You might be a fourth year if

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCuteMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your idea of "coming to work prepared" is having a pen.

Members don't see this ad.

2) Staying until 4PM is considered a late day.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're considering working at Starbucks for extra cash between rotations (to travel to Europe).

-You have M1s staring at you in awe as you're talking about rotations and applications.
-You're idea of a great elective is doing as little as possible during the shortest amount of time.
-You forget how to use a stethoscope
-Your neck stops hurting from not carrying so much stuff in your white coat.

You realize you still have your pajama top on with your dress pants as you are about to walk out the door. You think, "Eh, who cares!" and go to work in (1/2) your pajamas.

You realize you still have your pajama top on with your dress pants as you are about to walk out the door. You think, "Eh, who cares!" and go to work in (1/2) your pajamas.

Gutsy. Not sure that would fly where I work.

Although I look forward to testing this out next month on geriatrics

Gutsy. Not sure that would fly where I work.

Although I look forward to testing this out next month on geriatrics

To be fair, it looked like a long-sleeve t-shirt with buttons down the front. I've seen similar (semi-dressy) shirts like it at Ann Taylor.

-Your neck stops hurting from not carrying so much stuff in your white coat.

Yes! My chronic neck problems are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!! wooo.

- You only remember the day of the week because of the TV schedule
- 2 weeks of Step 2 CK studying is enough to burn you out (guilty)
- You're planning on buying concert tickets even though you'll be doing your SICU sub-i (guilty again)

- 2 weeks of Step 2 CK studying is enough to burn you out (guilty)

Oh man, I am guilty of this too, only one week to go!

Does drinking on random weeknights qualify me as a fourth year?

Members don't see this ad :)
You check your e-mail 6 times/day just to see if you got an interview invite. (This is a new diagnosis in the DSM-IV!):laugh:

You check your e-mail 6 times/day just to see if you got an interview invite. (This is a new diagnosis in the DSM-IV!):laugh:

That's just borderline. I regularly check 6 times/hour. My goal is to get up to 6 times/30 minutes. Then I'll be ready for my SSRI.

You have at least two, three-day weekends in an elective......lol.:thumbup::thumbup:

That is so true for me right now....Monday ??? Heck no..It's "Prison Break" day
Other days of the week
House
24/Lost
Office
Friday (nothing good on)
SNL
Family Guy

:)

Lol, exactly --- I wouldn't have known that yesterday was Wednesday if it weren't for America's Next Top Model.:D

you purchased internet for your phone just so you can know right when interviews come in over email...

when you sleep in till noon or later, find out you're late for your rotation, but go back to sleep anyway, not giving a sh.t.

you haven't cracked a book since june and are doing usmleworld while watching tv

You're becoming extremely familiar with southwest.com or whatever your preferred airline is.

A group of M1's ask you to give an impromptu talk on some thing they just had lecture on that morning and you surprise yourself at how much it sounds like you know what you're talking about...and you spend half the time saying "you'll need to recognize this on the wards, but probably not for your exam next week". (in my case it was a discussion on murmurs).

you purchased internet for your phone just so you can know right when interviews come in over email...

guilty

i'm also sending my emails as text messages to my phone

hey, txts are free, might as well get double notice

guilty

i'm also sending my emails as text messages to my phone

hey, txts are free, might as well get double notice

I didn't want to deal with internet + normal phone or forwarding emails to my pager, so I bought a blackberry specifically for this year, and I just get notified anytime I get an email.

(And when I'm bored, I can go online.)

If you reschedule a January elective because you hear through the grapevine that it involves 12 hour days.....you might be a 4th year (guilty as charged).

You are totally dominating your fantasy football league after being dead last the past 3 seasons, because now you actually have time to pay attention to what's going on.

You just signed up for jiu jitsu classes and leave the hospital early to attend them. :D

You get an offer to help with a research project in exchange for a "really good evaluation and letter of recommendation" and politely turn down the offer.

You blatantly show up late and take a midday siesta to take care of interview scheduling.

-When you realize that you are going to miss all but 2 days of a two week ER elective due to interviews.
-When drinking excessive amounts of beer has turned from "because we just finished a pathology test" to "because it's Tuesday and $1 pint night".
-When your attending fills out your evaluation form on the first day of the rotation, then tells you to "just show up whenever".
-When your BlackBerry buzzes in your pocket and you are disappointed that it's an email from...well, ANYWHERE but a program offering you an interview invite.

-When you realize that you are going to miss all but 2 days of a two week ER elective due to interviews.
-When drinking excessive amounts of beer has turned from "because we just finished a pathology test" to "because it's Tuesday and $1 pint night".
-When your attending fills out your evaluation form on the first day of the rotation, then tells you to "just show up whenever".
-When your BlackBerry buzzes in your pocket and you are disappointed that it's an email from...well, ANYWHERE but a program offering you an interview invite.

you take a "personal day" because your wife has off for the Jewish holiday and you dont feel like getting up early alone.

I check my blackberry that often at least to make sure I didn't miss it vibrating

haha... ERAS and interview invites is how I convinced my wife to let me get a blackberry!!

when SDN is no longer the most visited website on ur internet browser, now that you are constantly re-checking your status on ADTS and MyEras.

you take a "personal day" because your wife has off for the Jewish holiday and you dont feel like getting up early alone.
not once in this two week stretch will my wife be getting up even within an hour of when I get up. :( she's only working three days this week. I could use some zzzzzz's

Glad to hear I'm not the only one getting carpal tunnel from excessively typing in my e-mail login

4th year is about comfortably saying "I don't give a s#!t" when I don't have to!!!

You can't believe they are actually making you come in on Columbus Day or any other important day like "Love Your Pet Day".:laugh:

You can't believe they are actually making you come in on Columbus Day or any other important day like "Love Your Pet Day".:laugh:

And you get Yom Kippur off even though you aren't Jewish. :D

Dupree:I'm a people person, very personable. I absolutely insist on enjoying life. Not so task-oriented. Not a work horse. If you're looking for a Clydesdale I'm probably not your man. Like I don't live to work, it's more the other way around. I work to live. Incidentally, what's your policy on Columbus Day?
Interviewer: We work.
Dupree: Really? The guy discovered the new world. I'm afraid to even ask about Victory Over Japan Day.

When you have a regressive, kindergarten mid-day nap schedule

-when you don't know where your pager is

-when you delete epocrates from the palm to make room for missed episodes of sex and the city

When you turned in your pager after third year and use only a cell phone on rotations. If they can't get a hold of you, oh well...:laugh:

when you go on this site less and less....

it's funny... when I look back on my SDN career, I spent a lot of time on here as a pre-med, but once I started med school it fell off steadily during my first year to almost non-existent during my 2nd and 3rd year, and just over the past few months, as I finished up my 3rd year cores, and started into my 4th year rotations, I have started getting back into it a lot more. so I'd say, for me personally it's more and more...

You're becoming extremely familiar with southwest.com or whatever your preferred airline is.
ABSOLUTELY! Actively seeking out an FP rotation in Hawaii during Feb. hahahaha. Unwinding before the Match never hurt anyone :D

Also: planning a rotation vacation with your classmate friends that have the same elective month that you do.

You lost your white coats.... all 3 of them...

I dont know what I'm going to do tomorrow - (I've been on anesthes all this past month).