You all might not realize how influential this message board is

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured this would be of some interest, but I didn't post it directly after it happened in case any relevant parties browse the board (not that it really would have mattered).

So I was eating at a medical school's cafeteria (done a lot of that lately with all the traveling to medschool interviews). At the table next to me was an attending associated with a combined Psych/IM program who was talking with a prospective MS4. The attending mentioned that in the last few years many med-students interested in the dual residency had been having second thoughts specifically due to reading a few posts/threads found on this forum that discouraged the path.

So it seems for good or bad, the information shared on this forum has a noticeable effect on "real life"

Members don't see this ad.

I can believe it. Where else can someone get advice about these somewhat obscure subjects from people who are in the thick of things and really know how it is? This site has influenced some of my real world decisions. :)

A friend of mine (the younger sister of a fraternity brother from college) facebooked me and wrote...

"Are you Whopper from student doctor network?"

I told her I was.

She put two and two together. She is also a psychiatrist that just finished training, she knew my fraternity nickname was Whopper, and she knew that I liked teaching.

She told me a bunch of the students were talking about me...and at a program I never physically visited. I hope they weren't saying bad things.....

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine (the younger sister of a fraternity brother from college) facebooked me and wrote...

"Are you Whopper from student doctor network?"

I told her I was.

She put two and two together. She is also a psychiatrist that just finished training, she knew my fraternity nickname was Whopper, and she knew that I liked teaching.

She told me a bunch of the students were talking about me...and at a program I never physically visited. I hope they weren't saying bad things.....

I can tell you from the recent conference experience where OPD and I "outed" our real identities in order to discuss the SDN phenomenon, that you (Whopper) were often mentioned by students and residents and in only a positive light.

IF I were a PD (in any field), I would be looking for ways to increase my program's profile on SDN. As a community, we should be watching for apparent efforts at "product placement."

IF I were a PD (in any field), I would be looking for ways to increase my program's profile on SDN. As a community, we should be watching for apparent efforts at "product placement."

Though, I think some PDs would rather avoid the types of us who are obsessive and comment endlessly upon anonymous message boards. ;)

I figured this would be of some interest, but I didn't post it directly after it happened in case any relevant parties browse the board (not that it really would have mattered).

So I was eating at a medical school's cafeteria (done a lot of that lately with all the traveling to medschool interviews). At the table next to me was an attending associated with a combined Psych/IM program who was talking with a prospective MS4. The attending mentioned that in the last few years many med-students interested in the dual residency had been having second thoughts specifically due to reading a few posts/threads found on this forum that discouraged the path.

So it seems for good or bad, the information shared on this forum has a noticeable effect on "real life"

Its important to find as much information about such a life influencing decision as residency. These boards are a great source of such information. That being said, if you rule out a field of medicine based on comments by anonymous people on an internet message board, you really weren't seriously considering that field in the first place (or you are extremely co-dependent and can't make decisions on your own).

These boards are a great source of such information. That being said, if you rule out a field of medicine based on comments by anonymous people on an internet message board, you really weren't seriously considering that field in the first place

Agree, but outside of this and other boards there isn't much information to get information. Pre-med offices are made of professors who often have no real medical experience (They simply just look at your GPA and if it's below a 3.8 they tell you to give up).

I think this board would give a premed better advice than one of my premed advisors who had a Ph.D. in an area of the liberal arts and didn't know one thing about being a medical doctor.

Agree, but outside of this and other boards there isn't much information to get information. Pre-med offices are made of professors who often have no real medical experience (They simply just look at your GPA and if it's below a 3.8 they tell you to give up).

I think this board would give a premed better advice than one of my premed advisors who had a Ph.D. in an area of the liberal arts and didn't know one thing about being a medical doctor.

Agreed 1000%. My experience with "advisors" has never been good. I stopped taking their advice when I found that one of mine worked a second job as mall security. Who is that guy to be giving anyone advice? :rolleyes:

Who is that guy to be giving anyone advice

None of the premed advisors where I attended undergrad had any real medical experience to my knowledge at least when I was there. They all did the usual predictable advice.

1) Take chemistry, calculus, and biology all in the first year (academic suicide at RU. They were all weed-out courses especially considering that even the freshman writing course rarely gave out As. I'm not kidding. We had a Rhodes Scholar when I attended RU who had a straight A GPA except for that freshman writing course).
2) Any GPA below a 3.5 or 3.8 depending on your advisor gave mention of quitting the attempt without any condolence, empathy, or inspiration. It was usually an EFF YOU attitude.
3) Any MCAT below a 30, forget it!

No advice given on the possibility of attending a foreign medical school or D.O. school. No advice given on possibly being a physician's assistant or a nurse practitioner for those that truly wanted to go into a clinical track but can't get into M.D. school.

I mean really. Geez, these people in that office had Ph.D.s in some frakkin liberal arts major (e.g. philosophy), and now they're a premed advisor and giving very two dimensional advice to premeds? Did I really have to have someone in a paid position that offered me information that could all fit on 5 index cards? They could offer no advice on what it's really like to work in the field, discussions with people on why they wanted to be a doctor, or anything else you'd expect a premed advisor to do for you. Did they really have to pay some Ph.D. professor to be in that position when they really didn't do anything other than the 3 things above, be able to state that you had to take the premed classes and the MCAT, read your letters of recommendation and ask you to give them a personal statement that they spent pretty much no time helping you on or time critiquing?

I figure someone in that position ought to 1) have some experience in medicine 2) try to encourage people and if people couldn't cut the mustard to give realistic advice with some empathy 3) offer alternatives for those that can't cut the mustard but still want to work clinically 4) be able to offer evidenced based data on the usefulness of things like Princeton Review and Kaplan 4) offer advice on writing personal statements 5) Advise you on getting the right types of letters of recommendation (from a science class, hopefully from a professor and not a TA you spend time with.) Nope. None of them to my knowledge could do the above, or at least they could do it and chose not to do so. Maybe things are different now but back then that's the way it was.

Just wasn't my opinion. I hardly knew anyone happy with the premed office and I knew a lot of premeds. I actually had one of the most favorite advisors there at the time. She wasn't bad, but I didn't think she was good either. I think she was the most favored only because she was attractive (and most of the premeds were guys in their late teens to early 20s go figure), and she wasn't outright mean. Plenty of people I knew had advisors telling them to drop out, even receive comments like "you'll amount to nothing."

My theory is that where I attended college was a heavy premed school and the premed office was probably told by the NJ medschools to weed out everybody because they were already getting over 100 applicants for one spot. (RU was connected to the NJ medschools). I've heard this same type of thing going on in other schools like NYU and UCLA at least when I was college.

I figure at least some of this is better now that we're in the age where everyone carries cell phones and can record surreptitiously. I'm wondering how many schools operate their premed office in the manner above in addition to the school I attended. I don't know how the premed office was in Syracuse because by the time I became convinced to become a doctor I transferred out of there.

Last edited:
Just to speak to the contrary, my uni's premed advisors are phenomenal :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I think sometimes pre-med advisors feel it is advantageous to the school's rankings to be really discouraging to people whom they don't feel cut the mustard or are even equivocal. It helps recruiting potential pre-meds to be able to say that your program has a 95% acceptance rate to American allopathic medical schools. What they don't tell you is that they get that acceptance rate by viciously weeding out anyone whom they're not almost absolutely certain will get in.

The place I did my post-bac program touted an acceptance rate in the 90s percent-wise of those students "whom they recommend". Which kind of makes you wonder how many students in their pre-med program end up not being recommended. [This was over 10 years ago now, so I don't know that things are still that way there.]

I think sometimes pre-med advisors feel it is advantageous to the school's rankings to be really discouraging to people whom they don't feel cut the mustard or are even equivocal. It helps recruiting potential pre-meds to be able to say that your program has a 95% acceptance rate to American allopathic medical schools. What they don't tell you is that they get that acceptance rate by viciously weeding out anyone whom they're not almost absolutely certain will get in.

