What rotations should I do in fourth year? (Interested in IM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

As mentioned, how should I structure my fourth year if I am interested in IM? My school only requires a 1 FM and 1 IM Sub-I rotation in 4th year, with the rest electives. Should I do all my rotations in IM? I was thinking of doing some interesting stuff along side IM like gas, EM, etc as well. Would this look bad?

For ex: I am currently booked at 1 site for Cardio and Infectious Disease rotations. Is this a bad idea?

Sorry. Im quite lost with this process. DO student and the freedom is somewhat daunting. Never thought I would say that.

Members don't see this ad.

Cardiology
ICU
Pulm
Renal

Get exposure at least to cards and ICU

Reactions: 4 users
No it won’t look bad. Do stuff to round out your education. You will be exposed to all the subspecialities in your residency. Sure you will have a leg up during your internship (maybe), but I’d do something outside of IM.

You won’t learn a whole lot in Anesthesia, but I hope you will learn that as an internist you have no business assign ASA classification. (I work with a hospitalist who does this for patient he either admits or consults on).

I would do neuro, just to get your neuro exams down pat. I may do PMNR, so you know what the heck they do when you order an EMG. Maybe psych, if you’re adventurous. You’d also be surprised, how many crazies you have to deal with on a daily basis when you do IM, especially outpatient population. Radiology may not be a bad rotation, just to learn when to order what test, and/or how to read a chest x-ray properly. Lastly, EM? Just to see what non-selected patient population looks like.

As you can also see, all these are sort of related to IM, but not IM nor surgery. Have you done them? Are you “sure” you want to do IM, for sure? Some people don’t really know what these fields are until they do an elective in them.... you maybe surprised to find out you like something else?

Good luck op!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re worried about what programs think, don’t. They will only have your grades through August, so do your FM and IM early, do an IM sub-specialty and then just pick whatever you want. Residency is hard enough, no need to do anything difficult after Thanksgiving.

As you can also see, all these are sort of related to IM, but not IM nor surgery. Have you done them? Are you “sure” you want to do IM, for sure? Some people don’t really know what these fields are until they do an elective in them.... you maybe surprised to find out you like something else?

Good luck op!

This brings up a great point. as OMS-III I've done cardio (elective), FM, IM, Surg, OB, with Peds, EM and Psych left. The only thing I could see myself doing is cardio and IM. I cannot see myself doing Peds or Psych. But maybe EM.

Looks like Ill do Pulm, ICU, Neuro, Cardio, Renal. Maybe another ICU if im feeling dangerous. Then hopefully some easier rotations in radiology down near the end.

I did a GI elective and really enjoyed it!

Reactions: 1 user
This brings up a great point. as OMS-III I've done cardio (elective), FM, IM, Surg, OB, with Peds, EM and Psych left. The only thing I could see myself doing is cardio and IM. I cannot see myself doing Peds or Psych. But maybe EM.

Looks like Ill do Pulm, ICU, Neuro, Cardio, Renal. Maybe another ICU if im feeling dangerous. Then hopefully some easier rotations in radiology down near the end.

You're making me feel bad about my schedule. Are you really doing all of those electives?

You're making me feel bad about my schedule. Are you really doing all of those electives?

Considering I have only 1 rotation scheduled in FM so far, with 2 VSAS applications in, probably not. I don’t even know what “easy” rotations are. How do I find these haha.

Considering I have only 1 rotation scheduled in FM so far, with 2 VSAS applications in, probably not. I don’t even know what “easy” rotations are. How do I find these haha.

Like you said, radiology seems chill. Get information about chill rotations from 4th years or alumni at your school through fb or whatever channel you use. I would love to do more electives, but realistically look like I can only do 3-4. Check your school too if you have home elective. My last ever rotation for 4th year is an anatomy TA position through my school which I should get haha. If not, I'll seek a relative chill rotation during that month also.

Like you said, radiology seems chill. Get information about chill rotations from 4th years or alumni at your school through fb or whatever channel you use. I would love to do more electives, but realistically look like I can only do 3-4. Check your school too if you have home elective. My last ever rotation for 4th year is an anatomy TA position through my school which I should get haha. If not, I'll seek a relative chill rotation during that month also.
At my school I literally need to do FM and an IM-SubI. The rest is my time. Thank you for your advice!!

I also should have noted my third year rotations are pretty chill besides IM and OB. Probably not getting the “best” clinical exposure I could in third year.

Any sub specialties that interest you in IM? Do that. If not, do whats required, get some random sub specialty rotations that will benefit you in some way when you're an intern (time in ICU can look good if you get a good letter out of it), and then plan the back half to be as low stress as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Caps for emphasis only:)
TAKE Rotations IN AREAS OF HIGH PATIENT LOAD. Mayo was BORING, unless you want to stand knee deep behind other Residents or are a research Fellow. No one wanted the med student OR Resident when they flew in for the Attending! GO WHERE THEY NEED YOU. Detroit rocked, inner city areas, the Bronx...poor areas with high IM patient load, etc. If you want hands on knowledge--ortho, trauma, surgical, ER even IM as there are so many patients in ALL departments!

Ivy LeagueResidencies look GOOD ON THE WALL but your training sucks as far as patient load etc and EXPERIENCE training you to be a good doc!
I was blacklisted because I LEFT Mayo Clinic because I never got my hands dirty!!! The program I transferred INTO did NOT take Mayo and I had to repeat that year because I had too small a patient load, too few procedures and not enough experience on call to match their Residents!
LIVE and LEARN from me!
rotate as an MS3-4 thru programs with huge patient loads so you GET those hands dirty! Look up your 'special interests' in medicine, see where large populations live that have those maladies...and train in those areas!
You will be hands (pardone';) ahead of other medical students that way.

Last edited: