How fast can you do the prereqs for medical school while working fulltime?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacVA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and just wanted to know how fast you could possibly finish all of your prereqs while working full time. I plan on starting Chem and Physics in the spring of 2009 at a 4 year university.

A little bit about myself. I am 24 but about to be 25. Did my undergrad in business/economics and finished with a 3.7 GPA.

Would it be possible to apply for the Class of 2014 or am I being too optimistic with my possible start date?

Members don't see this ad.

That's funny, you've got my undergrad major & gpa.. Main thought on this is that it's a "marathon not a race". GPA is the most important thing here, you need to be earning As in almost every, if not every, science class. I'd suggest taking 1 or maybe 2 classes at a time depending on how demanding your job is.

I had maybe 2 science classes before starting post-bacc work, and have completed 15 classes, totaling 44 hours. This was most of the required pre-req courses plus I bombed the bio MCAT section 1st time, and only after taking cell & molecular bio + anatomy & physiology got this section score up to an 11, over 30 overall MCAT score.

So if you shoot for, say 6 class hours per sememster, that's 18 hours including summers per year, which would be around 2-3 years to comlete all prereqs, putting the application year around 2010/2011 for classes starting around 2011/2012.

If you were to quit work now, enroll in classes fulltime starting this semester (fall 08), take ochem as I did over 10 weeks total for ochem 1, 2 + labs, you could apply 2009 for 2010 start (class of 2014). But that's really pushing it. Typically schools require that you've finished gen chem 1 & 2 before sitting for ochem, if you take ochem 1 & 2 next summer, study for the mcat for a month (minumum) after that, your mcat scores would not be available until around october, which is around 2 months later than optimal for that application cycle. + don't forget clinical volunteer work (required by almost every school although not explicitly stated) Happy studying!

Hello All,
I am new to this forum and just wanted to know how fast you could possibly finish all of your prereqs while working full time. I plan on starting Chem and Physics in the spring of 2009 at a 4 year university.

Ok, I had to post here, because this was the exact same attitude I had when I started my post-bacc classes (how fast I can do this??), and it was DISASTROUS. I tried to cram WAY too much into 2.5 years so I could apply last year, and I ended up with some not-so-great grades to show for it . . . and zero interviews last application cycle.

I absolutely second nontrdgsbuiucmd in saying TAKE IT SLOW! If you're working full time, I would start out with one class and some shadowing and volunteering (try to get a volunteering gig that you can do for 1 year+ - med schools like to see that kind of commitment). If you're planning on going to school full-time, you could beef up the class schedule a bit, but don't take on more than you can safely handle (it's pretty imperative that you get all A's). If you do well your first semester, maybe you can think of adding an extra class the next semester.

I'd recommend talking to a pre-med advisor of some sort. Were you planning on enrolling in a formal post-bacc program? I had the option to do so, didn't do it, and regretted it later. In my opinion, it would have been worth it for the advising and the committee recommendation letter I could have gotten. if you're not enrolling in a post-bacc program, there may still be someone you could talk to. OR there may be someone you could talk to at your undergrad university (if they are not one in the same). OR perhaps alumni services could hook you up with someone who's been down the same path or some such thing . . . I would look into it.

I understand how you're feeling: behind! At least, that's how I felt when I started down this post-bacc road. But to stay sane through this process, you can't think that way. It's a cliche, but you have to embrace the journey rather than the destination and be ok with being where you are in life (think of it as taking a turn down a different path NOT as starting over). I know how it is - when you've figured out what you want to do with your life, you want to start that thing right away. But know that this time while you're doing your pre-reqs is going to go by quicker than you realize . . . and you need to do it right or there's no point in doing it at all (unless you're an absolute masochist!)

:luck::luck: and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I had to post here, because this was the exact same attitude I had when I started my post-bacc classes (how fast I can do this??), and it was DISASTROUS.

Strongly agree with this. This is not a race. More people don't get into med school because they rush things than any other reason. Your goal is to get A's, even if that means you have to take things slower than you'd like. At the end of the line someone who finishes his prereqs with mostly A's always wins out over someone who finishes his prereqs faster but with less impressive grades. For this reason a lot of people ultimately quit or cut back their jobs so they can focus adequate time on the courses. But if that is not financially feasible, you have no choice but slow and steady.