The place I did my post-bac program touted an acceptance rate in the 90s percent-wise of those students "whom they recommend". Which kind of makes you wonder how many students in their pre-med program end up not being recommended. [This was over 10 years ago now, so I don't know that things are still that way there.]

Not to derail things, but I think this also plays into the "psychology school is more competitive than medical school debate," where many initial pre-meds just don't end up applying because they don't have the grades or scores. A selection bias that skews the actual number of applicants in comparing N's.

Off topic, but this sort of selection bias pervades all medschool and residency-related statistics. For example med schools tout statistics like "90% of our students match into their top 3 choices of residency". First, this only applies to residencies where the medical student was permitted to rank ie where she obtained an interview; and second, medical school deans have a tendency to steer their students towards making 'realistic' choices about where to apply and where to rank.

-AT.

It helps recruiting potential pre-meds to be able to say that your program has a 95% acceptance rate to American allopathic medical schools

That's what several of my buddies told me about NYU while they were there as students in the mid 90s. More than one of them told me of an advisor who bluntly ridiculed students and made very condescending comments to the effect of...

-I got $300 in my wallet. (Places it on the table). I'm going to bet this much money that you never get into medical school. Get out of this while you can still do something else.-

Did this ever truly happen? I don't know. I do know that a few people from NYU who didn't know each other told me the same story. It could've been an urban rumor that developed at NYU but all of them told me the advisors there were condescending, pretentious, and not on your side. They went as to far as to say they felt actualyl in many ways hurt by their advisors by being told to take the most difficult premed schedules possible (just like I felt at RU).

I got no problem with an advisor telling an applicant his or her chances are low, but as I wrote, it should be done with some degree of empathy and with open ended discussion of other possibilities that could happen that are medical field related. That's not been my experience or what I hear from almost every person I've seen in a school that with high pre-med population.

The only theories I can think of as to why an advisor would pull such an venomous attitude is as mentioned above, it makes the school's numbers look great or the advisor just gets a kick out of destroying someone's life dream. If the person just didn't give a damn then they would just not do a good job but the venom would not be there.

Last edited:
Whopper's pre-med advisers sound like the ones I had. One of mine called me a "mediocre" candidate and told me in my sophomore year that I shouldn't even bother applying. She didn't even know what a DO school was... if it weren't for SDN, I wouldn't be becoming a physician.

This place certainly does affect real life. You just have to be an intelligent consumer of the information on here, as with any site on the internet.

This just goes to show you how going to an expensive or prestigious school does not matter nearly as much as people think (esp in high school).

I went to a large state university and got my college almost entirely paid for. This school set me up amazingly well for pre-med especially considering I came from psychology and didn't make the decision to try until Sophmore year.

My pre-med advisors did not have medical experience but brought in doctors/medical students to speak with us. Set up medically related volunteer opportunities for us. Gave me a pre-interview that was much more difficult than any med school interview I had. I had good research and a great GPA but my MCAT was not fantastic. They sat and talked with me and told me not to give up but to retake the MCAT and consider applying to DO schools. They brought a DO school representative to our Pre-Med club to speak with us about DO schools and their opportunities. I ended up getting into the allopathic school on my first try.

I also am glad I went to the medical school I went to because I have been blessed to have interviews at some great residency programs and do not feel that not being from a "top 20 medical school" has hindered me at all. I guarentee that very few people have less debt than I do unless you earned a rare scholarship to med school.

