Yippee another Spacer trial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The people who do this are BARBARIANS!
Very occasionally, there is a death or colostomy. It is right there in the fda in database and several articles . Is a human life offset by saving hundreds of men from giving their anus a good scratch? If a hemorrhoid cream had a 1/50000 chance of blowing up your rectum would it be pulled from the market?I know of 2 different major cities where space oar was basically halted because of such events.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Bad data and dying on the hill is what ended BMT for breast cancer.

The deeper one reviews the actual literature, the more these one becomes disconcerted.

I know of a very large medical system that has halted program. $4 billion system, led by an almost comically data driven clinician.

Rectum? Why he nearly killd'um with that spacer gel. I tells ya.. I think I'll skip the colostomy risk for my patients. Hypofrac has been going just fine with CBCT.. and the patients don't need their taint punctured. Large randomized trials show excellent outcomes and resolution back to baseline with EBRT.

1:1000 risk of serious rectal injury to temporarily reduce G2 injury, for a procedure that requires a high degree of user skill and requires the patient to take risk of infection? (coming from someone who did hundreds of seed implants back in the day and was trained by the best in the biz)...

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, yeah - this goes down a whole different rabbit hole.

You were (are?) doing the fiducials yourself, yes? I assume you can probably do the entire procedure in less than 20 minutes?

RadOncs with a high volume/long history of fiducial placement are in a league of their own. I started dipping my toes in the "no fiducial" water because of difficulties in coordinating with Urology, and as time went on, I wasn't seeing any difference, and I started questioning the practice, yadda yadda - no fiducials is now my standard practice.

I'm familiar with those papers, and have some people in my real-life orbit who like to debate this with me every other month or so, and I never make my PTV expansions <5mm if I don't have fiducials as a result. For you cowboys with your 3mm or 4mm margins...yeah, I'd probably go with fiducials for that.
As Amar K has shown, nice potential side effect decrease if you shave 2mm off your 5mm PTVs ;)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
It makes logical sense that increased distance = lower rectal dose = lower toxicity
It’s also (medically) logical not to insert a foreign body in between an organ and a lumen… so there’s logical conflict
but I'm not sure how you can take the opposite stance with such certainty
I think the whole country of Norway took an opposite stance

Bad data and dying on the hill is what ended BMT for breast cancer.

The deeper one reviews the actual literature, the more these one becomes disconcerted.

I know of a very large medical system that has halted program. $4 billion system, led by an almost comically data driven clinician.
BMT ended because an investigation showed the first randomized trial completely fabricated data/there was no randomization and a second randomized trial showed no benefit…

I Totally understand/can agree with people not offering it because low relative benefit (but there is benefit), not meeting the $100,000 QALY bar (I’ll point out plenty of things we do, including anything over 20 fx, that don’t meet that bar), or because of potential rare very large harm (colostomy/death).

But disregarding even the long term randomized trial results, and comparing this to BMT for breast cancer, uh, what?

Note: Not criticizing 44 fractions. It’s fine if you want to do that to reduce acute side effects, just pointing out the cognitive dissonance between being worried about cost effectiveness for this one spacing intervention (which makes doctors/health systems less money and is more work than increasing a few fractions)

Reactions: 1 user
BMT ended because an investigation showed the first randomized trial completely fabricated data/there was no randomization and a second randomized trial showed no benefit…

I Totally understand/can agree with people not offering it because low relative benefit (but there is benefit), not meeting the $100,000 QALY bar (I’ll point out plenty of things we do, including anything over 20 fx, that don’t meet that bar), or because of potential rare very large harm (colostomy/death).

But disregarding even the long term randomized trial results, and comparing this to BMT for breast cancer, uh, what?

Note: Not criticizing 44 fractions. It’s fine if you want to do that to reduce acute side effects, just pointing out the cognitive dissonance between being worried about cost effectiveness for this one spacing intervention (which makes doctors/health systems less money and is more work than increasing a few fractions)
I’m not disregarding the trial. I was a true believer until I studied the results in detail. It’s because I’m regarding the trial that I came to this decision.

Also, no one wants to comment on the procedure being a toxicity. If flomax and Imodium is grade 2, what is anesthesia and perineal skewer?

PACE B. Do you disagree with their toxicity results? This was an impressive study. No spacers.

Spacer defenders - maybe comment on those two points?

