope I'm not too late to weigh in on your conundrum. I would strongly recommend a job as a research technician or some other job in academic medicine. Have you considered embryology? There are plenty of position for B.S. and B.S. aspiring individuals in IVF/Fertility practices, Oral Maxillofacial Surgery practices, Immunology and E.N.T. practices and others. I suggest writing to practices in your area requesting semi-permanent employment. Include your resume, offer to come to work without pay until properly trained, and follow every letter/email with a phone call within 48 hours. In addition, if ever given an opportunity to interview follow the interview with a hand-written thank you card.

Good luck with everything. I live by an old Sarah Silverman saying:

"When god gives you AIDS--and god does give you AIDS--make LemonAIDS."

First off, I'll be honest. My brain is squishy from hours of gross studying, so if I'm missing something you said or that's obvious, forgive me.

Anyway, I vote for working as a nurse. Get your undergrad nursing degree, and take the med school pre-reqs while you're at it. You'll instantly have a job out of school and will be making quite a nice salary. Bank that for a few years, and you should probably be okay. The clinical experience of being a nurse (read: "real" clinical experience - not this patient-ferrying volunteer crap that most people have to do) will also help a ton. Hopefully that's useful info!