Umm... I started my post-bacc in January 2007 and I needed to take almost all my pre-meds (except physics 1 and 2, because I took those in my initial undergrad)

When this semester Is over, I'll be done with every pre-med requirement, those include:
-Gen Chem I
-Gen Chem I lab
-Gen Chem II
-Gen Chem II lab
-Orgo I
-Orgo II
-Orgo lab
-Biology I (lab included in the course)
-Biology II (lab included in the course)

I took a few other courses that are recommended like intro to sociology 101, Human anatomy, etc

The key to finishing up is to ACTUALLY start and not worry about how high the hill is .... I remember when I started my pre-med process, I was soooooo Intimidated cause I had SOOO many classes to take and still work fulltime job, I figured I was never gonna finish.....

as far as my post-bacc (the classes) I just mentioned, I am holding a Straight 4.0 in all of them (excep the ones I am taking right now, I woun't know till december :) ), and the only reason I am doing so well is because I took my classes at a slow pase and worked my ass off to achieve high marks

Hello All,

A little bit about myself. I am 24 but about to be 25. Did my undergrad in business/economics and finished with a 3.7 GPA.

Would it be possible to apply for the Class of 2014 or am I being too optimistic with my possible start date?

As every person has said, you can do this as fast as you can do well. I would add, you have one shot at doing this well(no grade less than B+). Trying to race through with poor or mediocre results can add years of "damage control" to your plan. Taking your time and making sure that you can do well, can keep you on track. While you did well in your business courses, you may find that the science courses take more time and a different type of learning style. If you adjust and find that you can go faster, then speed up but let your performance be your guideline. If it takes you a couple of years longer but you are successful, then those years were worth it.

Have you checked to see if Chem 1 and Physics 1 are offered in the spring at your university? I know some schools start the sequence in the spring, fall, and summer, and others only start it in the fall and summer depending on the size of the university. Just wanted to remind you to check.

I think it's feasible to do 2 classes + 2 labs while working full-time, though whether or not that allows you to get your best grades possible is questionable. Over the summer you would do 1 class w/ lab 1st summer session and 1 class w/ lab 2nd summer session. Whether the summer schedule is feasible will depend on the flexibility of your work schedule and the school offerings.

It might be possible to stick to this schedule, but the utmost important is getting top grades for your effort. As others have reiterated, it's a marathon. Better to start out getting all A's and then add a class later on than to start out guns blazing and shoot yourself in the foot accidentally.

I think it's feasible to do 2 classes + 2 labs while working full-time, though whether or not that allows you to get your best grades possible is questionable.

Depends on the job. Something 9-5 where you can study during the work day, then sure, it may be possible, but perhaps not wise from a GPA standpoint. But if you are working 50 hours/week or more and it's real work, no way.

Depends on the job. Something 9-5 where you can study during the work day, then sure, it may be possible, but perhaps not wise from a GPA standpoint. But if you are working 50 hours/week or more and it's real work, no way.
Agree. I don't think most people could take two classes, two labs, and work full time while pulling straight As. You're talking about six hours of class per week + 6-7 hours of lab (depending on how long your organic lab is), plus 12-15 hours of outside prep per week *minimum*. That's getting close to being a full time job time-commitment in and of itself. If the OP also has friends and family and would like an outside life of any type and a full night's sleep most nights, s/he should stick with a more manageable schedule.

OP, assuming you work a normal 40 hour week, I think it is reasonable to start with one class and one lab in January plus volunteer/shadow for an hour or two per week. That will come to 15-20 hours per week spent on coursework, studying, and shadowing/volunteering, which you can probably manage. If you find that you are still having plenty of time to twiddle your thumbs while making straight As, sure, double up the following semester.

I'd also like to caution you about taking your pre-reqs over the summer. Those classes are often less rigorous and cover less material, and adcoms know this. You also run a major risk of not keeping up and not learning the material well enough to prepare you for the MCAT. If you want to take a summer class, take something like English, other humanities, or calculus (required or recommended by many schools anyway). Best of luck to you. :)

Sorry, I should have clarified. I only work 40 hrs/wk and it's not "real" work. ;)

While I can't study during work hours, I am the first to admit that it's not a demanding 50+ hours of work a week like some jobs other nontrads have. And like I said, you won't get as good of grades this way (also speaking from experience).