Not criticizing 44 fractions. It’s fine if you want to do that to reduce acute side effects, just pointing out the cognitive dissonance between being worried about cost effectiveness for this one spacing intervention (which makes doctors/health systems less money and is more work than increasing a few fractions)
That's just one factor. What about the ****ing elective colostomies and rectal abscesses/IV abx issue??

Doing an intervention to reduce one kind of incredibly low toxicity to begin with thereby causing a lower/non-zero risk of an even more catastrophic one. Proctofoam and argon coagulation >> colostomy for months

I’m not disregarding the trial. I was a true believer until I studied the results in detail. It’s because I’m regarding the trial that I came to this decision.

Also, no one wants to comment on the procedure being a toxicity. If flomax and Imodium is grade 2, what is anesthesia and perineal skewer?

PACE B. Do you disagree with their toxicity results? This was an impressive study. No spacers.

Spacer defenders - maybe comment on those two points?
Sure I’ll answer. Point 1: Yes, I guess you could call a needle in the taint a toxicity. But you don’t hear folks calling Fiducials a grade 2 tox (which is more uncomfortable than most because deeper/more needle pokes, than SpaceOAR, in my experience. I no longer do Fiducials). I tell folks, “SpaceOAR does take an ultrasound in the rectum and a needle poke after I numb up the area. It is uncomfortable. The risk of rectal side effects with radiation is low in general with radiation, but there is a risk of both short term side effects and long term side effects like rectal bleeding or rectal urgency can happen in 1-2% of patients down the line. SpaceOAR separates the rectum from the prostate and it does decrease your short term rectal side effects, if any, and provides a small long term benefit for a very small percentage of patients as well. Like any procedure, it comes with risks of major complications or infections, but in my personal experience, I have not seen much side effects for most except some occasional feeling of rectal fullness for a couple days. I do think it provides a benefit and if your insurance pays for it, I personally would do it. If you’re averse to needles or insurance doesn’t pay for it, which I see with a couple insurance companies unfortunately, it is certainly not required and probably not worth it”

80% of my patients choose spaceoar

Point 2: PACE B results are excellent. I also believe the preponderance of data that says radiation can/does have rectal QOL effects in the short term and long term for a minority (based on lots of other also recent trials with modern day IGRT/treatment technique). I have seen patients with rectal bleeding + urgency months or years after treatment (had one relatively recently who got radiation out of state, came to me because he moved to the area, I referred to GI, I think they did argon laser). It happens. SpaceOAR probably reduces the risk of these not common long term bowel side effects.

Totally fine to not offer SpaceOAR or even debate the data, but saying there is no good data or comparing to BMT for breast cancer or questioning the medical decision making of colleagues who offer it (and I personally believe, based on my personal read of the data and personal experience, offer slightly better care because of it), is a going too far.

Would love to what the Spacer deniers think about the long term data from the randomized trial posted above. Not just dosimetric data. Do you believe the long term bowel QOL results are fabricated due to COI? Do you just believe there is no bowel impact of radiation and they used outdated radiation techniques?

Can’t compare across trials of course, but some of the toxicity differences are larger than conventional fx vs 20 fx…

You’re not going about this in good faith :)

It’s not ever personal when it’s about science. I’m not saying you are like them.

The comparison to BMT is because in the moment, if you were not for it, you were a cretin. The magazine covers, the media stories, everything. Everybody decided that it was the way to cure people. The lawsuits against the insurers, the way people that questioned it got treated.

Let’s focus on the nature of the debate. If it is true that it decreases toxicity in a meaningful way, then it means those that don’t use it are causing undue toxicity. Those that use it are safer.

My review of the evidence, my own experience and after discussion with many colleagues is that 1) with modern technique and planning my toxicity rate is nowhere near the control arm toxicity rate 2) it’s expensive to the system (if not individual patients) 3) the review of the literature shows statistical chicanery 4) every author is getting large amounts of money. Know the proctors? You’d be fascinated to know just how much they make per hour 5) modern results (such as PACE B) have rates of toxicity nowhere near the control arm.

I can’t wait for that institution to publish their results. And others when they actually review their cases. At least the debate can be much more thorough.

Fiducials? Don’t use em. I have cbct and use it like I use MSG. On everything

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re not going about this in good faith :)

It’s not ever personal when it’s about science. I’m not saying you are like them.