In an area with a big state school, a big private school, a small (reputation-wise) state school, and a community college, I first started pre-med at the small state school. The pre-med advisor was an IMG, which I think was a pretty fantastic setup as he gave pretty realistic advise, as well as introducing me to the DO route before I had ever started on the pre-med track. In contrast, the big private school I attended, which usually is the #2 or #3 school each year in terms of applicants produced nationally, had a horrible pre-med advisory. Of course I could only be saying this because aftermy first experience with them I gave up, but I had gone in for a question regarding fulfilling requirements for biology labs (since we didn't have the standard bio 1 and 2 w/labs and since they know their curriculum better than anyone) and wanted to know if I could take a neurobiology lab to count instead of the molecular bio lab everyone traditionally did. Based upon my experience at my previous, and less well known/funded school, I expected to talk to someone, perhaps a physician, but when I asked the student at the desk who I talk to he pointed me to whatever premed had been designated the 'advisor'. He came out and, being caught off gaurd, asked my question anyway, to which he responded that it would not count. Anyway, the point being that I didn't want to go in and ask specific advice for my situation to some kid who's a big shot pre-med that's more clueless about the process than I am. They also seemed to feel that since my previous bio and lab didn't transfer over to that school (only because general bio 1 didn't exists there) that I would therefor need to do an additional lab, as if all medical schools are bound by their arbitrary transfer policies.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is that this isn't just true for pre-med but rather the whole college spectrum, since my psychology advisors also knew very little. If anyone knows enough about a field, they're probably working in it and not advising people about it. I'd actually like to do a little pre-med advising. I have a friend who got a 36 and had to have had a 3.8+ but was so absolutely clueless that after two cycles has decided maybe to get a masters since he's interested in research (as a career).

The advice my medical school gives and the things they (i.e. non-clinicians who have had no experience with residency selection) emphasize and present to us as being "essential" for residency,is equally horrendous -- one of them being putting together a portfolio that includes, among other useless items, an SP video from pre-clinical years... why any program would waste their time watching fake patient encounters from applicants before they actually worked on their clinical skills is beyond me. I guess the only people it really effects are those who don't do their research, so in that way it is a good screener, whether intentional or not.

[/random vent]

If anyone knows enough about a field, they're probably working in it and not advising people about it.

Exactly. That and a few other factors.

College students are a scared bunch. They know they are up against a virtual leviathan in terms of trying to get into medschool. The last thing they are going to do is to question their premed advisor who in reality is just the Wizard of Oz. Likely a Ph.D. in a liberal arts field, no medical experience, no knowledge of what a DO school even is or what it takes to become a physician's assistant. The premed advisor from what I'm seeing is probably not even wanting to be in that position and is trying to step up to a higher position like a Dean but ouch, they have to start on the bottom of the ladder in some academic position.

But by the time we actually become doctors, we start to realize the Wizard was a big, ahem, fake. Well maybe fake is the wrong word but we realize we really didn't get the level of support we should've from someone called an advisor.

Being an advisor implies the person has a fidiciary responsibility to you when in fact in several colleges, the premed advisor actually is trying to shove you into the weed-out grind. I know this is not the case in every college, it was in mine and several other schools my friends attended.

I realize it's going to cost an arm and a leg to bring in an M.D. to be on staff as an advisor. A premed office doesn't necessarily require an M.D. full-time but they could have one for consultation, bring in an M.D. or medical students to tell the students what it's like in medical school, residents, etc.

In my undergrad, the premed student association did the above. Nope, don't credit the premed office. They didn't do any of it. The frakking college just happened to have a medical school attached to it and plenty of students and attendings that were willing to volunteer these services but no one from the premed office used these resources.

But getting back to the original point that's why I brought this all up on the first place. A board like SDN could've helped me out big time in undergrad when I was the scared student willing to believe my premed advisor that in reality gave me advice that IMHO was actually extremely damaging, ill-informed, and lacking in understanding.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is that this isn't just true for pre-med but rather the whole college spectrum
I'm not surprised and although I'm no expert in professional academia this seems to be the case. I took a course the summer before my freshman year started in a community college and the teacher actually worked in a field he taught. Wow. I actually got someone that knew what he taught from actual experience. I considered that better teaching than a lot of the instruction I got in college. Compare that to college where the guy running something's credientials is that he has a Ph.D. in a totally unrelated field but he wants to be a Dean so he's doing that job. He's not even interested in what he's doing and is trying to get out of that job to the better one. Either that or the multitude of premed courses I took from research professors who openly stated they did not want to be there teaching but were forced to do so by their contract. They even said they would fail a large percentage of the students so leave if you didn't like it (but you needed that course to finish your premed requirements and that was the only one offered!)