I'd also like to caution you about taking your pre-reqs over the summer. Those classes are often less rigorous and cover less material, and adcoms know this. You also run a major risk of not keeping up and not learning the material well enough to prepare you for the MCAT. If you want to take a summer class, take something like English, other humanities, or calculus (required or recommended by many schools anyway). Best of luck to you. :)

Actually the summer courses can cut both ways. While there are some gut programs, as you describe, there are definitely summer programs where you live and breathe courses all day, every day, and basically compress an entire one semester course plus labs into 6-7 weeks with nothing cut out (You get through the same text in its entirety, take the same tests). They are far more rigorous than the normal term, and lots of people do poorly or cannot keep up. To my knowledge, adcoms regard these the same as any other prereq, and folks who take them do fine in admissions. But there is no way to do these and work at all since they run full time all day, and you have a lot of homework/studying to do each night.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I basically work a 40 hour workweek from 730am-4pm. I think I am going to try and swing 2 classes in the spring and see what happens. Worse comes to worse I could drop one of the classes eh?

Any suggestions on how to go about shadowing a physican? How about volunteer work?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Thank you everyone for your advice. I basically work a 40 hour workweek from 730am-4pm. I think I am going to try and swing 2 classes in the spring and see what happens. Worse comes to worse I could drop one of the classes eh?

I would start with one and add another later, rather than try two at once. Because even though you can always drop one, you aren't going to give the other enough attention at the time you are carrying two. Seriously, it's more important to get A's then to get them done quickly. A pair of B's, or a B and a W would be a bad result here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I checked with my university and they do not offer physics I, Bio I, Chem I in the spring. I guess I will have to wait until next year to start my prereqs.

Should I chat with a premed advisor at this school to see if there is anything else I can do to take some sort of classes in the spring?

Perhaps I should quit my job and just be a fulltime student? UVA has an excellent postbacc program for premeds to fullfill all of the requirements in 15 months.

Ok so I checked with my university and they do not offer physics I, Bio I, Chem I in the spring. I guess I will have to wait until next year to start my prereqs.

Should I chat with a premed advisor at this school to see if there is anything else I can do to take some sort of classes in the spring?

Yeah, I was also wondering if that was going to be a problem for you. Definitely talk to an advisor to see what else you might be able to take (talk to one anyway! they're there for a reason) There may be an intro calc class you could take, or perhaps statistics (lots of schools like to see that you've taken stats . . . but maybe you already have with your bus. degree?) Also, is it too late to register for a class this semester? My school just started this past week . . .

Perhaps I should quit my job and just be a fulltime student? UVA has an excellent postbacc program for premeds to fullfill all of the requirements in 15 months.

This is exactly what I wish I had done. At the time, I thought I was being so smart and saving so much money because I had a full-time job at a univ. where the benefits included up to 7 credit hours of tuition a sem (as long as you're full-time) . . . but in the end, I wish I had just taken out the loans and been a full-time student. It would have made life a lot easier, and I would have been a lot more focused on school. The problem is that working full time, going to class at night, doing orgo lab on Saturday (yeah, that was a be-otch!), volunteering, attempting to have a life, etc. wears on you, and when you get home from work on maybe the one night you don't have class the LAST thing you want to do is study . . . I was ALWAYS tired, and it started to affect my mood, performance at work, etc.

You might think about going full-time and finding a part-time job, perhaps as a research assistant, ER scribe, clinical research patient coordinator, etc. (I bet there are a bunch of these types of oppotunities at UVa - look on their jobs page). Another thought is to look up how to get certified as an EMT, phlebotomist, etc., do that certification now (presuming it's possible with your work schedule), quit your job, and then get a part time job doing that while you take your classes. Any of these options would give you some additional clinical experience and help pay some bills while you do your pre-reqs. There's all kinds of threads on here about jobs that give you clinical experience, etc. - search around for some additional info, and maybe talk to an advisor about these things as well.