The comparison to BMT is because in the moment, if you were not for it, you were a cretin. The magazine covers, the media stories, everything. Everybody decided that it was the way to cure people. The lawsuits against the insurers, the way people that questioned it got treated.

Let’s focus on the nature of the debate. If it is true that it decreases toxicity in a meaningful way, then it means those that don’t use it are causing undue toxicity. Those that use it are safer.

My review of the evidence, my own experience and after discussion with many colleagues is that 1) with modern technique and planning my toxicity rate is nowhere near the control arm toxicity rate 2) it’s expensive to the system (if not individual patients) 3) the review of the literature shows statistical chicanery 4) every author is getting large amounts of money. Know the proctors? You’d be fascinated to know just how much they make per hour 5) modern results (such as PACE B) have rates of toxicity nowhere near the control arm.

I can’t wait for that institution to publish their results. And others when they actually review their cases. At least the debate can be much more thorough.

Fiducials? Don’t use em. I have cbct and use it like I use MSG. On everything
Fair enough! I have (personally) been surrounded by more vocal naysayers about SpaceOAR than ardent supporters (most, like me, believe the data/think it’s the right thing to offer but do not think it is absolutely necessary or dramatic in its impact).

My impression has been that it is spaceoar supporters who are treated like “cretin”(on this forum and from some other academics who don’t offer it/think it’s financially toxic but get 2.5x Medicare from private payers for everything else they do ha)

I am frustrated by the couple of commercial payers who don’t cover it in my area despite the convincing (in my eyes) data and I have to convince patients not to buy it (unless they’re wealthy, then yes, buy it).

Totally open to debate with any one on the science given the data :)

I do think it provides a benefit and if your insurance pays for it, I personally would do it.

Followed by...

80% of my patients choose spaceoar

Uhhmmmmmmmm: is this better or worse (from a neutrality, science based standpoint) than the well funded authors writing platitudes about SpacerOAR? I think not.

Lets see if 80% choose to do it with this opening line:

"Hi, yes there is a thing called SpacerOAR gel and yes, your insurance might cover it. If it does, know that we'll be puncturing your (taint) and putting you at a small risk of infection, and yes, a small risk of permanent rectal injury that could require a colostomy. You know what a colostomy is right (shudders). The benefit? Why, you get to reduce mild rectal toxicity, at least in theory (DVH), and yeah.. thats about it. I want you to make an informed choice so.. what would you like to do? We can do it without the OARgel and simply use CBCT which has excellent results in a high quality center like ours."

I bet 1% choose it.

Honest question, what is the problem with Hamstra's study? That's the one that changed my practice and I was unaware of this newer study until reading about it on this thread.

Honest question, what is the problem with Hamstra's study? That's the one that changed my practice and I was unaware of this newer study until reading about it on this thread.
Will get to that.

Just back of napkin calculation

60,000 or so patients get RT for prostate CA

If we believe Pace data for “control” and presume 3% have late GI toxicity. That’s 1800
patients. Believing that spacer can reduce it to 1.5%. 900 patients spared of this toxicity.

If every patient had to get the spacer, $3000 x 60,000. $180m.

That is $200k per patient that benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Part of me wonders if some individuals are biased because they do not want to do the procedure. #nottryingtohate

Reasonable to wonder. I do cervical brachy and will be adding some other types of brachy. I think some procedures are nice on the weekly schedule, so thats not the reason for me.

All procedures that involve injections and/or sedation are kind of a heavy lift for patients compared to usual EBRT though. I don't really see anyone calling for it to be banned, rather arguing why they do not think people should be offering it.

All I would say is that if you tell patients it is a standard in your clinic, you should just be sure they are getting benefit for their willingness to undergo the procedure.

They also don’t mention the margins individually or for the group in a meaningful way. 5-10mm is quite a range. They said 5mm posteriorly for one of the studies. I do 4mm. Some do 3mm. Every mm counts. If on study people were doing 1cm anterior my for bladder, that’s a whole lot of bladder getting full dose. Amar’s study showed 2mm margin matters a lot

The study was small. 200ish patients I think. 22% grade 1-2 urinary toxicity on the control arm is high. 15% gr 1-2 toxicity for GI is high. So, something is up. Investigator driven trial not inherently bad, but if there was one without, I would lean towards trusting that more. We have what we have, though. I’m not against industry, if you listen to my chat with Viewray about MRL, you’ll note I am biased towards the machine, but I ask tough questions and at the end of the day, I want a machine but I don’t think you can’t replicate with CT if you do it well.

