You and your PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Generic.name

Reaction score
After digging around, I have found that many are / have been very frustrated with the dual degree - especially the PhD half. It seems that it is difficult to utilize it as many had intended. It seems that many drop it altogether and end up MD-ing their career. During training, and while trying to match a residency (I may not be using this lingo properly - please forgive), and even after graduating, I have seen people question the practical value of their PhD at various times on SDN.

BUT - I really want to know from a personal development standpoint. Do you think the PhD training has made you a better person? A worse person?

I haven't been there yet. I don't know what it is like to live a life that has experienced those ~4 years of training. I don't know what it is like to think those thoughts. So I would really like to know how some of you feel after (or during) the experience. Here are a few ways I figure it could be approached.

1) Is there something about experiencing life after years of research that is valuable? Does life feel different? Does the world look different?

2) Assuming the MD and PhD both sharpen your thinking and decision making skills, which one helped more?

3) Do you feel that it is easier to consider the world more fully and have a deeper understanding of everything around you? Is this enjoyable?
(This is rooted in what I heard via a philosophy lecturer. It was suggested that the Simpson's is enjoyable but so is, for example, a very sophisticated musical piece. Arguably, the Simpson's would be enjoyable to a wider range of audience because it plays to a lower common denominator. A sophisticated piano piece would be lost on me and many others because we do not play the piano. But it may still be a higher level of enjoyment if we but only knew the true complexity, talent, and genius of the melody.)

4) Are you capable of generating thoughts that you would otherwise be unable to even consider (Besides your specific research interest. That is a given.)

5) Some say ignorance is bliss. The only ones that could know that are those who are not ignorant. When I learned algebra, I thought it was largely unnecessary and tedious. Now, I would fully regret a life without algebra. Even if not using it for a career, would you regret it if your PhD training was taken from you and replaced with years of [insert whatever]?

6) Would you largely still be the same person today if you had not undergone that experience?

7) Did it help you grow as an individual and caused you to live a more fulfilling life having gone through it?

Or however else you might think to address the question. Ultimately, is it of some significant value to you just by the merits of the experience and the personal growth incurred during the process?

(I should make a special note: when I say "better person" I don't mean more valuable member of society, inherently more important, or whatever than anybody else. I mean, for you, compared against yourself before and after, do you feel like a better person.)

Members don't see this ad.

1. I was always someone who asked a lot of questions and wanted to know the evidence behind things. The PhD just reinforced that for me. Asking direct, detailed questions is valuable in some settings, and frowned upon in others.

2. They're both useful in different settings.

3 and 4. You seem to think that the PhD is going to turn you into an oracle or something.

5. Not really. I'm one of those who feels "uncertain" that they would do the MD/PhD over again knowing what I know now.

6. It's impossible for me to answer that question.

7. I definitely grew as an individual, but as in question #6 if that time had been replaced with something else I would have just grown differently. Has my life been more fulfilling having a PhD? I don't know how to answer that question.

The experience of the MD/PhD program and life as a physician-scientist is often very difficult. Whether it's worth it to do that depends on your personal goals. Doing it just for the experience is a silly reason to do it in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Neuronix! Thanks for all the years worth of thoughts and answers. Your name has been attached to a lot of answers I've needed.
And thank you for the thorough reply. I was only anticipating somebody to answer a couple ways.

3 and 4. You seem to think that the PhD is going to turn you into an oracle or something.

You've never met any professors that portrayed themselves this way? :p
But, I do see your point. However, I feel a little misunderstood. I really like to think. I like to visually play the world out in my head and wonder about all sorts of things. Now, it might be due to starting with very little, but as my education has continued, I have found that it is so much easier to contemplate things. It is easier to see relationships between events, to understand other's perspectives, and to notices details in complex situations. I'd like to continue expanding on this.

Graduate school will supposedly, if nothing else, train one to ask questions and problem solve. I just wonder how much that spills over into one's own personal pondering time. And, I wonder how it stacks against medical school in that regard.
I admit how abstract and undefinable that may be. But, when you want to know something absurd bad enough, ya ask anyway.

1. I was always someone who asked a lot of questions and wanted to know the evidence behind things. The PhD just reinforced that for me. Asking direct, detailed questions is valuable in some settings, and frowned upon in others.

7. I definitely grew as an individual, but as in question #6 if that time had been replaced with something else I would have just grown differently. Has my life been more fulfilling having a PhD? I don't know how to answer that question.

Doing it just for the experience is a silly reason to do it in my opinion.

That last bit is more telling than anything. So, if the career falls apart and crumbles away, there is no consolation that it profited some worthwhile experience or some tool set or some outlook on life? It seems like it has to be worth more in a life than you suggest. I would hope those years of experience would be multiplicative not simply additive. If I had a pretty trophy added to my life, it would be better than not having it... presumably. But a tool that can be used to augment "what you get out of life" seems vastly more important. Is the "PhD tool set" really not that meaningful to the quality of daily life (outside of securing a career)?

Thanks again for the reply. Not what I expected but it is kind of comforting. I was hoping to tease out what I would be missing out on in life if never joined a program. This sort of relieves some burn of the slow realization that my hopes of an MD/PhD already slipped away.