You can do this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

picklelittle

Reaction score
I am non-traditional student who just got accepted into medical school. I am here to remind the non-traditional students know that they can do this especially for the ones who are 30 and above. I'll be 35 going on 36 this.

My outcome: I had two DO interviews, one MD, and one IMG. I got waitlisted at KCUCOM. I was accepted at Rowan and University of Queensland-Ochsner. I was was rejected from Howard University. I will be attending Rowan.

I have no real advice but here are the things I think helped me:

Finally beating the MCAT. I only got a 504 but that was coming was from two 493s. You need to figure out how to do well on the test before taking it. Try different methods for retaining the information. If you can take it only once, do your best to that. I truly multiple attempts count against you.

Raising your GPA. My undergraduate GPA was below a 3.0. If you can get it up by doing a DIY post baccalaureate program or even SMP with a linkage. I had did a formal post baccalaureate program and masters program because I needed both. I wish I hadn't done the formal post baccalaureate program to save on loans but oh well. If you do well in those courses it proves to school that you can do it and I think it helps some school give you a chance. Side note, I also got my MPH for myself because I wasn't sure if I was going to ever get into medical school, therefore, I was going to do public health work.

Network. I feel like going to open houses help. It shows schools that you are interested in them. I think it helped me to get my interview for KCUCOM. You get to meet the stuff and sometimes they take notice of you.

Do well on interviews. Use SDN to practice questions. Do mock interviews. Watch YouTube videos. I got accepted into the schools where my interviews went well. I fumbled on my interview questions at KCUCOM which I think led to my waitlist. I bombed my Howard University which I think led to my rejection.

Lastly, take the time to examine you full application and work on your weaknesses. The people on these board and even advisors can only tell you so much, but only you know the whole truth. Take the time to figure it out and don't rush the process. It will happen eventually.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations on your acceptance! Can you share more about your master's program? I was not sure if you had done a SPM and a MPH on a side. Again, congratulations and thank you for returning to encourage others in your shoes.

BP

Thank you. I did a Master of Biomedical Sciences at AZCOM. I did the two year program. I guess can be considered a SMP as most of the students but not all got into AZCOM. They definitely offered most people an interview. I did my MPH afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind if I asked when you had taken the MCAT? Also, were you working while pursuing your MBS degree? I am working full time and wanting to pursue a similar route to go to a medical school.

BP

Do you mind if I asked when you had taken the MCAT? Also, were you working while pursuing your MBS degree? I am working full time and wanting to pursue a similar route to go to a medical school.

BP
The last time I took the MCAT was September 2021. No unfortunately, it was hard to work a regular job while pursuing the MBS degree. I did doordash to help when needed.

This is very encouraging for non-trad who is barely starting premed journey at 30+! Thanks for sharing!! Can I ask who you asked for guidance when you needed help? (I've been reading lot of reddit, SDN, Books and listening to podcasts) Thanks in advance :)

This is very encouraging for non-trad who is barely starting premed journey at 30+! Thanks for sharing!! Can I ask who you asked for guidance when you needed help? (I've been reading lot of reddit, SDN, Books and listening to podcasts) Thanks in advance :)
I had an advisor from undergrad and masters program who I had gotten advice from. I did read a lot of SDN and a few books. However, my best friend is a doctor. One friend is a third year at a DO school. Another friend started the medical school journey before I did. There is also a website where you can talk to an advisor if you don't have one.

Reactions: 1 users
I had an advisor from undergrad and masters program who I had gotten advice from. I did read a lot of SDN and a few books. However, my best friend is a doctor. One friend is a third year at a DO school. Another friend started the medical school journey before I did. There is also a website where you can talk to an advisor if you don't have one.
Thank you!

What were some of the questions you struggled with at Howard?

When did you submit your primaries and secondaries?
I submitted my primary in July. I got all my secondaries in by Labor Day unless they sent it after like Meharry. The sooner things are in, I think the better. But make sure all your essays are solid. It helps if they are good.

Just came to say I was about to post something similar.

You all CAN do this!

I started here on these forums with a goal of applying to medical school. These forums and mentors got me into medical school and residency. I'm now a fully fledged (and boarded) attending at a community hospital in the south. I started this in my mid-30s with >4 kids at home while I was in school. I am now finishing a disaster medicine fellowship that has taken me around the globe to present at multiple conferences this year. Life stays interesting.

Don't give up.
Chunk the work into bite sized pieces.
Don't be too hard on yourself.
Take time with your family.
Stay humble and take advice.
Learn from everyone.

Stay hungry my friends.

Reactions: 2 users