Last edited:

This is so true, and it's why I hate the whole "pre med committee letter" part of the med school application. One person can literally keep you from going to medical school, if that one person happens to be the pre-med committee advisor chair of your undergrad school. I didn't really like the other pre-meds, so I stayed away from everything pre-med related until I needed a committee letter my junior year. My committee chair was so shocked she hadn't heard from me yet that she was very reluctant to even see me for an interview about writing my letter, even though I had been taking all the right classes (after all, I can read the requirements all by myself) since freshman year. She finally agreed to do it, but for awhile I was really sweating it. I bet if I HAD come to her freshman year like I was "supposed" to, I would have been discouraged since I didn't fit the typical pre-med mold. And I definitely heard about our "x% acceptance rate"... of people they write letters for.

Off topic, but this sort of selection bias pervades all medschool and residency-related statistics. For example med schools tout statistics like "90% of our students match into their top 3 choices of residency". First, this only applies to residencies where the medical student was permitted to rank ie where she obtained an interview; and second, medical school deans have a tendency to steer their students towards making 'realistic' choices about where to apply and where to rank.

-AT.

Are you implying that people may manipulate variables so that their stats look better than they actually are? My entire outlook on life has now changed!

Are you implying that people may manipulate variables so that their stats look better than they actually are? My entire outlook on life has now changed!

The thing that makes this different in this situation is we're paying the advisor, yet they were still pricks to us and we didn't have another place to get useful information.

Thanks to this forum, premeds have a different place to get their information instead of a Ph.D. in Spanish Literature with ZERO medical experience who never heard of a D.O. school.

This is also a very searchable forum and features prominently in search engines. I always wonder how many people are just lurking on a forum such as this.

It is very different from something like Sermo where the community is relatively small, physician only and not searchable (from the outside at least). I monitor both sites and it is very interesting to see how different the atmosphere is in a physician only site.

The thing that makes this different in this situation is we're paying the advisor, yet they were still pricks to us and we didn't have another place to get useful information.

Thanks to this forum, premeds have a different place to get their information instead of a Ph.D. in Spanish Literature with ZERO medical experience who never heard of a D.O. school.

I'm not arguing that this isn't a good source of information, it certainly is. I just think some decisions are more about self exploration then being influenced by anonymous internet posts, as helpful as they may be.

On the other hand, am I the only one who had good pre-med advisors? Sure they pushed you to do certain things that they thought were "best", but they laid out all the options and were generally very help. Benefits of a small liberal arts school I guess, where you get to know the faculty and they generall care about you.

No problem. In fact I did interpret that from your post but I also wanted to clarify that I do think that some of the members here give good advice. You have to tease out who does based on their previous ones.

I didn't have a premed advisor in Syracuse U, but I was told from a few pre-meds that they were happy with them while there. S.U. didn't follow the pattern of Rutgers. (Remember this is all back when I was in college. Things could be different now). SU didn't have a vast premed population. In fact I only knew 3 students that were premed. At RU a sizeable portion is premed outside the specialized schools such as the art school. This led to very different dynamics such as people in the biology class actually wanting to pursue careers in that field vs. RU where over 90% of the class were premed and the professors developed a weed-out policy. A class where the professor actually wants to teach biology for real vs a class where a research professor doesn't want to be teaching it but is forced to do so because his contract and he's developed a weed-out policy? Go figure where a student will have a better learning experience.

Another factor is that SU was a private school and actually wanted to keep it's students happy. E.g. if mass amounts of students mentioned they were unhappy with the class, the department (Oh Heaven's no!) actually looked into it and would see what it could do to make it better.

I had an experience for example where I had a legitimate problem in a class (an exam where I got 100% was graded as a B-) and the department head was actually willing to talk to me (a freshman snot-nose at the time), and he shook my hand and guaranteed to have the problem fixed. It was fixed 1 hour later. When things like this happened at RU, the department treated me like I was calling up an insurance company trying to get a bill paid. They kept turfing me around, a lot of the professors weren't to be found during their so-called office hours, and a lot of them copped an attitude.

Last edited: