yet another post about babies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDream

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just a big ball of confusion. Let me give you a run down. I'm 25 married and just graduated PA school a few months ago, not working just yet, taking the pance in well 3 days. (Think I might be procrastinating here? )

Anyways, I've always been flip flopping between going onto med school, if you were to look at my posting history its obvious this has been someting that i have been stressing over and had mental turmoil for a while. My husband is in medical school entering his second year. I guess my question is when should we have children. I really would prefer not to start a family when I'm in my mid thirties for personal reasons (ill family members and wanting to make sure my children know them). I don't want to necessarily postpone medical school indefinitely but I am afraid that I will go on, have children during my third or fourth year or during residency and realize I wanted to focus more on family. That's the luxury of my pa profession. We (my husband and I) have been throwing the idea of trying to get pregnant in the next 6 months which would a newborn during third year. I know rotations can be taxing from first hand experience but nothing near what interns go through. I just assume a newborn during third year or fourth year is better than intern year. Hmmm. I don't know. Any thoughts? I guess it will be much harder to decide to go onto medical school later with a child, but then again i have a HUGE advantage being a pa in medical school (no one can tell me otherwise, every pa who went to med school knows it) and would be ahead of the game and not have to study as much. Any thoughts? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

From your husban's stand point: my wife had a baby during 1st year and during 3rd year. (2 is much more difficult than 1 by the way). It has been tougher since I was a 3rd year but I think it has more to do with the fact that we have 2 kids and our nearest relatives are 2000 miles away. We have managed pretty well with no intention of killing each other or ourselves.

In my opinion (based on this single post): don't go to med school, have your babies now, in 5-7 years see where you are and consider going back. In my class we have a couple of PAs, one was much older than the rest of the class and has managed fine.

Also even if you did well in PA school you will still have to study hard because I guarantee you won't remember all of the details necessary for the tests. I know that a couple of months after a test I have already forgotten most of what I have learned.

From your husban's stand point: my wife had a baby during 1st year and during 3rd year. (2 is much more difficult than 1 by the way). It has been tougher since I was a 3rd year but I think it has more to do with the fact that we have 2 kids and our nearest relatives are 2000 miles away. We have managed pretty well with no intention of killing each other or ourselves.

In my opinion (based on this single post): don't go to med school, have your babies now, in 5-7 years see where you are and consider going back. In my class we have a couple of PAs, one was much older than the rest of the class and has managed fine.

Also even if you did well in PA school you will still have to study hard because I guarantee you won't remember all of the details necessary for the tests. I know that a couple of months after a test I have already forgotten most of what I have learned.
I agree, great advice.

I considered that route (at 28) and decided against it. But also my husband is already in residency (intern year) and is planning on doing a fellowship. I'm planning on kids while in school depending on which of the two schools I've applied. One is farther than the other.

Another thing to consider (which I had to consider and got screwed). We planned on me going to the same med school he did, residency didn't work out like that. Things happen for a reason. We're happier where we are now but if I had started school, I'd have to transfer etc. I'd probably say go for the kids and work, and go back when you're 30 or so. He'll know where his career path is and you won't be forced to move around. Plus you can help him consider his future with your future in mind.

I know quite a few women had kids first and went to school from 28-35 and suggested to me, but my career path of what I want to do is a 3 year residency AND fellowship so I'll already be finishing in my late 30's. I might consider ditching the fellowship but we'll see. I have learned trying to plan too far down the road never works. I'm OCD about planning like that. But just take things as they come. I'd have children now if I thought we were ready but we're still newlyweds and right now we can't take care of ourselves we're so busy, let alone children. Just make sure you really think about what you want and what you are ready to handle as a couple.

Best of :luck:

EMDream---

???WTF

image.php

Is that your pic? I think you are too hot to go into medicine. Seriously. Im not joking.