:luck::luck:

But there is no way to do these and work at all since they run full time all day, and you have a lot of homework/studying to do each night.
Exactly. You can't take a class like this if you have a full time job like the OP does. :)

Where in Virginia do you live? And how much downtime do you have at work?

Volunteer now. Hell, it's September, and you have a couple evenings or days a week.

In the spring, find a Chemistry I course. Drive there. Keep your job.

If not, quit your job. Actually, quit your job anyway. Enroll as a second-degree student for financial aid reasons even though you won't be completing one. Do it at a state school to save money. Most schools offer Gen. Chem I and Gen. Chem II in subsequent summer sessions. Take them or just Chem II if you found a spring course.

Fall:
Bio I
Phys I
Orgo I

Spring:
Bio II
Phys II
Orgo II

Volunteer during this time. Study. Get As. Summer MCAT. Applications in August 2010.

I live right near Old Dominion and I forgot there are a few other public schools nearby...

Thanks to everyone for their help! I think for right now I am going to take CHEM in the spring - see how I like it and then if all goes well I will enter school fulltime.

Just an update: I am meeting with a premed advisor and planning a course to begin this long and arduous journey to medical school.

One more question for the forum:

1. Would it be best to move back to KY where I am from and give my state residency in VA given that I could attend school in KY for free? Only problem with this is that Kentucky has only two state medical schools whereas Virginia has three, one of which is extremely biased towards Hampton Roads residents (EVMS).

Would it be best to move back to KY where I am from and give my state residency in VA given that I could attend school in KY for free? Only problem with this is that Kentucky has only two state medical schools whereas Virginia has three, one of which is extremely biased towards Hampton Roads residents (EVMS).

Attend school for free in KY?? :confused: Do you mean med school or your pre-req classes?

If not, quit your job. Actually, quit your job anyway. Enroll as a second-degree student for financial aid reasons even though you won't be completing one. Do it at a state school to save money. Most schools offer Gen. Chem I and Gen. Chem II in subsequent summer sessions. Take them or just Chem II if you found a spring course.

unfortunately, some of us don't have that option... such as myself, you see I took out the maximum amount you can take as an undergrad student (I think its 46,000 total), ....so later on after mid 20s, I decide to go for medicine, I was not able to borrow anything for additional undergrad studies.... therefor I was FORCED to keep my fulltime job while pushing through my pre-meds (as a post-bacc).... the only way I was able to borrow more was if I enrolled into any masters program and that doesn't help me by much since I needed undergrad GPA damage control :(

I took the plunge this past week and enrolled in my premedical classes. Currently, I am taking Chemistry I at a 4 year university and taking Biology at a community college. I have been told that taking classes at a CC will not affect my admission chances provided I don't take a majority of classes there. Could anyone confirm this statement? Or I could apply as a 2nd degree candidate student and have the CC credits transfer... Thanks again for everyones' help with my endeavors... :thumbup:

It's not really possible to say if CC courses "will not affect admission chances". I'd say if you apply to 15 schools, at least one of the schools will look more negatively on the courses if they're taken at a CC versus a 4 year school; when I spoke to adcoms (as a reapplicant due to an MCAT issue), a few asked if my school (regional commuter school) was a 4 year accredited college.

My suggestion is, to the extent possible, contact the schools that you're thinking of & ask them. Even still, it's tough to gauge how necessary it is to go the 4 year school route; the admissions directors could change in another year or two by the time you apply. GPA seems to be the main thing for all schools, however; my choice was the cheap 4 year school versus the more expensive, more highly rated 4 year school.

Hi guys,
I am new to this thread and have a question. I did my Masters in Computer Engineering and planning on going to Med school, Is it a compulsion that I have to enroll in the Post bac program to complete the pre-reqs or can I just enroll as a guest student and complete the courses. And also can I take the courses from two different universities, which doesn't break my schedule for the for.

Hi Everyone,
I have a question regarding retaking some premed requirements at a community college. I graduated from UCLA 12 years ago with a GPA of 3.1 in Bio. From what I know most of these classes need to be repeated before I can apply to med schools. Besides, I also want to improve my GPA. Does anyone know what classes should be repeated and whether it's detrimental to my chances of getting into med schools if I retake these classes at a community college? It's just a lot cheaper and the scheduling is more flexible. I work full-time, married and have 2 kids. This assumes I will do well on the MCAT (32+). I am aware that I ideally should take these classes at a university level but I just wonder if anyone has done some of their prereqs at a CC. Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
... if anyone has done some of their prereqs at a CC...

I'm also a non-trad and completed the following pre-req's at a community college:

Core Biology Sequence
General Chemistry Sequence

The following pre-req's at a 4-yr:

Physics
Organic Chemistry
Biochem

Granted, it was because there was not a 4-yr university in my area that offered the courses. As far as I understand it, go with the 4-yr route if you can help it, even if means not sleep and making up hours on the weekend. If you absolutely cannot avoid going to CC, make sure that you get an A in all of the classes. I think it will be important to get one steller recommendation from an established professor at the CC who has experience at a university who can substantiate/equate your performance to a university level. (I was fortunate enough in that my gen-chem professor was also the o-chem professor at the university satellite campus and I rocked all the classes I took from her).

Some people will tell you that it doesn't matter, and others will say that it does. I think that it certainly does, and you should approach it with the intent of putting yourself in the best possible position for an acceptance. If there is any doubt, error on the side of safety. Given the option of "better" and "ok", I'd choose the former.

Good luck.

CC Courses: IMHO they're fine as long as you have a decent academic record, or other credentials like an awesome MCAT score to show that you are capable of the work.

To the OP: VA is preparing to open a 4th medschool (at Tech) -that may help you, I don't know what the timeline is, or if they are sticking to it, a bit of googling would probably tease that out for you.

I finished the bulk of my prereqs in 12 months at GMU. I took orgo lecture over the summer and lab during the academic year, which served me well, b/c the lab helped keep everything fresh in my mind for MCAT. I had 2 courses going in (chem I and bio I) from UG so I was able to get all of that done while working between 25 and 35 hours/week and volunteering, but I was super busy, especially spring semester while prepping for MCAT.

Remember the MOST important thing to get out of the prereqs is GPA. The second most important is preparation for MCAT.

I don't think it could be done in less than a year because of sequence.

Hello,

I just wanted to give everyone an update and ask for some more advice.
(By the way, in hindsight, it was hilarious to think I could have applied to medical school last summer :laugh:).

So far I have completed the following prereqs with their respective grades:

Physics I w/lab - A
Physics II w/lab - A
Chem I w/lab - A
Chem II w/lab - A
Ochem I - A-
Ochem II - (Pending)
Bio I - A

In the fall, I will be taking Ochem I lab and Genetics and in the spring I will be taking Ochem II lab.

So here are my questions:

1. I have been volunteering at Hospice for about 15 months now and yet I only have 40 hours of volunteer work (pathetic I know). Should I try and get a different volunteering gig? It just seems like I will get a patient and then two visits later the inevitable occurs and it takes another month to get a patient...

2. Do I need to take Bio II and the lab or will genetics count as my second biology?

3. Would you recommend any additional courses during this year and/or my glide year?

4. Anything else I can do to strengthen my application?
I work full time (50 hours a week) so it is hard for me to do much else. During college i was involved in plenty of EC's, so I am hoping this counts for something.

Thanks again for all the help! I would be clueless without this site (and of course my gf :rolleyes:).

You should take as many as you can handle, but for most people, that is about 1 or 2 classes. I'm working part-time and doing 3 + student government.

See answers below.

1. I have been volunteering at Hospice for about 15 months now and yet I only have 40 hours of volunteer work (pathetic I know). Should I try and get a different volunteering gig? It just seems like I will get a patient and then two visits later the inevitable occurs and it takes another month to get a patient...
1. 40 hrs is pretty bad for 15 months. Doesn't matter what you do, but try to increase it so it at least works out to 2 hrs of volunteering a week. Sounds like you might have to get another gig to accomplish this.

2. Do I need to take Bio II and the lab or will genetics count as my second biology?
2. Depends on school. Most schools require two bio courses with labs. If you have a second bio course with lab it will probably be ok to substitute it for Bio II (check with the school you are interested in). Some school, like my undergrad, had NO Bio II (instead our second semester of Bio was physiology with lab).

3. Would you recommend any additional courses during this year and/or my glide year?
3. If you haven't take biochem... take it!!!

4. Anything else I can do to strengthen my application?
I work full time (50 hours a week) so it is hard for me to do much else. During college i was involved in plenty of EC's, so I am hoping this counts for something.
4. Anything you can add helps. Time constraints will determine this.

Thanks again for all the help! I would be clueless without this site (and of course my gf :rolleyes:).[/QUOTE]

One thing I found as an applicant and then as an interviewer of med students is that it would be really good to show you know what medicine is. You did not mention whether you have physicians in your family (sorry if I missed it). I do not, so I had to SHOW admissions committees that I knew what I was getting into when i said I wanted to be a physician. That meant shadowing. I worked full time, went to grad school part time, finished/re-took pre-reqs part time, and managed to shadow both an internist and a surgeon over the course of a year. That also meant I got very good letters from them, which went a long way with getting in, I believe. So, it will boost your app, get you potentially great letters, and give you something to talk about during interviews. Hospice is great, and holds a special place in my heart, but it is not medicine. Consider trying to find ways to shadow... 4 hrs every two weeks or 2 hrs per week for a few months should do it. You want it to be substantial for many reasons, and a great letter of recommendation is a biggie.

Wow, reading this post is very helpful to me. I was just speaking with my husband before I read it about my post-bac class schedule. I got a B+ and A- for Bio 102 and lab last semester :( and I'm currently at a B for both Chem 101 and Lab 6 week summer class...I thought it may be easier but it covers ALOT. Not to mention I commute well over 1hr 20 and work part-time. Can you guys suggest if I should try for Chem 102 the second half of summer and do physics and orgo in fall? I feel like a bit of a, well, loser, that I can't seem to get A's. I had an A in Bio 101 in my undergrad along with A's in math classes like pre-calc (about 3.87gpa and 3.7sgpa from undergrad). I'm 28 now and the school I got to is challenging and affiliated with a med school but great post-bac program. Any advice? Should I not do the chem 2 this summer and wait? I was even thinking about dropping down to 1 phys class for fall just to make sure I get A's...I don't want a downward trend and a bunch of B's...any advice? :confused:

I'm 28 now and the school I got to is challenging and affiliated with a med school but great post-bac program. Any advice? Should I not do the chem 2 this summer and wait? I was even thinking about dropping down to 1 phys class for fall just to make sure I get A's...I don't want a downward trend and a bunch of B's...any advice? :confused:

I think many of the non-trads will agree, especially after you get to med school, and even MORE so once you get to residency, that it is definitely a marathon. I did have a serious sense of urgency, thinking, wow, I am already OLD... I will be REALLY old if I don't get through this quickly. Stressed myself out, rushed things, thought I could ride in on my extensive biomedical research background, and made an unsuccessful first application to med schools partly because I cut corners and partly because I just didn't have any advice to go on and applied to only 6 regional schools. Second time around I slowly retook courses that were too old, took others I did not have, continued to work 50-60 hrs/week, and got good advice on how to make a well-rounded application that would actually get the attention of adcoms. It took three years to do everything and then I reapplied that third year, success at all but one of the places where I interviewed. It was like night and day.

Grades, sad to say, are extremely important. Everyone has a 3.5+ GPA, and these days it seems like most applicants have a 3.8+. While you are taking your time to do very well in the pre-reqs, make sure you take advantage of the marathon pace and figure out how to make your application even better.

Good luck to everyone. You can do it, and careful planning is the best way to go for most of us. It worked for me, for sure!:thumbup:

If you are working fulltime, it would be absolutely insane for you to take anymore than one class per semester- This is especially true for someone taking classes at a school that does not inflate grades. Trust me, take one class at a time, do tremendously in every course and you will be golden. Admissions committees will see that you worked fulltime while in school and that you were still able to maintain good grades.

Good Luck!

I completed all the prereqs (and more) in 1 year while working.

I think many of the non-trads will agree, especially after you get to med school, and even MORE so once you get to residency, that it is definitely a marathon. I did have a serious sense of urgency, thinking, wow, I am already OLD... I will be REALLY old if I don't get through this quickly. Stressed myself out, rushed things, thought I could ride in on my extensive biomedical research background, and made an unsuccessful first application to med schools partly because I cut corners and partly because I just didn't have any advice to go on and applied to only 6 regional schools. Second time around I slowly retook courses that were too old, took others I did not have, continued to work 50-60 hrs/week, and got good advice on how to make a well-rounded application that would actually get the attention of adcoms. It took three years to do everything and then I reapplied that third year, success at all but one of the places where I interviewed. It was like night and day.

Grades, sad to say, are extremely important. Everyone has a 3.5+ GPA, and these days it seems like most applicants have a 3.8+. While you are taking your time to do very well in the pre-reqs, make sure you take advantage of the marathon pace and figure out how to make your application even better.

Good luck to everyone. You can do it, and careful planning is the best way to go for most of us. It worked for me, for sure!:thumbup:

Thank you for sharing your story. I feel alot better, and I plan to slow down to make sure I pull the grades. I work part-time and I volunteer...so between this and commute to school it is a full time job. My University is not the easiest...but their med school does love to take their own (about 75%) if I can pull the grades and at least 30 mcat. What is another year at 28 to make sure I get in? The babies will have to wait :laugh:...not even sure if my husband and I want one yet! Thanks again!

What is another year at 28 to make sure I get in? The babies will have to wait :laugh:...not even sure if my husband and I want one yet! Thanks again!

Aha! Even more reason to accept the marathon so you don't burn out. You are married... throughout this process (hopefully!) you will be married. That person is along for the ride and you need to maximize the goodness of your time with them.

Perhaps as the earlier post said, you CAN work full time and complete ALL pre-reqs in a year... if you do nothing else and have a full time job and/or college courses that work around each other easily. But, heck, that is about all you will do for that year.:thumbdown:

I'm just very early in my residency, and it will be a long one (surgery). So, between the process of deciding on med school, applying, doing med school, and now residency... I never put career ahead of family when it comes down to it. If you stretch yourself with work and school and really end up losing touch with your S.O., then you could quickly find yourself in conflict and then single... conflict within a marriage makes med school and residency really tough. A wise person I know once told me (many moons ago, when I first decided to look into med school) that there is nothing like med school to create a divorce. Residency, too. The divorce rate among residents and young attendings is pretty sad. And it is really ugly when kids are involved.

:xf: Fortunately I have been spared so far (even through, yes, the rough patches), working on our 11th year, but that may be largely due to knowing each other for over 20 yrs! :xf:

Oh, and I agree completely... what is another year? Nada, in the big picture. Five years... or ten... also not unheard of. Yes, it is weird going to "school" with a bunch of young'ins (who still have keg parties), but the perspective is great.

:idea:
Perhaps the best skills to survive this are multi-tasking and compartmentalization.

Pray, Please kind sir, how did thou doest it?

I took the physics, bio, and inorganics during the fall and spring and took both orgos over the summer. I skipped a lot of lectures. In fact, for orgo I only attended lectures on test days. It got rough sometimes.

I'm signed up for Chem I and Bio I for this coming fall, work full-time, and hadn't thought twice about it until reading this thread. Now I'm scared. Let me boil down all the moving parts to two questions for you guys:

1) I would have 20-25 hours of outside-of-class study time each week. I could up that significantly a few times during the semester but not week in and week out. Is that enough time to ace each class? It doesn't take me especially long to learn things. Given my present company, assume I'm about average in this regard.

2) As a clinical case manager, I work directly with extremely mentally ill people at least 4.55 hours per day and work directly with psychiatrists daily (advising them, getting advice from them, determining treatment plans and diagnoses, often together in the presence of the patient) in every imaginable setting (outpatient, inpatient, court, on the sidewalk). I could already get two rec's from docs I see each week and maybe more if I stick around for a while.

To abbreviate things, let me just say that taking two classes, as I currently plan to do, will strongly motivate me to keep this job whereas only taking one class will probably lead to increased frustration with my long commute and eventually my employment closer to home with similar patient contact but drastically reduced contact with docs.

Is this job the dream pre-med experience I think it is, or am I missing something?

I tried to cut out unnecessary detail to not bore you with my entire life, so just take my word on something if you don't understand why it's necessarily the case.