Reactions: 3 users
Reasonable to wonder. I do cervical brachy and will be adding some other types of brachy. I think some procedures are nice on the weekly schedule, so thats not the reason for me.

All procedures that involve injections and/or sedation are kind of a heavy lift for patients compared to usual EBRT though. I don't really see anyone calling for it to be banned, rather arguing why they do not think people should be offering it.

All I would say is that if you tell patients it is a standard in your clinic, you should just be sure they are getting benefit for their willingness to undergo the procedure.
I absolutely think there's a faction of folks who don't want to do the procedure, and are finding ways to justify that desire.

I think that's also why so many departments don't do radiopharm either. My experience in residency was dominated by faculty doing anything they could to stay out of the clinic because being an excellent clinician doesn't get you promoted.

In another example of "tragedy of the commons", decades of this behavior has had downstream effects in all practice settings.

Radiopharm doesn't pay, doesn't generate other referrals, ergo most places won't bother.

Justify the desire not to do the procedure.. hmm.. I'd say maybe because the data isn't convincing.

1676171504919.png

Radiopharm doesn't pay, doesn't generate other referrals, ergo most places won't bother.

Justify the desire not to do the procedure.. hmm.. I'd say maybe because the data isn't convincing.

View attachment 366067
yeah i think this is bigger than the rad onc sometimes. our system has dragged their feet on pluvicto for example. I have a fleeting suspicion this is because it wont make enough $$ for it to be worth it to them.

View attachment 366067
Xofigo is fine, data is good. Bottom line though is that it's basically like med onc, giving a 5 figure drug and trying to make a profit on the drug margin. And if you screw up the billing on even 1/6 doses, you're hosed

Last edited:
If external beam RT reimbursed like radiopharm, and if it were as “non exclusive” as radiopharm (a roentgenologist, rheumatologist, or Rhodesian MD can do radiopharm with the right training certificate)… there’d be no external beam RT.

I think that's also why so many departments don't do radiopharm either. My experience in residency was dominated by faculty doing anything they could to stay out of the clinic because being an excellent clinician doesn't get you promoted.

In another example of "tragedy of the commons", decades of this behavior has had downstream effects in all practice settings.
I think I recall @OTN does radiopharm, but if you’re a PSA group I think starting a RP program is a good way to demonstrate value to the hospital. You eat it in your end because of the low professional RVU, but I believe the hospital makes a lot off technical.

I think I recall @OTN does radiopharm, but if you’re a PSA group I think starting a RP program is a good way to demonstrate value to the hospital. You eat it in your end because of the low professional RVU, but I believe the hospital makes a lot off technical.
I don’t think hospitals get 340b prices for radio pharm. there is close to 0 profit. Waiting 90 days to get paid also really cuts into the 5% margin.

Totally agree.

My original post was a theoretical - so to speak personally, I'm several weeks in to working with my hospital's RSO et al to modify the NRC license which, I discovered, does not appear to currently support anyone doing radiopharm.

I was an AU on my prior hospital's license to do Xofigo and Lutathera, so I proposed we use me to do it here.

I keep telling admin we'll likely lose money but it's a valuable community service.

They keep nodding their heads. We'll see what happens when I try to do our first case....

It's not technical. It's drug margin. Different business and economics. I think it's better then med onc drugs like asp+4-6% but the problem is you get screwed if you don't get reimbursed completely since you are fronting cash for the drug first, unlike ebrt

It's not technical. It's drug margin. Different business and economics. I think it's better then med onc drugs like asp+4-6% but the problem is you get screwed if you don't get reimbursed completely since you are fronting cash for the drug first, unlike ebrt

Yep, we do radiopharm, but it's more to be a complete department than to try to gain additional revenue. Same reason I do TSET and TBI.

Yep, we do radiopharm, but it's more to be a complete department than to try to gain additional revenue. Same reason I do TSET and TBI.
Respect

What is a “complete” department these days. Honest question.
Good question. It's more strategic than anything, as I want referring MDs to just assume we do it all so they can send patients our way no matter what. Same reason we treat patients who cannot pay for free.

