You are crazy to apply to radiology these days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current PGY5 or fellows care to comment on the actual job prospects out there? The ones I have talked to in real life aren't nearly as pessimistic as the posts I read on forums.

There is a posting on auntminnie for a full time radiology job where you have to take equal shifts of 8am-5pm, 5pm-midnight, midnight-8am. And the starting salary is 200k with a max of 250k. Lol. Is that for real? Wtf if so?

Members don't see this ad.

Any current PGY5 or fellows care to comment on the actual job prospects out there? The ones I have talked to in real life aren't nearly as pessimistic as the posts I read on forums.

There is a posting on auntminnie for a full time radiology job where you have to take equal shifts of 8am-5pm, 5pm-midnight, midnight-8am. And the starting salary is 200k with a max of 250k. Lol. Is that for real? Wtf if so?

LMFAO

Finally, someone with a sense of humor. LOL.

Radiology is not going anywhere. It is a centerpiece of medicine, folks.
Yeah and also consider that it takes SO MUCH TIME AND EFFORT to pump out 1 imaging report at 1 specific geographical location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to confirm what Silent Cool has mentioned already.

I am part of an elite team of scientists and computer programmers that has developed an "All in One" imager/diagnostician system that eliminates the need for all radiologic staff. IBM is helping us by using their "Watson" AI program that will select the correct protocol, run the study, and then interpret and create a report within 30 seconds.

We've notified all Radiology residency programs in the country, they will be removing Radiology from the ERAS system and the NRMP match.

I wish you all well in whatever new careers you choose. We are looking for radiologists to proofread our system.

Please, make some robots that will take care of the ICD coding crap.

Sincerely,
brokenjaw

One recent data point is academics in suburuban area at $275k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My older sister just finished an emergency radiology fellowship. Signed her first job at $275k in academics with 5 days a week with 1 of those days for academics/admin. The job is in a large college town of approx. 130k pop.
Is this good or bad?

Is this good or bad?

good question...how many shifts are overnight/evenings? what is the volume? are they reading everything (OB US, msk mri, neuro mri etc)

Not that this is related to the original discussion, but i'm an IMG, applied for 2014 match (not rads), didn't match, soaped into rads and am currently doing surgery prelim... i didn't have the luxury of doing all this rads research before i accepted the spot, because it was either this, or go unmatched and hope for the best after the soap. After my limited research, seems like everyone says job market sucks, and then everyone else says no it doesn't... what i gathered from this: if you like it, do it, the rest will fall into place somehow someway.

i suppose the big question will be: this time next year, will i be regretting my decision?