I took the physics, bio, and inorganics during the fall and spring and took both orgos over the summer. I skipped a lot of lectures. In fact, for orgo I only attended lectures on test days. It got rough sometimes.

Thats interesting. I know I cannot skip any lectures, especially over the summer (2 if we must before F). Not to mention we have daily quizzes, 2 exams, and 1 60% final for a 6 week class :scared:

I'm signed up for Chem I and Bio I for this coming fall, work full-time, and hadn't thought twice about it until reading this thread. Now I'm scared. Let me boil down all the moving parts to two questions for you guys:

1) I would have 20-25 hours of outside-of-class study time each week. I could up that significantly a few times during the semester but not week in and week out. Is that enough time to ace each class? It doesn't take me especially long to learn things. Given my present company, assume I'm about average in this regard.

2) As a clinical case manager, I work directly with extremely mentally ill people at least 4.55 hours per day and work directly with psychiatrists daily (advising them, getting advice from them, determining treatment plans and diagnoses, often together in the presence of the patient) in every imaginable setting (outpatient, inpatient, court, on the sidewalk). I could already get two rec's from docs I see each week and maybe more if I stick around for a while.

To abbreviate things, let me just say that taking two classes, as I currently plan to do, will strongly motivate me to keep this job whereas only taking one class will probably lead to increased frustration with my long commute and eventually my employment closer to home with similar patient contact but drastically reduced contact with docs.

Is this job the dream pre-med experience I think it is, or am I missing something?

I tried to cut out unnecessary detail to not bore you with my entire life, so just take my word on something if you don't understand why it's necessarily the case.

I also have experience working with mentally ill and deaf children, can you cut down hours if you have to? It is great experience but remember to get actual medical/hospital experience as well (just like others have advised on here).

Are you also taking labs (so basically 4 classes)? I know for me personally it was difficult (labs were alot more work than I thought)...I was way more confident going into things...not to mention I am in a post-bac thats with undergrads so classes are 3 times per week, during mornings/day, and they assign so much work because they treat you like a full time student who lives on campus so its hard to balance things especially if you work, volunteer, and commute far (as I have wrote in my previous posts). You can always try to see how it goes for you...just make sure to drop before W on record! (I made that mistake with calculus).

Aha! Even more reason to accept the marathon so you don't burn out. You are married... throughout this process (hopefully!) you will be married. That person is along for the ride and you need to maximize the goodness of your time with them.

Perhaps as the earlier post said, you CAN work full time and complete ALL pre-reqs in a year... if you do nothing else and have a full time job and/or college courses that work around each other easily. But, heck, that is about all you will do for that year.:thumbdown:

I'm just very early in my residency, and it will be a long one (surgery). So, between the process of deciding on med school, applying, doing med school, and now residency... I never put career ahead of family when it comes down to it. If you stretch yourself with work and school and really end up losing touch with your S.O., then you could quickly find yourself in conflict and then single... conflict within a marriage makes med school and residency really tough. A wise person I know once told me (many moons ago, when I first decided to look into med school) that there is nothing like med school to create a divorce. Residency, too. The divorce rate among residents and young attendings is pretty sad. And it is really ugly when kids are involved.

:xf: Fortunately I have been spared so far (even through, yes, the rough patches), working on our 11th year, but that may be largely due to knowing each other for over 20 yrs! :xf:

Oh, and I agree completely... what is another year? Nada, in the big picture. Five years... or ten... also not unheard of. Yes, it is weird going to "school" with a bunch of young'ins (who still have keg parties), but the perspective is great.

:idea:
Perhaps the best skills to survive this are multi-tasking and compartmentalization.

Thank you so much for all your advice. I did discuss with my husband and he does think I am doing the right thing by taking it slow and making sure that I get the grades, I am very lucky he is so supportive of my dream and I hope we will be together as long as you and your SO. I was laughing because my fortune cookie the other day said: "he who hurries cannot walk with dignity", I hope that is true in this case, lol. On this plan I should be starting at 30 and that is not so bad afterall :oops:

remember to get actual medical/hospital experience as well.

I am in hospitals with my job 2-4 times a week. But it's always the psych unit or the state mental hospital. Given then fact that I do want to become a psychiatrist should I still be looking at volunteering at a hospital?