• Love
Good question. It's more strategic than anything, as I want referring MDs to just assume we do it all so they can send patients our way no matter what. Same reason we treat patients who cannot pay for free.
I get this.
Its why I am kind of annoyed about pluvicto.
Those patients have to get referred to the ivory tower in town. It is the only real indication for us to refer (outside of BMT or other oncology trials).

I get this.
Those patients have to get referred to the ivory tower in town. It is the only real indication for us to refer (outside of BMT or other oncology trials).
I am guessing that the pluvicto is not given by the radoncs at the Ivory Tower, so hopefully they should come back.

Last edited:
I get this.
Real issues with getting the product produced supposedly so not a lot of product or tx sites out doing it right now

Radiation proctitis is a problem that doesn't exist? As for the bleeding, infection, risk, etc, do you take the same stance on fiducial marker placement? What if the SpaceOAR is placed without general anesthesia?

I've never had a patient get hit with an unexpected charge for this and, if they did, our department would eat it as is our practice. SpaceOAR vue has contrast in the gel and thus a second MRI is not necessary.

I have yet to see an adverse event as a result of a gel placement (though I'm sure if we do enough of them I will see one), so I suppose you have a point there; though again, if you don't summarily dismiss the randomized data, there are likely more adverse events (grade 2+ 5% vs 0% from the Hamstra study) from not using the gel then using it.

Contributes to erosion of public trust? Come on, man. You obviously have a stance that you've taken here, but... possibly a wee bit of hyperbole?
The issues that I have with spacers has to do with publishing bias, industry funded studies, and academic agendas.

This is an industry sponsored study designed to show spacer superiority. The outcome was a foregone conclusion, because that's what the publishers are incentivized to show. This isn't a study asking the question "is spacer better?" but a study designed to generate evidence that spacer is better. By some arbitrary metrics there is improvement in acute toxicity, even though there is unlikely to be a statistically significant difference in late toxicity, so spacers are good! The proponents say "it's better for patients" because of trials like this.

When the hypofractionation studies came out, they showed similar efficacy but small increases in GU/GI toxicity that was deemed to be "unlikely to be clinically relevant." Conventional fractionation was equivalent at worst (similar oncologic outcome) but objectively better from a toxicity standpoint. One could argue that conventional fractionation was a better oncologic treatment (same outcome with less toxicity), but barring some catastrophic toxicity difference, the outcome of these studies were also a foregone conclusion. It's "cheaper for the healthcare system, less time consuming for patients, and thus better for patient care."

So here we have two examples of trials, both showing "a small increase in acute toxicity that is unlikely to be clinically relevant," that reach opposite conclusions based on the agenda of the publishers. Imagine if this was a Canadian trial designed the exact same way without the industry sponsorship, where the agenda is to determine if the Canadian healthcare system should make spacers the standard of care. What do you think the outcome would be?

The difference in total reimbursement (based on RO-APM numbers) for conventional (39 fractions) vs. hypofractionated (28 fractions) prostate treatment is ~$30k vs. ~$20k. Spacers cost ~$3-5k but reimburse us (as physicians) almost nothing. Prostate MRIs cost $1-2k. We've come full circle. We've cut our prostate reimbursement down by 30% but found a way for our treatment cost to creep back up to close to what it used to be in order to compensate for the increased acute toxicity of hypofractionation. However, now we're donating a portion of that money to radiology and to big pharma, putting patients through an extra procedure with a non-zero catastrophic toxicity risk (colostomy, abscess, fistula), all to save them from ~2 weeks of treatment.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
The issues that I have with spacers has to do with publishing bias, industry funded studies, and academic agendas.

This is an industry sponsored study designed to show spacer superiority. The outcome was a foregone conclusion, because that's what the publishers are incentivized to show. This isn't a study asking the question "is spacer better?" but a study designed to generate evidence that spacer is better. By some arbitrary metrics there is improvement in acute toxicity, even though there is unlikely to be a statistically significant difference in late toxicity, so spacers are good! The proponents say "it's better for patients" because of trials like this.

When the hypofractionation studies came out, they showed similar efficacy but small increases in GU/GI toxicity that was deemed to be "unlikely to be clinically relevant." Conventional fractionation was equivalent at worst (similar oncologic outcome) but objectively better from a toxicity standpoint. One could argue that conventional fractionation was a better oncologic treatment (same outcome with less toxicity), but barring some catastrophic toxicity difference, the outcome of these studies were also a foregone conclusion. It's "cheaper for the healthcare system, less time consuming for patients, and thus better for patient care."

So here we have two examples of trials, both showing "a small increase in acute toxicity that is unlikely to be clinically relevant," that reach opposite conclusions based on the agenda of the publishers. Imagine if this was a Canadian trial designed the exact same way without the industry sponsorship, where the agenda is to determine if the Canadian healthcare system should make spacers the standard of care. What do you think the outcome would be?

The difference in total reimbursement (based on RO-APM numbers) for conventional (39 fractions) vs. hypofractionated (28 fractions) prostate treatment is ~$30k vs. ~$20k. Spacers cost ~$3-5k but reimburse us (as physicians) almost nothing. Prostate MRIs cost $1-2k. We've come full circle. We've cut our prostate reimbursement down by 30% but found a way for our treatment cost to creep back up to close to what it used to be in order to compensate for the increased acute toxicity of hypofractionation. However, now we're donating a portion of that money to radiology and to big pharma, putting patients through an extra procedure with a non-zero catastrophic toxicity risk (colostomy, abscess, fistula), all to save them from ~2 weeks of treatment.
Is there a single grade 3/4 spacer placement related toxicity in any of the triaLs?

This is a good analysis of the situation. Why not make it even better? Spacer plus Conv frac! Spacers are a joke since inception and I’ll play along for as long as they let me.

Is there a single grade 3/4 spacer placement related toxicity in any of the triaLs?
I'm not sure, but anecdotally I have seen SpaceOARs so poorly placed that they make absolutely no difference and I have seen two patients with abscesses from SpaceOAR requiring prolonged treatment breaks that likely will affect oncologic outcome.

Last edited:

I don;t believe so but I know personally of a hand full.

Some may not have been captured in the trials. I've had to send a few for procto for minor rectal wall infiltration. Asymptomatic though, I caught on post spaceOAR MRI. So is that a "toxicity?" Certainly there is financial toxicity and angst.

Given that this procedure is now so widespread, only a tiny minority of patients are injected on trials.
Thank god that FDA database exists

Great analysis. Emblematic of a system that keeps raising reimbursement for hospitals and others with inflation and cuts physician pay every year. And let’s large academic systems buy out small community hospitals, employ all the docs, and charge private payers 2x (for no better/different care)

I would argue that most trials are done to generate “X” intervention is better (see: VISION trial and others for Pluvicto, huge problems with the control arms for those trials…designed that way to show superiority of Pluvicto). Relatively speaking, the designs and analysis of the 2 spacing trials are reasonable.

In my neck of the woods, there are more people doing spacing in the community than academics (I would guess 50% patients in community, 25% in academics - mostly for SBRT). Are your all experiences the opposite?

I'm not sure, but anecdotally I have seen SpaceOARs so poorly placed that they make absolutely no difference and I have seen two patients with abscesses from SpaceOAR requiring prolonged treatment breaks that likely will affect oncologic outcome.
Agreed and have also seen plenty of badly placed spacers. I assume many radoncs are hesitant to communicate this with the urologists.

My anecdotal experience and those of several colleagues differs wildly from the trials.

Last edited:
Agreed and have also seen plenty of badly placed spacers. I assume many radoncs are hesitant to communicate this with the urologists.

My anecdotal experience and those of several colleagues differs wildly from the trials.
In my limited experience of talking to rad onc residents about SoaceOAR, even they are suspicious of the SpaceOAR data and don’t love the toxicities from SpaceOAR they see and hear from patients. And when I hear them say that I think: you know what, I probably had more face time with patients as a resident than I do now as a practicing rad onc so it makes sense they’d pick up on subtle (chronic pelvic discomfort eg) SpaceOAR complaints. DSpratt needs to “ketchup” with all his SpaceOAR patients in clinic routinely to see if everyone is well and truly happy with their perirectal “prosthetics.”

• Haha
One thing not well-captured in the spacer trials IMO is immediate bowel-related QOL after the spacer placement but before XRT. I’ve seen a lot of patients at first OTV who complain of a strange sensation in their pelvis/rectum and bothersome change in their bowel habits as they feel like they need to have a bowel movement but then nothing comes out. This is entirely related to the spacer and is at minimum a grade 1 toxicity but gets ignored since QoL is measured following RT on study.

Anecdotally have also seen a case where the gel infiltrated down into the scrotum which caused long lasting severe discomfort for the patient

Reactions: 5 users